Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 11, 2009

The most recent installment of the "Dragon Quest" franchise debuts exclusively on the DS. It features 4 player co-op and turn-based combat.

Thank you, Oh Mighty Yggdrasil.

Avatar image for captainlunchbox
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

Edited By Captainlunchbox

I'm writing this blog as more of a series of impressions than a straightforward review. 

Dragon Quest IX- I got you for 20 bucks new, and I feel like I cheated the system. 

I'm a newcomer to the series and all info seems to indicate that it's largely different than any other entry in the series. With that in mind, DQIX felt a lot more forgiving and friendly than any other JRPG I've played in the past 5 years. I must admit though that when a game starts me off with a character-creation toolset that I find amusing or enjoyable in any way- that's a strong first impression. 

I was also roped in with Akira Toriyama's signature and familiar art style. The animated intro (a bit of a ritual for me, watching the intro to a game) is just beautiful. I know, especially in Japanese games, that the more beautiful and stunning the intro, the less exciting and saddening it will be when the gameplay includes zero percent of it. In DQIX's case, they actually put a decent effort into making turn-based battles a little more exciting with various camera angles and character movement. And they're mercifully fast-paced and never randomly-generated. 

And getting through the story doesn't feel like an endless grind, either, thankfully. I'm only a few hours in, but so much has happened. I'll try and keep this spoiler-free when I tell you that I like the whole guardian angel (or Celestrian, as they're called) introduction. The things you do and the people you help actually make you feel as if you have a role to play, and in a role-playing game, I'd say that was pretty important. And then after the story really kicks you in, things just get better.  

The game has a very user-friendly quest system. It's got a good balance of challenging, yet not frustratingly-confusing questing. The environment in  which you'll be adventuring is a pretty one. Arguably one of the best-looking games the DS has to offer. The music and old school sound effects also have their own charm that remind of games of old. 

As my adventure progresses, I find myself wanting to get deeper into the experience. I'll have a legit review maybe around hours 15 or 20 after I've unlocked the whole class-system deal. But so far, it's becoming one of my favorite DS games in record time. 

Go get a copy today.

Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Captainlunchbox

I'm writing this blog as more of a series of impressions than a straightforward review. 

Dragon Quest IX- I got you for 20 bucks new, and I feel like I cheated the system. 

I'm a newcomer to the series and all info seems to indicate that it's largely different than any other entry in the series. With that in mind, DQIX felt a lot more forgiving and friendly than any other JRPG I've played in the past 5 years. I must admit though that when a game starts me off with a character-creation toolset that I find amusing or enjoyable in any way- that's a strong first impression. 

I was also roped in with Akira Toriyama's signature and familiar art style. The animated intro (a bit of a ritual for me, watching the intro to a game) is just beautiful. I know, especially in Japanese games, that the more beautiful and stunning the intro, the less exciting and saddening it will be when the gameplay includes zero percent of it. In DQIX's case, they actually put a decent effort into making turn-based battles a little more exciting with various camera angles and character movement. And they're mercifully fast-paced and never randomly-generated. 

And getting through the story doesn't feel like an endless grind, either, thankfully. I'm only a few hours in, but so much has happened. I'll try and keep this spoiler-free when I tell you that I like the whole guardian angel (or Celestrian, as they're called) introduction. The things you do and the people you help actually make you feel as if you have a role to play, and in a role-playing game, I'd say that was pretty important. And then after the story really kicks you in, things just get better.  

The game has a very user-friendly quest system. It's got a good balance of challenging, yet not frustratingly-confusing questing. The environment in  which you'll be adventuring is a pretty one. Arguably one of the best-looking games the DS has to offer. The music and old school sound effects also have their own charm that remind of games of old. 

As my adventure progresses, I find myself wanting to get deeper into the experience. I'll have a legit review maybe around hours 15 or 20 after I've unlocked the whole class-system deal. But so far, it's becoming one of my favorite DS games in record time. 

Go get a copy today.

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Noodlearms

Agreed, nice blog. I picked it up about 2 days ago along with Lost Odyssey and Vice City and I've been having tons of fun with it. I'm still pretty early on but I'm really liking it, even though I'm not a big JRPG fan. I also like the part you mentioned about the camera angles as well. I think I'm going to go play it now, haha.

Strubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Strubes

Well, a few of these things I didn't know. Way to go with the informative approach. If I didn't sell you my DS, I'd totally get this. I guess I'll just have to wait till the 3DS though, haha. Definitely on my "to get" list. Looking forward to the review.

Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Captainlunchbox

I just unlocked the alchemy system. It's pretty cool. Right now I can only craft medicinal items, but there's huge lists for items, weapons, and other things. Really excited for this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.