Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Subverting Clichés in World Building: Don't Be Afraid!

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

Edited By ahoodedfigure

(Since typing seems to go only slightly slower than normal, I'll still ramble now and again, at least.  And the video page is strangely less hard to navigate than the information pages, except for them getting rid of the sift-through-types-of-videos-while-you're-watching-another-video function, which I miss. )

A Little of the Ol' Rope-a-Trope

When compared to GB, this Dragon Age promotional site is the worse slog as far as old steam-driven bessie here is concerned, but the reason I bring it up is it's the starting point for a little chat about fantasy worlds (and world building in general).  I'm the kind of person who doesn't equate the word "fantasy" with dwarves and elves necessarily; I'm as likely to include stuff written by Harlan Ellison, and quite a bit of what's called science fiction by some, in the category fantasy and not think twice about it.  I like fantasy to be just that, an exploration of concepts without worrying so much about following the laws of physics.  It's the dream logic that makes stories still interesting to us, even after we've achieved so much with technology.

If I must experience something with dwarves and elves, I enjoy it if there's at least a new spin on an old cliché.  Once in a while, popular games will have the wherewithal to manage this; I can't help but cackle with glee when I hear about the latest attempt by the Blizzard crew to break with convention in World of Warcraft, for example. And from what I've gathered from the six profiles on the Dragon Age site above, it seems they're trying something new with the way Elves and Dwarves are depicted.  I'll leave it up to you to explore for yourself, or we can chat about in the comment section if you like.  The profiles on that site are good examples, from what I've seen so far, of a creative take on time-worn tropes.

What bothers me is the strange fear that a lot of people have for changing things up, and I guess that's the focus of this entry.  I like to play pen and paper RPGs once in a while, and the reticence there is probably felt more strongly there than in computer gaming, but there are some similarities.  There, people will refuse to buy your product if you mess with elves or dwarves or magic too much.  They want their fantasy to follow a narrow, predictable path.  Any new stuff will come from political backstabbing, betrayals, and the like.  To me that all sounds like the sort of dynamicism you'd find in a potboiler novel, not an attempt at something new and interesting, but some folks are dead set against innovation.

I have a friend who has been running a pen-and-paper game on and off for longer than many of the Giant Bomb users have been alive, back to the first days of Dungeons and Dragons when everything was practically cut and pasted from the world of J.R.R. Tolkien.  Over the years, DnD has gone through some changes, branched out into what I, and the dude who runs those games, think is interesting territory.  Settings like Spelljammer, which has strange craft powered by mages which float from crystal sphere to crystal sphere in the aether, Dark Sun, which has a brutal desert world forsaken by the gods and run by corrupt kings, and Planescape, the setting that inspired arguably one of the best CRPGs in gaming history (or at least people still look back at that game fondly whenever the subject comes up).  I've provided some links to the games they inspired, but I'm still talking about pen-and-paper for a moment.  My friend and I were wowed by these new settings, and when we met many years later we reminisced about these neat settings and the clichés they dumped wholesale overboard. 

But guess which setting remains, which setting is the favorite, after all these years?  The tried and dried Forgotten Realms, which at times doesn't even bother to hide the fact that they're just putting a fantasy patina over what is really ancient Japan or medieval Europe, with ethereal elves, crafting-and-mining dwarves which seem a crossbreed of Klingons and flagrantly stereotypical Scottish Highlanders, and the usual gang of stupid peasants and stuffy nobles you'd normally find at an exceptionally embarrassing ren faire. 

If anyone takes me to task for making cheap shots there, I'll just say that was the exasperation talking.

My buddy tried over many years to introduce his own worlds, and many others, including those above and stuff like Eberron, into new campaigns.  The players would entertain his desires for a little while, then somehow scuttle the game and go back to Forgotten Realms again.  Expand this a bit, and this is what goes on during flame wars when people fiddle with an old formula.  In some of my previous entries I've mentioned a couple of examples, like the Forge Town in Heroes of Might and Magic.  People really want game designers to toe the line, and some put more energy into stopping the plans of these designers than they put into arguably more important areas of their lives.

I realize why pandering is so popular: it's immediately accessible.  Most people who are into fantasy RPGs know the clichés and can immediately build upon them, notice characters who defy the stereotypes, know how a character will act and why, and act accordingly.  And gamers are often a lot who are quick to condemn change;  We're all trying to repeat that time we had when we were young, that fun space game we played, that great race where we just barely got first place.  We want our new console to do the same stuff, only better.  We make these demands on game creators and, just like my poor game master friend, they're itching to try something new, but are stuck doing the same damned thing over and over.

It wears creators down, and waters down what they do.  I'm betting most of the creators out there who are worth their salt want to go crazy with creativity, trying all kinds of mind-blowing weirdness that would be fine company for the likes of Noby Noby Boy and other genre busters, and even in the more predictable realm of 1st person shooters and computer role-playing games, people might make environments that would be a blast to explore, showing us stuff that simply COULDN'T exist in real life no matter how you tweaked the physics engine.  But they're afraid of pissing us off, basically, no matter how sound the gameplay mechanics might be.

