Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 11, 2009

The most recent installment of the "Dragon Quest" franchise debuts exclusively on the DS. It features 4 player co-op and turn-based combat.

Dragon Quest IX Help

tutuboy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tutuboy95

I figured that I could pool my questions into one thread, and the members of the community could help one another out with various questions they might have about the game.

In any case, I'd take the first shot with a few questions. 

-I'm at level 37, and I beat the penultimate dungeon (Gittingham Empire), but I'm having trouble with the final dungeon. Apart from the metal slime family (I have trouble with those guys), is there an easy way to level-grind?

-Speaking of that, is there an easy way to find and kill members of the metal slime family?

-Where does one find Corundum?

-In the sidequest with the wand teacher, which monster has his wand in the Tywill cave?

-Where is the belly-dancing teacher of the Illugazar (sp?) Plains?

I don't mean to come off as a ninny n00b here (I probably do, regardless) but I would appreciate the help, and would love to answer some other questions that other members have.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Driadon

I can answer one of these, since metal slimes can only be hurt with physical attacks, the best strategy is to hit them as many times as you can before they get a chance to escape. In other words, speed up your party so that each turn everyone can try to get a smack in before he/they take their turn.

tutuboy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tutuboy95
    @Driadon:  That always works, but the evasion kills me. What kind of attacks have some good possibilities? 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5aad21fd3cb7d
    deactivated-5aad21fd3cb7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

> is there an easy way to level-grind?  
    Well I went to The Bowhole, level 3. East of Wormwood. You can run around and find liquid metal slimes that give each member around 10k xp. 40+ should be fair to challenge the next dungeon imo.

>In the sidequest with the wand teacher, which monster has his wand in the Tywill cave?
    I found it randomly. I think you just fight a lot of enemies as deep as you can go. That's what happened to me.

>Where is the belly-dancing teacher of the Illugazar (sp?) Plains?  
    It's one of those bouncing  gem bags. You have to fight a random number of them before something happens.

> Where does one find Corundum?  
    Exit Dourbridge east. Follow the river north, but you have to get on the upper land and as far as you can go north, it should be there by the lake.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Jiggah

For metal slime hunting, you'll want to learn Hatchet Men (Axe) or Thunder Thrust (Spear).  Those will be extremely helpful in quickly killing metal slimes and will be very valuable for post-game grinding especially when you start meeting more than 1 metal slime per encounter or when you face Metal King Slimes that have 20+ HP.  Bowhole is the best place before going to the last dungeon to level grind as there is a specific spot that you can sit and let the enemies spawn until a liquid metal slime shows up. 

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@tutuboy95:
    I beat the game with my top character level at 40, so you shouldn't have to grind too much unless your party is poorly balanced or poorly equipped. A nice trick I found is to switch one character to a different class and level for a bit to get tons of easy skill points, then switch again around level 20 and repeat. If you bank them instead of spending them, the points stay when you switch classes and are completely interchangeable, so what I did was put points towards passive stat bonuses from different classes to make my characters stronger once I'd unlocked the best damage abilities for my weapons of choice. 

The Warrior class (Bravery) ones in particular are really good, the +40 resilience and +60 HP bonuses at the end of the tree will make your characters godlike, and those bonuses carry over no matter what class you're using. Even a Mage will be shrugging off endgame boss hits with those.

If you're ever looking for alchemy stuff check out this map for harvesting locations.
    tutuboy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tutuboy95
    @BattleShinobi

Well, that certainly helps. Thanks, I'll be sure to try that out.

@Jiggah said: 

KING Metal Slimes?! I really wanna beat the game now. None of my characters are proficient in Axe-Wielding, but I could take the time to level my spear-wielder.

@SuperfluousMoniker said:

I noticed that too and tried it a little, but I really am too obsessed with learning a bunch of skills from different classes. However, since I find the Priest's set of Faith skills relatively useless compared to other classes, I could take the time and level up my other characters in Priest ways... Or something. My Mage would like some defense, so I appreciate the tip.

And thank you, good sir, for the map.

One more question, kind folks. I have a total of 11 classes (6 default, plus Gladiator, Arnamentalist, Paladin, Ranger, and Sage), and I can't help but shake the feeling there's a 12th one. Is there, or do the additional classes stop at Sage?
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@tutuboy95:  There's one called Luminary, it's basically like Dancer and Superstar from Dragon Quest VI. I'm not sure how you unlock it though. Think it's one of those ones that's a huge pain in the ass like Armamentalist so I'm not gonna bother :)
    tutuboy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tutuboy95
    @SuperfluousMoniker: 
    Gah! I hated the quest to unlock Armamentalist! Still, I strive for completion...
    tutuboy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tutuboy95

So, yeah! Beat the game. @Jiggah, thanks for the tip about Thunder Thrust. Since I got to "Slime Hill," that's been really helping me out. Thanks!

Finally got all those materials. Thanks, @BattleShinobi and @SuperfluousMoniker, for the location of corrundum and the map. I also found where Luminary was.

But yet another question - Where does one find a Maoi Minstrel?

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Jiggah

Moai Minstrels are in the random maps (Grottos).  They tend to be in higher level maps i.e. lvl. 50+ and usually at the lower levels.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.