Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

ThePartisanSpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I played DBZ:K for 25 hours and completed 50% of its storyline, here are my topline thoughts:

1. A game made for fans or potential fans. It is first an anime show and then a game.
  2. There are dozens or hundreds of cutscenes at main missions, all of them with voice-over acting.
  3. Most of the game you will be watching cutscenes or arena fighting.
  4. It has no lead hero and you can play/fight with various characters.
  5. It's not an RPG open-world game, even though there are similar features: collecting, side missions, inventory, etc…

Anyone else playing it? I plan to keep playing it until I complete the campaign.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As somebody who watched some of Dragonball Z (got up to the end of the Frieza fight) and got kinda exhausted by it, I'm enjoying the cut down version of the storyline the game presents.

Graphically it doesn't look like much at first glance but the action scenes look fantastic, particularly the expressions on the characters. There's a scene where a super angry Vegeta throws everything he's got at Cell which stuck in my mind.

It's better than I expected it to be, but there's definitely stuff in it that just isn't fun to do. e.g. the driving and mech stuff.. Just isn't designed very well. And the voice lines get really repetitive. But that's not a game changer.. seems like that's just something all the voiced Dragonball games have.

As for the arena battles... Much easier to control than in something like Xenoverse, which I could not get into. There's a bit more nuance to it here.

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the game. Seriously. Objectively yes its lacking in so many aspects and the depth isn't there in terms of an RPG...but god damn this game is addictive and fun for me (a Huge DBZ fan who loves reliving the story). ITs not perfect and is missing some stuff from the anime but generally it flows well. The sidequests stuff isn't the most interesting but i like doing them.

I just love being my fav characters and going through this game. Really really enjoying it so far.

souldeux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By souldeux

If anyone has played both DBZ:K and Ni No Kuni 2, how do they compare? A lot of the overworlding and combat I've seen of the former reminds me of the latter.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having a blast with DBZK. The way it explores the DBZ universe and includes all sorts of awesome little details is unparalleled in any other DBZ game. It really feels like a love-letter to the series.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It feels like one of those games thats just kind of... Okay. There's a bunch of little things that are annoying or questionable, but it's not enough to build up to a breaking point. It's fine? It's fine.

It definitely knows how to pinpoint fans of DBZ and what would engage them, but it also has some severe pacing issues and gets pretty lazy with the source material as the game goes on. Like it was meant to be a comprehensive look at the overall DBZ story while simultaneously acknowledging that you probably already know all this by now so let's just keep it moving. The cutscenes they bother to spend time animating look like they were ripped right out of the anime/manga (which is great), but the majority are 'one talking head speaking to the back of another talking head'. But it's still... Okay.

Playing it reminds me of playing Dynasty Warriors. There are a lot of criticisms you could level against the game, and you wouldn't be wrong, but it's still like being wrapped in a comfy blanket eating junk food while listening to a podcast. It's fine.

librariangmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 10

I absolutely love it. I was a huge fan of the show in college and this has absolutely rekindled it. I think the tech makes the game look fantastic and in some cases, blurs the line between textures and hand drawn animation. I do find the frequent loading to be really annoying (the game has to load the area during scene shifts) and the Community/Soul Emblem stuff is pretty "meh" but on the whole, this is the best Dragon Ball Z game I've played.

WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If Piccolo is in your party and you have a full-course meal he sits with arms folded and has a glass of water in front of him. 10/10

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm getting the impression that this can be summarized as the three Legacy of Goku games from the GBA rolled up into one, give or take.

I think I'm okay with that. I still like the Xenoverse games for the sake of playing as my own OCs, but I'll pick this up during a sale.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OurSin_360

As someone who grew up on DB and DBZ (before it was "cool"lol) I would love to see a game set in the super universe instead. I've watched and played these stories 100's of times over the past 25+ years, and I really liked how super (at least the anime) really nailed the characters and motivations (maybe even more than DBZ after the cell saga lol).

I mean they even were self aware enough to take jabs at Yamcha lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.