So when I see Dragon Age (or even Arcanum, or Gladius) trying something new, even with the same old same old, I get a bit excited.  I wonder if maybe THIS will be accessible just enough to slip by people's defenses enough to surprise them.  I can't speak for the quality of Dragon Age, and sometimes some experiments of the past would have benefited from a couple more years of development, but I think when designers at least have the guts to change things up a bit they deserve some extra attention, especially when it comes to the stodgy genre that is "fantasy."
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure

(Since typing seems to go only slightly slower than normal, I'll still ramble now and again, at least.  And the video page is strangely less hard to navigate than the information pages, except for them getting rid of the sift-through-types-of-videos-while-you're-watching-another-video function, which I miss. )

A Little of the Ol' Rope-a-Trope

When compared to GB, this Dragon Age promotional site is the worse slog as far as old steam-driven bessie here is concerned, but the reason I bring it up is it's the starting point for a little chat about fantasy worlds (and world building in general).  I'm the kind of person who doesn't equate the word "fantasy" with dwarves and elves necessarily; I'm as likely to include stuff written by Harlan Ellison, and quite a bit of what's called science fiction by some, in the category fantasy and not think twice about it.  I like fantasy to be just that, an exploration of concepts without worrying so much about following the laws of physics.  It's the dream logic that makes stories still interesting to us, even after we've achieved so much with technology.

If I must experience something with dwarves and elves, I enjoy it if there's at least a new spin on an old cliché.  Once in a while, popular games will have the wherewithal to manage this; I can't help but cackle with glee when I hear about the latest attempt by the Blizzard crew to break with convention in World of Warcraft, for example. And from what I've gathered from the six profiles on the Dragon Age site above, it seems they're trying something new with the way Elves and Dwarves are depicted.  I'll leave it up to you to explore for yourself, or we can chat about in the comment section if you like.  The profiles on that site are good examples, from what I've seen so far, of a creative take on time-worn tropes.

What bothers me is the strange fear that a lot of people have for changing things up, and I guess that's the focus of this entry.  I like to play pen and paper RPGs once in a while, and the reticence there is probably felt more strongly there than in computer gaming, but there are some similarities.  There, people will refuse to buy your product if you mess with elves or dwarves or magic too much.  They want their fantasy to follow a narrow, predictable path.  Any new stuff will come from political backstabbing, betrayals, and the like.  To me that all sounds like the sort of dynamicism you'd find in a potboiler novel, not an attempt at something new and interesting, but some folks are dead set against innovation.

I have a friend who has been running a pen-and-paper game on and off for longer than many of the Giant Bomb users have been alive, back to the first days of Dungeons and Dragons when everything was practically cut and pasted from the world of J.R.R. Tolkien.  Over the years, DnD has gone through some changes, branched out into what I, and the dude who runs those games, think is interesting territory.  Settings like Spelljammer, which has strange craft powered by mages which float from crystal sphere to crystal sphere in the aether, Dark Sun, which has a brutal desert world forsaken by the gods and run by corrupt kings, and Planescape, the setting that inspired arguably one of the best CRPGs in gaming history (or at least people still look back at that game fondly whenever the subject comes up).  I've provided some links to the games they inspired, but I'm still talking about pen-and-paper for a moment.  My friend and I were wowed by these new settings, and when we met many years later we reminisced about these neat settings and the clichés they dumped wholesale overboard. 

But guess which setting remains, which setting is the favorite, after all these years?  The tried and dried Forgotten Realms, which at times doesn't even bother to hide the fact that they're just putting a fantasy patina over what is really ancient Japan or medieval Europe, with ethereal elves, crafting-and-mining dwarves which seem a crossbreed of Klingons and flagrantly stereotypical Scottish Highlanders, and the usual gang of stupid peasants and stuffy nobles you'd normally find at an exceptionally embarrassing ren faire. 

If anyone takes me to task for making cheap shots there, I'll just say that was the exasperation talking.

My buddy tried over many years to introduce his own worlds, and many others, including those above and stuff like Eberron, into new campaigns.  The players would entertain his desires for a little while, then somehow scuttle the game and go back to Forgotten Realms again.  Expand this a bit, and this is what goes on during flame wars when people fiddle with an old formula.  In some of my previous entries I've mentioned a couple of examples, like the Forge Town in Heroes of Might and Magic.  People really want game designers to toe the line, and some put more energy into stopping the plans of these designers than they put into arguably more important areas of their lives.

I realize why pandering is so popular: it's immediately accessible.  Most people who are into fantasy RPGs know the clichés and can immediately build upon them, notice characters who defy the stereotypes, know how a character will act and why, and act accordingly.  And gamers are often a lot who are quick to condemn change;  We're all trying to repeat that time we had when we were young, that fun space game we played, that great race where we just barely got first place.  We want our new console to do the same stuff, only better.  We make these demands on game creators and, just like my poor game master friend, they're itching to try something new, but are stuck doing the same damned thing over and over.

