Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age

Franchise »

Dragon Age is a series of fantasy medieval role-playing games by BioWare. BioWare considers it a spiritual successor to their Baldur's Gate RPG gaming series. It is furthered upon through the creation of comics, books and other forms of media. Truly this is the age of dragons.

Dragon Age Books

CollyWolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CollyWolly

Has anyone read any of the Dragon Age books? Are they any good?

I read The Fall of Reach and Mass Effect Retribution but didn't think either was very good. Wondering if my luck with books based on video games could change with this series.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Dragon Age books are worse than the Mass Effect ones.

If you want some fantasy novels that tie into an upcoming videogame I highly recommend the Witcher series.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I read The Stolen Throne and The Calling, they were both pretty decent, I preferred The Stolen Throne since It was about Maric and his rebellion. Also the Mass Effect books (Written by Drew Karpyshyn not the last one) were pretty ok too. I'm not saying theyre fantastic but they definitely add to a universe that I really like.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope @vinny takes a moment of his time and chimes in on all those useless novels he read.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Has anyone read any of the Dragon Age books? Are they any good?

I read The Fall of Reach and Mass Effect Retribution but didn't think either was very good. Wondering if my luck with books based on video games could change with this series.

Both of the David Gaider books are bad. Not necessarily plot, but the actual prose of the work is bad. Really, really bad. I don't know if I thought Asunder was alright because I had read two really shitty books before it, but I didn't mind it. Once again, plot was fine, prose was bad functional in Asunder.

The Masked Empire is actually alright though. I'd say it hugs the space between mediocre and quite good. As far as tie-in novels go, that's the best you can hope for.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I read The Stolen Throne and thought it was pretty bad. The writing was just weak. Not that I think that's necessarily the authors fault, considering all of the time skips and uncovered material I imagine he wasn't given very much time to write the book.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I read The Stolen Throne and thought it was pretty bad. The writing was just weak. Not that I think that's necessarily the authors fault, considering all of the time skips and uncovered material I imagine he wasn't given very much time to write the book.

From what I've heard the time skips are the result of a 250 page hard limit on the book or something like that, I liked the plot for it but the time skips definitely turned me off on it to some degree.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@hunter5024 said:

From what I've heard the time skips are the result of a 250 page hard limit on the book or something like that, I liked the plot for it but the time skips definitely turned me off on it to some degree.

Wow that's a pretty harsh limit for a fantasy book. Perhaps they were just trying to accomplish too much with such a limited page count.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.