Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 11, 2009

The most recent installment of the "Dragon Quest" franchise debuts exclusively on the DS. It features 4 player co-op and turn-based combat.

Nintendo hinders dragon quests potential growth in Northa America

Sieferx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sieferx2

Dragon quest 9 from what i hear has some of the finest handheld multiplayer available...."from what i hear". I purchased the game a few weeks ago in high hopes of linking up with my friends via wi-fi and exploring the silly world and all its old school rpg glory. Sure dragon quest games had never really gripped me in the past but the ability to customize my own goofy little character and team up with friends for a traditional rpg grindfest just seemed to good to be true.

Turns out it was...unless of course you live in Japan. 

The multiplayer features in dragon quest 9 are mostly "local wi-fi only" which is extremely frustrating considering most of the game is designed around multiplayer. The story is a complete throwaway and you never actually acquire a "party" in the traditional rpg sense. For example because the game is designed around you teaming up with your friends for most of the quests there really are not any "party members" to find throughout your journey. Instead the game allows you to actually create your entire party from scratch! You can choose your party’s clothes, hair, and eyes, everything.....which I found really nifty at first. How many rpgs let your create your own band of rag tag warriors, mages, and thieves?

Of course a few hours later I realized just how much of a façade this party creation system was. I found myself oddly missing the personalities that most rpgs would provide me. No Jessica( dragon quest ), no red 13(ff7), no sazh(ff13).....just the 3 other hollow shells of characters infused with personalities completely fabricated from my imagination. This is especially noticeable considering your characters have zero dialogue with any of the other npc's you come across throughout your journey. Almost as if your are being followed by soulless manikin warriors or mechanical drones.

This was a constant reminder of how hollow my experience was because i couldn’t experience the multiplayer (as most north American gamers cannot).In Japan it is easy to see how local wifi would be a great idea, but to completley shaft north American gamers with " local wi-fi only" seems irresponsible. Hell Japan is roughly the size of one north American state !(Montana, with an area of 147,047 square miles, to Japan (145,883 square miles).

The whole experience with dragon quest 9 reminded of just how frustrated Nintendo leaves me when trying to experience their games with other people ( as many of those games are intended to do). Just try playing monster hunter tri online ( its a pain in the ass) or having to swap friend codes......hell getting the wii online period was about ten times more difficult than getting either my Xbox or ps3 online. For those who have read some of the glowing reviews dedicated to dragon quest 9 across the net be wary, if your playing this game alone you will deeply regret your purchase. When nearly all the features in a game are designed around multiplayer, yet the multiplayer is mostly inaccessible to the majority of consumer than you have a truly fatal flaw with your product. This is especially frustrating considering this is flaw that could have been mended before its release in North America but instead we are left hoping that the 10th iteration of this series ( if it stays on handheld) gets it right. Come on nintendo/square-enix, this is 20-fucking-10 and the entire world is online. Get your shit together. 

Thoughts? others left cold by DQ9? 

have a great one 
    mo
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

I haven't played the game, but you're right about multiplayer accessibility. The friend code thing is just lazy design imo. 

Sieferx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sieferx2

@Axxol
    Indeed!  

And i apologize in advance for the "typo Title....NorthA ??" Oh well.... 

kratosauron0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By kratosauron0

The most ironic thing is that the local wireless multiplayer wasn't what got Japan all crazy about Dragon Quest 9.  It was the passive communication Tag mode, which apparently made such an impact that the 3DS is going to include it in the actual hardware, where it will constantly run not unlike how the Wii is constantly on the internet.  

