Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai HD Collection

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 06, 2012

This collection contains the HD versions of DBZ Budokai & Budokai 3.

So is this collection worth picking up?

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By TechHits

I'm a fairly casual fan of DBZ and I was wondering if these games are worth the price of admission. Seems like a lot of great games are getting HD rereleases and I just wanted to know if this is something I should look into?

themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By themoon13

If you want a DBZ fighter, you can't go wrong with Budokai 3 (1 was cool, but you only really need 3). 3 is legitimately a good game. However, if you want online play primarily, don't get this. There is none.

Edit: I just realized you said casual fan. These games are simple to pick up and 3 has the "big cinematic DBZ fight" feel.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By jacksukeru

Are you into fighting games? If so the simplicity if this one might turn you off, but it's got a decent selection of characters with a lot of their different forms, pretty good presentation, some fun costumization with different abilities and a story mode that covers all 4 "sagas" (but also has SSJ4 and Omega Shenron). There's also a little bit of secret non-canon alternative stuff in there that's pretty fun if i recall.

I am of course talking about Budokai 3, never played 1 or 2.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

The third game is a relatively simple, but pretty damn fun fighting game. If you want to be introduced to the genre and are scared of all the depth that some of the heavier-handed fighting games have, then you just can't go wrong with Budokai 3. It's also just plain fun for you and a buddy to fire up and throw Kamehameha waves at each other or try to hold your buddy off long enough to become a Super Saiyan 3 (or 4) and proceed to show him what a curbstomping really is.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SomeDeliCook

God I miss playing DragonBall Z Legends =(

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By gla55jAw

They should have added Budokai 2 into this. I liked the board game mode they had. 3 is a pretty fun game, at least for a Dragon Ball fan, it was back in the day. Actually, so was the first game, for it's time. I like them better than the Tenkaichi games (Super DBZ was great too).

I've been picking up all these HD collections recently. I would say wait and pick it up when you can find it for $15-20, as all of these collections go on sale eventually for around that price. Hell, I just picked up brand new copies of the Killzone Triology ($20) and the Ratchet & Clank Collection ($15) with a coupon from GameStop, and Killzone only came out 10 days ago.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TechHits

@believer258: @JackSukeru: Yes I am into fighting games, and I have played every FG release since this gen started, but I wasn't really looking for these to be good fighting games. I was more interested in whether or not they were quality DBZ games, but it would also be nice if they were not just button mashers I guess.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

@TechHits said:

@believer258: @JackSukeru: Yes I am into fighting games, and I have played every FG release since this gen started, but I wasn't really looking for these to be good fighting games. I was more interested in whether or not they were quality DBZ games, but it would also be nice if they were not just button mashers I guess.

What, precisely, do you mean by "good DBZ games?" The music is cheesy, the dialogue is bad, there's plenty of powering up to be done, and a long mane of Samson-like golden hair makes you the most powerful of them all. Plus, you're going to be saying "KAMEHAMEHA!" a whole lot. Or maybe Galick Gun. Or whatever your character's equivalent of that famous blue wave of energy is.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By UncleDisco

@believer258 said:

@TechHits said:

What, precisely, do you mean by "good DBZ games?" The music is cheesy, the dialogue is bad, there's plenty of powering up to be done, and a long mane of Samson-like golden hair makes you the most powerful of them all. Plus, you're going to be saying "KAMEHAMEHA!" a whole lot. Or maybe Galick Gun. Or whatever your character's equivalent of that famous blue wave of energy is.

Also when you do an ultimate, it does a nice zoom out of you blowing a hole in the planet.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TechHits

@FlemmingM: Not enough modern games allow me to zoom in while blowing holes in the planet... perhaps this game is for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.