Leaked Dragonball trailer makes me want to jump out a window

#1 Posted by Milkman (19298 posts) -

Why? Just why do it? Somebody please tell me why!

#2 Posted by Weltal (2304 posts) -

O.O
It's the first ever live action movie? That's quite an accomplishment!

#3 Posted by Lies (3985 posts) -

So is this based off of Dragonball, or Dragonball Z?

I honestly never watched either, but innit Goku supposed to be a tiny child in DragonBall?

#4 Posted by Milkman (19298 posts) -
Lies said:
"So is this based off of Dragonball, or Dragonball Z?

I honestly never watched either, but innit Goku supposed to be a tiny child in DragonBall?

"
Honestly, I have no idea. What I just saw resembles neither Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z.
#5 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6872 posts) -

Next Battlefield Earth, you heard it here first.

#6 Posted by clubsandwich (3965 posts) -

dragon ball z fans = owned

lol this makes me happy, I know a bunch of people that thought this crap was awesome.
#7 Posted by Black_Rose (7772 posts) -

This is supposed to be the original Dragon Ball series. This is going to be terrible, makes me feel ashamed to be a DB fan.

#8 Posted by inevpatoria (7450 posts) -

I imagine the audio would actually make it more laughable. 

#9 Posted by capitanm1 (215 posts) -

hey, if katsimoto is in this movie (last samurai) im watching the basturd.

#10 Posted by Max_Chill (166 posts) -

so i heard you like dragon BALLS..........

#11 Posted by clarke0 (1082 posts) -

That looked nothing like Dragon Ball. Really, who thought this would be a good idea?

#12 Posted by Xero (183 posts) -
clarke0 said:
"That looked nothing like Dragon Ball. Really, who thought this would be a good idea?"
some guy that smoked too much pot
#13 Posted by inevpatoria (7450 posts) -
capitanm1 said:
"hey, if katsimoto is in this movie (last samurai) im watching the basturd."
Oh, I'm totally going to see it.  And I'm going to laugh obnoxiously in the ear of whoever decides to sit directly in front of me.  For the entire film.
#14 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1835 posts) -

Looks terrible.

#15 Posted by TheGreatGuero (8881 posts) -

It's sad to see Emmy Rossum getting herself involved in something like this. The girl may have a promising career ahead of her as long as she stays away from this kinda junk.

#16 Posted by Tanuki (275 posts) -

That looked awesome!  And by awesome, I mean terrible... what the hell is Chow-yun-fat doing in this?  I mean does he REALLY need to be in some terrible anime-to-live action movie.  Eh, I guess I should... reserve... my judgement.  Afterall, Death Note (live-action movie, part 1&2) was amazing.  But that was actually Japanese.  Not some american take on japanese manga.

#17 Posted by OGCartman (4330 posts) -
Milkman said:
"Why? Just why do it? Somebody please tell me why!

"
As a huge DBZ fan, this really pissed the fuck outa me.
This movie, is an insult.
#18 Posted by Tearhead (2471 posts) -

This movie is either going to be amazing or a crap sandwich, there is no in between. So far from what I see it looks like they're baking that bread for the sandwich.

#19 Posted by SSbabel (1216 posts) -

Thas looks nothing at all like the series, i am very dissapointed.

#20 Posted by Demyx (3251 posts) -
Cartman said:
"Milkman said:
"Why? Just why do it? Somebody please tell me why!

"
As a huge DBZ fan, this really pissed the fuck outa me.
This movie, is an insult."
its a live action movie based on a cartoon, I didn't expect a good movie.
#21 Posted by Kush (9089 posts) -

Behold the movie that will take away all of TheDark Knight's thunder!

#22 Posted by Meowayne (6168 posts) -

Shouldn't you all be smarter than this?

Sorry, but "it doesnt look liek teh series!!!11", does that say anything about the quality of the movie? I too find the casting and designs laughable, from a fanboy perspective, but honestly. "Dragonball" and "Dragonball Z" are cheap series of B-movie quality dialogue and design. This movie seems to be just that - only it's a different design. That doesn't make it any more idiotic. If anything, it should tell you that the director doesn't want to just illustrate the material that is already there (movies that stay too close to the source material almost always fail), and that maybe, just maybe, the people involved know how to use the medium film to tell a nice story.  I say: What was interesting and pleasant about the series can't even be transferred to a two-hour movie, even if they did stay close to the original design. It certainly wasn't good writing or good cinematography that made me watch DBZ.