It wears creators down, and waters down what they do.  I'm betting most of the creators out there who are worth their salt want to go crazy with creativity, trying all kinds of mind-blowing weirdness that would be fine company for the likes of Noby Noby Boy and other genre busters, and even in the more predictable realm of 1st person shooters and computer role-playing games, people might make environments that would be a blast to explore, showing us stuff that simply COULDN'T exist in real life no matter how you tweaked the physics engine.  But they're afraid of pissing us off, basically, no matter how sound the gameplay mechanics might be.

So when I see Dragon Age (or even Arcanum, or Gladius) trying something new, even with the same old same old, I get a bit excited.  I wonder if maybe THIS will be accessible just enough to slip by people's defenses enough to surprise them.  I can't speak for the quality of Dragon Age, and sometimes some experiments of the past would have benefited from a couple more years of development, but I think when designers at least have the guts to change things up a bit they deserve some extra attention, especially when it comes to the stodgy genre that is "fantasy."
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Great Post.
    I agree with you in that people seem to enjoy cliches because of the familiarity, however another thing you should remember is that these cliches profit. Planescape sold like 5 copies worldwide, while Baldur's Gate II (Not that i'm bashing BGII, I think it is one of the best games ever, but the characters are better than the setting in this case) sold over a million. Terry Brooks has made a lot of money by recycling the same tired characters and plot devices in his Shanarra Books over and over again.

As for Dragon Age, I'm cautiously optimistic for the setting, but the way that the developers sling around a term like "Dark, Mature Fantasy" annoys me to no end. To me, that means Lord of the Rings but with gore and perhaps boobs, and a lot of neutral oriented moral choices in the Role Playing, which is just another form of cliche.

And once again, you mention the forge town, which reminds me of how annoyed I am that they removed it for the stupid conflux, which is perhaps the only damper on Heroes III, which is an otherwise excellent game.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Profit is in the subtext of what I'm talking about when I mean accessibility.  I don't think I need to say it explicitly; as far as I'm concerned it's straight implied in the text, but I guess I should probably be more plain about it since people will suggest I'm somehow forgetting the business side of things.

BGII has some bugs, but has some interesting situations.  I never finished it because I felt like I just wanted to play the first one again, with its wilderness exploration and interesting side treks. 

I'm not too worried how they package Dragon Age, what matters is what they actually do.  The packaging is just like with us worrying about dwarves and elves, since it comes down to how we feel about the color of the wrapping paper they use, us having zero idea what's going on in the game itself.  I'm not sure there IS such a thing as light (?) fantasy in the current market, and in general, in society as a whole, there's this push toward dissonance that naturally extends to RPGs as well, so it being called dark to me is sort of redundant. 

I don't know if you've read LOTR, but that sucker's dark, too.  Hobbit might be a bit more lighthearted, but LOTR goes down some pretty messed up paths, and I think it's the better for it.  I'm not even sure what dark means anymore, so maybe that's their big problem with their marketing, and don't get me started on what "mature" means anymore.

As far as moral choices, I have yet to play a game that handles those in an interesting way that isn't obviously "bad/neutral/good."  I always pick good, if it's obvious.  I wish moral choices were like that in real life (here's a hint: no, they aren't), but in games I like things to be all tangled up in the context of the event, and choosing what is stereotypically good in some situations is actually a really bad idea.

TheGr3mliin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheGr3mliin

I see your point although i am really into tolkien fantasy and love his archatypes for fantasy races which have become the norm, so i do just flat like the stereotypical ones the best. I am however open to change and would like to see some experiementation in fantasy gaming, but wouldn't it be easier to if say you were going to play around with the concept of elves why not simply in your own head create a new version of the elf and simply rename it to avoid the prejudice.

Just a thought but like I said I really like the stereotypical archatypes they just fit more to me. 
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @TheGr3mliin: I understand what you're saying, but as far as stereotypes, they've sort of diverged from Tolkien.  Elves are often seen as snobs or out of touch, when I'd argue in Tolkien they tended to represent the paragon of creation, only outdone by men for their capacity for ascendant grace and hobbits for their resistance to corruption.  Yes, I am a nerd. 

I think part of the problem with renaming is that you lose the potential audience that would at least like some form of elf.  Me, I prefer just getting rid of the old stuff completely and trying something new, but often, perhaps wrongly, fantasy game makers seem to feel pressured into at least presenting what on the surface is supposed to be the things we come to expect in fantasy, only to subvert those expectations for something refreshing. 

I can see how that might disappoint someone who was expecting more of the familiar, although at the same time I wonder how anyone who expects the familiar can really feel satisfied when, even within accepted stereotypes there's a wide degree of interpolation.  Dungeons and Dragons elves aren't very much like Tolkien's elves, for example.  Not sure who winds up being displeased with that, but maybe the differences are understood well enough by fans that it's not a big deal.

Though it's plain that I prefer change or outright new concepts, I understand where you're coming from on a basic level.  Thanks a lot for your post!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.