In Japan, Dragon Quest 9 was published by Square Enix like their other usual games.  Nintendo decided to publish Dragon Quest 9 in the US because they saw the phenomenon that occured in Japan with Tag Mode, wanted to try and bring that kind of success to the US, and had the money to put up for a giant marketing push.  Seriously, I don't remember the last time I saw a Nintendo commercial on TV, let alone at the movie theaters.  It seems like that exact opposite happened: if Nintendo didn't pick up Dragon Quest 9 and Square Enix published the game themselves, how much money would they put into advertising?  Would Square Enix hire a marketing company and send QA people all across the country in order to hold modestly sized tag events in order to get people to use the multiplayer features?  I'm less sure, because Square Enix doesn't have nearly the marketing budget of Nintendo, and Dragon Quest has historically performed much worse in America compared to their other flagship franchise, Final Fantasy.  
    In Japan, Dragon Quest 9 was published by Square Enix like their other usual games.   It was also developed like any other Dragon Quest game: how could they make a game that would sell millions in Japan?  Therefore, I don't think it's unusual that, despite their best efforts in making the 'westerners' Dragon Quest, they didn't quite get it right.  If it seems unusual that Square Enix would seemingly alienate an entire continent's audience, look at it in reverse: would Rockstar change the Grand Theft Auto formula just to make it sell copies in Japan?  How would that go over in America?  Is that decision really wise? Who in Japan would really care, anyways?

In one of the interviews with Yuji Horii on the Dragon Quest IX website, Horii talks about how he tried to incorporate the multiplayer is such a way that a family could play the game together, and parents could directly help their children from within the game, rather than just giving advice from outside.  While I think that this is extremely detached from the reality of gaming culture, especially in America where a generation of adult gamers is only just being created, I think the idea behind it still stands: Yuji Horii wanted to make Dragon Quest 9 a game where people communicated on a level more personal than interacting with strangers over the internet whom you'll never meet again.  And frankly, he succeeded with me; I met 2 people through the Dragon Quest 9 tag events whom I've now met with outside of the Nintendo sanctioned events, just to play Dragon Quest 9 together. 
    All that being said, it really would have been great to have wifi functionality within Dragon Quest 9 that incorporated features from the Pokemon games.  We can only imagine how the Dragon Quest multiplayer would have been with Wifi connectivity, voice chat, and maybe even video chat (although looking at when Dragon Quest was developed and released, that last one is most likely a pipe dream from the start).  But with Horii's vision for how multiplayer interaction within Dragon Quest should be, would adding full wifi multiplayer (as opposed to only local wireless) really make people want to meet up, have conversations about the game, and potentially draw more people in?  I think developers are still trying to find a better solution to this, and there definitely isn't going to be a single, uniform solution that can be applied to all cultures.

On your other point, it's true that Dragon Quest 9's 'party' is pretty void of personality.  Your main character is the usual silent, goody two-shoes protagonist, while the rest of your party is silent simply because the designers couldn't think of a way to make unique, appropriately assigned personalities that would go with every single possible party member possibility.  So yes, you're left with a party that doesn't talk, let alone make the witty comments of Yangus (DQ8), Bowser (M&L3), or Yosuke (P4).  The characters are akin to those of Dragon Quest 3, where you also rolled your own party, rather than of Dragon Quest 4, 5, and 8, where everyone but the main character was given a name and personality.
    On the other hand, I found Dragon Quest 9 to have a ton of charming side characters.  While the story is not nearly as epic as Dragon Quest 5 (I haven't quite finished 8 yet), it is instead interesting in how the side characters interact with the main character.  When playing the main story, the tasks you take up in order to help the people around you feel more significant on a personal level, rather than on a grandiose, world-shattering scale.  It seems that the main star of the game is the world you explore and all the people you end up interacting with it, and in the end, this becomes the motivation to teach the final boss a lesson or two.   And maybe I'm naive, faint of heart, or something, but some of the main story quests were downright heart-wrenching and unexpected in their resolution...

tenchim1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tenchim1a

I find the game awesome and aggravating in equal measure.  On the one hand I have a very finely crafted JRPG that I can take anywhere with me.  On the other, there is no one else playing this game.  I've used the tag mode in a major city and I got zero guests showing up in my inn.  Outside of the Nintendo sponsored events I have gotten only one person while shopping at Best Buy.  And since I missed PAX Prime this year that was my last real chance to enjoy multiplayer and tagging until another convention comes around (most likely PAX East).  This game has the same problem as an MMORPG.  If you don't have friends to play it almost doesn't seem worth it.  But I'm holding on and evangelizing when I can to push this game to as many people as possible.  

Also, the lack of open wifi hotspots that don't require you to agree to terms and whatnot really hampers the DLC.  Configuring the router didn't work and without a browser my DS simply won't connect.  If only I could get my hands on a USB wifi connector that didn't cause grief.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.