Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Why don't these games ever have FF scope?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By veektarius

First let me preface this complaint by saying that I enjoy Dragon Age and while I wish fighters had a bit more stamina, or faster regeneration of stamina, I'm enjoying the game pretty thoroughly.  Nevertheless, my anticipation of the growing story is overshadowed by a realization that hit me as soon as I saw the world map.  That is, DA:O is centered almost entirely within a single nation, which is itself not a particularly large part of the world it exists in.  By the end of the game, you'll still be like most Americans who haven't gone to another country that isn't Canada or Mexico.   
    Conversely, most fantasy novels (ostensibly the source material for western RPGs and NOT Japanese ones) show the heroes travelling across at least an entire continent, and par for the JRPG is to have the entire world at your disposal by game's end.  To a certain extent, this is just a matter of scale - if you made every inhabited location in Baldur's Gate, NWN2, or Dragon Age ten times further apart, you'd be approaching the geographic distance commonly portrayed in fantasy stories.  And yet, it seems to me that all too often, these locations are backwaters and outposts, not the real cities/cultural centers that distinguish one place from another and give you a real feeling of having gone somewhere.  Take for example (to those of you who have played already) Lotherin and Redcliffe village - one has a bit more grass than the other, but as far as locations go, they're both pretty much rundown medieval villages.  How many of those do you see in Final Fantasy? 

Anyway, what do you guys think?  Are WRPGs missing the boat with their scale, or are my expectations 'leagues beyond' the average RPGamer?

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By CowMuffins
    @Veektarius said:
    " By the end of the game, you'll still be like most Americans who haven't gone to another country that isn't Canada or Mexico. "
    What is this implying?
    Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Gahzoo

Yeah but most of the time there isn't anything to do in the worlds of FF games, take FF4 for example. 

And also in Final Fantasy 12, you cover alot of distance, but alot of land is left over, and you are only on a relatively small area on the map. 

I think it's better when games do this, and helps with the immersion.  

also CowMuffins, I think it's just him being ignorant. 

It costs alot of money to fly overseas, and I would like to go to Europe, but I can't see myself doing that for awhile
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PureRok
    @CowMuffins said:

" @Veektarius said:

" By the end of the game, you'll still be like most Americans who haven't gone to another country that isn't Canada or Mexico. "
    What is this implying? "
    That most Americans don't go anywhere other than Canada and/or Mexico. Basically, what they said.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By pause422

I like DAO just the way it is thank you.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Bigandtasty

Sci-fi WRPGs have you traveling to different planets. No problem with scale there.

Fantasy novels can get away with skipping the travel time, because they can just say "it took a hundred days to cross the continent" and leave it at that; if a game made you spend a hundred in-game days to cross the continent, you'd probably be pissed. With fantasy WRPGs it's just not plausible to have to spend that much time on travel unless you have some sort of portal magic to take you everywhere, which would defeat the purpose of making the world seem big.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Red

Not every single game needs the whole entire world in its scope. I think it's a breath of fresh air to see a game where you're not trying to save the whole world.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By DukeTogo

Because FF sucks?

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By endaround

And when FF games open up in the 4th act you're bored to tears because there isn't enough story to continue to cover the upcoming grind

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By CenturionCajun

I think there is more than enough story to be told in Dragon Age that we don't need an excessive amount of window dressing. Plus I'm sure they are leaving other regions of the world, such as Orleis, out of things to be covered in future installments.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#11  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it. 

Yes, really. 

Look, a game's scope doesn't matter squat if there aren't enough interactions to warrant the scope.  In the same vein, a game with smaller scope packed with stuff to do is just as entertaining as a larger overall world.  I enjoy a large overworld too, but it's not crucial, especially in a game where the focused story works so well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.