Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 11, 2009

The most recent installment of the "Dragon Quest" franchise debuts exclusively on the DS. It features 4 player co-op and turn-based combat.

Dragon Quest IX

JuanSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By JuanSolid

"Is there anyway to get the footage from a DS to componant like the PSP?"
    "No"

I have been playing Dragon Quest IX. So far the first three hours have been me trying to go through story line and get to the actual character creating process for my other party members. In the old days of DW2 I would haul ass all over and skip battles to get my next party member to try and keep them all in line for levels. I even would purposely kill off the main character and grind to equal out the levels, and do this for subsequent characters as well.

In DW3 they let you create them straight off. This game, however, is not DW3. It does borrow heavily from DW3 though.

They had a class system, an advanced class, and the other three members of your party had no bearing on the story whatsoever. You created them so they don't need to have a bearing on the story. I recently saw someone on gamefaqs say they hated DW3 because of this but to that I always like to ask if they liked FF1, which essentially has NO main characters at all. There are differences as well.

You are expected to create your characters, but you have to go through monsters, traveling, and bosses to get to that point. Than the game does not let you know you can because the place you try to create them at does not exist yet. It is essentially part of the inn with no indication that is what it is for. It is just a person next to the main innkeeper. DW3 at least had a sign and people who told you to go there. This made me very mad because the way i played the game made me think I had to do an additional quest before I could get the option to create my other party members. Oh yeah, I was already at lv 6 by the time I got to my members. Most of the people talking about this game were much higher levels. by the time they reach 9-10 their other party members barely hit 5.

One more gripe is that in the original DW3 there was a special class that was pretty underpowered and would allow you to get to the advanced class if you could level a weak character up. I thought the minstrel class was this and ended up parting out my usual mage in exchange for that character..... TURNS OUT THE MAIN CHARACTER IS A MINSTREL! What this means is instead of being a unique HERO class, your character is not special at all. The whole idea behind the main character is he should be a little of everything, and no other class except the single advanced class, should be able to touch those skills. Instead you, the main character, are just a run of the mill bard, and most likely can change classes. So essentially my previous knowledge with 3 made me make a bad decision in my eyes as I opted to have no high dealing magical damage in the party, and instead have two weak casters for magical damage.

Last thing is the manual tells you NOTHING about classes or what the stats do. they give vague descriptions, talk nothing of skills, not even that the thief learns steal (common sense I know, but why should I have to guess at that and be surprised that he can apparently lay pit traps that serve no useful purpose to my knowledge), or that you are forced to start off as a minstrel. Hell i don't even know if when I get a chance to change classes if half my stats will carry over like the used to, or any of my skills, no forget skills, if any of my skill points will even carry over.

The manual is huge, and for it to be large and say nothing is a feat. I really feel like I have bought a game that came with no manual. Whats worse is there is a HUGE manual as if it is saying "hey dumbass, with all this here, how can you not find the answer!?" Well if it was never there that's why!

With that said, me being a die hard DW/DQ fan I am going to be playing this game through. I just believe it's unfortunate that you need to play 20 hours in to change classes and maybe screw it up so bad you feel you need to start over again or spend another 10-20 hours grinding to fix what you did. Than again because I have NO idea how it works yet maybe all this is unwarranted. Still to even feel like this in the first place is a shame and poor planning.

I don't know what is going on with the whole RPG scene these days I guess, but I know that I am not for games that take 20-40 hours to get 'good' I am looking at you new age FF series. It was hilarious watching Gabe and Tycho call in a co worker who was 30 hours into the game and was speechless when asked "so what is the game about". At least DQIX is not that bad!

Update: I checked and I have been playing for 22.5 hours in the span of less three full days. i would say that means I really do like it, but it can be frustrating at times. So why can't I put it down?

JuanSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JuanSolid

"Is there anyway to get the footage from a DS to componant like the PSP?"
    "No"

I have been playing Dragon Quest IX. So far the first three hours have been me trying to go through story line and get to the actual character creating process for my other party members. In the old days of DW2 I would haul ass all over and skip battles to get my next party member to try and keep them all in line for levels. I even would purposely kill off the main character and grind to equal out the levels, and do this for subsequent characters as well.

In DW3 they let you create them straight off. This game, however, is not DW3. It does borrow heavily from DW3 though.

They had a class system, an advanced class, and the other three members of your party had no bearing on the story whatsoever. You created them so they don't need to have a bearing on the story. I recently saw someone on gamefaqs say they hated DW3 because of this but to that I always like to ask if they liked FF1, which essentially has NO main characters at all. There are differences as well.

You are expected to create your characters, but you have to go through monsters, traveling, and bosses to get to that point. Than the game does not let you know you can because the place you try to create them at does not exist yet. It is essentially part of the inn with no indication that is what it is for. It is just a person next to the main innkeeper. DW3 at least had a sign and people who told you to go there. This made me very mad because the way i played the game made me think I had to do an additional quest before I could get the option to create my other party members. Oh yeah, I was already at lv 6 by the time I got to my members. Most of the people talking about this game were much higher levels. by the time they reach 9-10 their other party members barely hit 5.

One more gripe is that in the original DW3 there was a special class that was pretty underpowered and would allow you to get to the advanced class if you could level a weak character up. I thought the minstrel class was this and ended up parting out my usual mage in exchange for that character..... TURNS OUT THE MAIN CHARACTER IS A MINSTREL! What this means is instead of being a unique HERO class, your character is not special at all. The whole idea behind the main character is he should be a little of everything, and no other class except the single advanced class, should be able to touch those skills. Instead you, the main character, are just a run of the mill bard, and most likely can change classes. So essentially my previous knowledge with 3 made me make a bad decision in my eyes as I opted to have no high dealing magical damage in the party, and instead have two weak casters for magical damage.

Last thing is the manual tells you NOTHING about classes or what the stats do. they give vague descriptions, talk nothing of skills, not even that the thief learns steal (common sense I know, but why should I have to guess at that and be surprised that he can apparently lay pit traps that serve no useful purpose to my knowledge), or that you are forced to start off as a minstrel. Hell i don't even know if when I get a chance to change classes if half my stats will carry over like the used to, or any of my skills, no forget skills, if any of my skill points will even carry over.

The manual is huge, and for it to be large and say nothing is a feat. I really feel like I have bought a game that came with no manual. Whats worse is there is a HUGE manual as if it is saying "hey dumbass, with all this here, how can you not find the answer!?" Well if it was never there that's why!

With that said, me being a die hard DW/DQ fan I am going to be playing this game through. I just believe it's unfortunate that you need to play 20 hours in to change classes and maybe screw it up so bad you feel you need to start over again or spend another 10-20 hours grinding to fix what you did. Than again because I have NO idea how it works yet maybe all this is unwarranted. Still to even feel like this in the first place is a shame and poor planning.

I don't know what is going on with the whole RPG scene these days I guess, but I know that I am not for games that take 20-40 hours to get 'good' I am looking at you new age FF series. It was hilarious watching Gabe and Tycho call in a co worker who was 30 hours into the game and was speechless when asked "so what is the game about". At least DQIX is not that bad!

Update: I checked and I have been playing for 22.5 hours in the span of less three full days. i would say that means I really do like it, but it can be frustrating at times. So why can't I put it down?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.