Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jul 29, 2017

The eleventh main entry in the long-running RPG series returns to its pre-MMO roots.

2D/3D styles more than just a gimmick, will it play into the story and gameplay?

LastBestHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By LastBestHope

A friend and I were talking about the 3D and 2D graphic style that Dragon Quest XI has. For those that don't know, the visuals of Dragon Quest XI (3DS specifically) are shown on both the top and bottom screens. With a 3D version of the world and characters on top, and a traditional 2D style on the bottom. According to this article, both styles will be shown at the same time for only the opening portion.

"Later on after its opening stages, you’ll have to select which style to play, but you’ll also get to switch between its 3D and 2D styles at any time."

This has lead me to believe that this may not just be a choice of aesthetic, but will play into the story somehow. And possibly serve as some sort of puzzle mechanic. Much like the perspective mechanics of Super Paper Mario or Fez.

All of the DQ games since II have a subtitle. So I immediately looked into the subtitle of XI. The full title of DQXI is, Dragon Quest XI: Sugisarishi Toki o Motomete." Which translates to "In Search of Departed Time." Which, I think, really plays into my theory. "Departed Time" refers to the past, the old times. How better to represent the old times by representing that past with the classic 2D sprite art style of the Dragon Quest games?

This could totally be a huge overthinking on my part. And I do realize that in the video all the NPCs are in the same spot on both screens which would be very strange if they are in fact two different two time periods.

Just a thought I had! We'll see when the game comes out in Japan. Hopefully here as well seeing how many DQ games have made it here recently.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By odinsmana

This is a neat theory, but I think a big blow against it is that the PS4 version (I think) doesn`t have the 2D mode. It might be that the versions are really different in both content and style, if that is the case this still might be true though. Otherwise it might just be that they want to use the second screen on the 3DS for something else like menus or maps or something.

LastBestHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot to mention that there is also the PS4 version to consider. Which from what we've seen, has completey different visuals and no graphic swapping. Really weird that we have three different graphic styles across these two versions of the game. And at this point we haven't seen what the Nintendo Switch version will be like.

LastBestHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@odinsmana: Totally agree. I meant to mention this in my original post but forgot. I posted my other message in this thread before refreshing and seeing your post.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.