Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 11, 2009

The most recent installment of the "Dragon Quest" franchise debuts exclusively on the DS. It features 4 player co-op and turn-based combat.

Dragon Quest IX May Not Release Outside Japan

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64

I was checking out some articles on Nintendo Everything and I stumbled across THIS article.  As a Dragon Quest fan, I will be unhappy if this game doesn't get released outside Japan.  The game has gotten good reviews and has sold 3 million+ copies already.  It would be a very dumb move by Square-Enix if they don't release it worldwide.  Oh god, please release it here.  That's like not releasing Pokemon outside Japan.  That would be the dumbest move ever.  Anyone else here on GiantBomb interested in DQIX?

Erlog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Erlog

I've played about 25 hours of it, and I thought it was good. It's not genre-busting or anything, but it's a solid DQ game with some cool stuff. The only knock I have against is the very conspicuous lack of online play when you can just tell the game was designed for that sort of thing with the whole gesture system. I think if they were to release the game in the US, they'd have to spend some time adding true online play. That would take the game from being good to great, but I'm not sure Square-Enix wants to put in that kind of investment for a series that is just not very popular outside of Japan. 

I'd be surprised if it didn't get released here eventually, but I think the economic stuff is making Square-Enix rethink some decisions that might have been really easy in years past. I understand Japanese fine, and so I don't really care whether or not it's ever released in English. Hardcore JRPG fans will really like the game, and it's definitely nice to see a good traditional RPG on the DS that's not a remake or port. I don't see it gaining very wide appeal in the US, and it's not a game like Ouendan or Layton where I feel like English-speakers should really get the chance to play such a cool game. DQIX is not that. DQIX is pretty much DQ8 with more freeform gameplay, less story, and more co-op.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust

Dragon Quest VIII sold 500,000 units in North America, but DQ IV and DQ V, both DS titles each sold 110,000 and 60,000 respectively.  Both games did slightly better in Europe at 150,000 and 70,000 units sold for each title.  I don't think Square Enix expects to do 3 million units in the Western world, but they'd probably like the game to sell enough copies to make the localization worth the effort.  In the market where Final Fantasy is king, Dragon Quest may not have the fan base to support a release outside of Japan.  At least, not a hand held game release.  Perhaps DQ X, which is said to be a Wii title will fare better than the previous DS releases.   It's too bad because I really really like Dragon Quest. 

sales data source

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Cerza

I would be sad if they didn't release DQ IX outside Japan, but if they decided to keep it Japan only I can understand why.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Axersia

I highly doubt this won't make it over the Western territories. I mean, Dragon Quest is what the Enix side of Square Enix does, and selling a 100k units in both US and Europe should be enough to warrant a localization. A while a go I actually read an article somewhere (I believe it was on RPGamer.com, but I can't be bothered to look it up) stating that Square Enix plans to work together with Nintendo to market the game better (meaning that Nintendo will probably handle the publishing duties -- just like they did for all of SE's GBA games). Of course, times may have changed since then, and they may actually be reconsidering their options.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.