Granted, chances are high this will be crap. But the fact that it doesn't look exactly like the series is no indicator of that. Just like how close a book adaption is to the original story is no indicator of the movie's quality.

#23 Posted by ocdog45 (712 posts) -

why is goku white. first off you can't make a DB movie unless its an anime. next you don't turn it into mortal kombat. 100% TRASH!

#24 Posted by albedos_shadow (1561 posts) -

I hope whoever greenlighted this crap got dragged into the street and shot.

#25 Posted by Shotaro (814 posts) -

it looks like a trainwreck - when is it out

trainwreck movies are a must see!

#26 Posted by Endogene (5185 posts) -

people seem to forget the 1980s live action dragon ball movie

#27 Posted by TheDavidSwain (41 posts) -

Yay, the real things look shittr then any of the fan made stuff!

#28 Posted by zitosilva (1894 posts) -

This had already been announced some time ago. It has a GREAT chance of being terrible, but I have a little hope it might be fun just because the director is Stephen Chow, and he's awesome.

#29 Edited by jakob187 (22957 posts) -

Here's the trailer with audio and better picture quality.  Yes, it's supposed to be based more in the world of original Dragonball than anything from GT or Z.  Nonetheless...that doesn't mean the movie won't suck balls...namely because DB, DBGT, and DBZ all suck balls, along with most anime.  So, hope you all enjoy:

**EDIT**  Alright, since JoBlo's site is being gay right now, here's the link for the trailer:  http://www.joblo.com/video/player.php?video=dragonballtrl1
#30 Edited by jakob187 (22957 posts) -
zitosilva said:
"This had already been announced some time ago. It has a GREAT chance of being terrible, but I have a little hope it might be fun just because the director is Stephen Chow, and he's awesome."
Where the FUCK did you hear that lie?  Stephen Chow wouldn't associate himself with this bullshit.  Besides, he's too busy working up for being Kato and directing Green Hornet!!!
Dragonball is being directed by James Wong, famous for BRILLIANT movies like Final Destination, Final Destination 3, and The One, as well as producer for Willard.
#31 Posted by BiggerBomb (7011 posts) -

That looked like Mortal Kombat with a dragonball in a snapshot.

#32 Posted by zitosilva (1894 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"zitosilva said:
"This had already been announced some time ago. It has a GREAT chance of being terrible, but I have a little hope it might be fun just because the director is Stephen Chow, and he's awesome."
Where the FUCK did you hear that lie?  Stephen Chow wouldn't associate himself with this bullshit.  Besides, he's too busy working up for being Kato and directing Green Hornet!!!
Dragonball is being directed by James Wong, famous for BRILLIANT movies like Final Destination, Final Destination 3, and The One, as well as producer for Willard.
"

What????

*checks IMDB*

Fuck! I've been had! This movie will suck balls! Forget anything I've mentioned.
#33 Posted by jakob187 (22957 posts) -
zitosilva said:
"jakob187 said:
"zitosilva said:
"

What????

*checks IMDB*

Fuck! I've been had! This movie will suck balls! Forget anything I've mentioned."
Welcome.  = D
#34 Posted by inevpatoria (7450 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"That looked like Mortal Kombat with a dragonball in a snapshot."
Dude, Mortal Kombat will be infinitely more watchable than this. 
#35 Posted by clarke0 (1082 posts) -
Endogene said:
"people seem to forget the 1980s live action dragon ball movie
"  
Well that looks awesome in a "so bad, its good" way. I want to watch that now.
#36 Posted by clarke0 (1082 posts) -
Xero said:
"clarke0 said:
"That looked nothing like Dragon Ball. Really, who thought this would be a good idea?"
some guy that smoked too much pot"
Naw man. He would come up with something way better than this shit.
#37 Posted by pyromaniac (1757 posts) -

OMFG!!! Say it isn't so!!

#38 Posted by momentarylogic (443 posts) -

This is going to be in the So Horrible It's Good dept.

Although I don't want to encourage anyone paying money to see it.

#39 Posted by PureRok (4273 posts) -

There wasn't enough standing in one place grunting and screaming. Horrible.

#40 Posted by gla55jAw (2780 posts) -
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
#41 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3634 posts) -

Well the casting is euuhh, the euh . . . . The end is near people, the end is near. This is almost as tragic as when . . . . . . .
Well whatever, somedy up there talked about DB being B - movie is right, only this film is taking itself so fucking seriously.
Well it's not as if I was hoping this was going to be any good but . . . . yeah it's gonna suck balls.

#42 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2561 posts) -

I'll probably see it anyway. ;-P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.