Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jul 29, 2017

The eleventh main entry in the long-running RPG series returns to its pre-MMO roots.

I'm really enjoying this game, but...

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hey guys!

I'm currently running this game as my "main game" at the moment, and for the most part, it's...pretty good? I'll preface by saying that JRPGS are my main form of gaming entertainment. This year, I've played Ni No Kuni 2, and Octopath, and both left me kind of cold. See my list for more info.

I can't decide on DQ11 so far. I really like the artstyle, the enemy designs are a treat, and the cast of characters is pretty good, especially Erik. But I dunno, something isn't quite clicking for me. Maybe it's the played out music that I've heard before, or the incredibly boring main character, or the kind of slow starting story? I'll admit that I'm only 10 hours in (Just escaped on Sylvando's ship and saved from the Octopus thing), so I'm very eager to carry on, but I can't seem to just sit down and grind it out like I used to when I was a kid. Maybe it's just "Tired gamer syndrome" or something?

Does this game start getting more exciting as you unlock more? I really like the look of the woman with the spear.

Oh also, I don't know if this is just a common DQ thing, but doing 25 damage a hit at 10 hours in is kinda lackluster. Please tell me I'm wrong!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

@sombre said:

Oh also, I don't know if this is just a common DQ thing, but doing 25 damage a hit at 10 hours in is kinda lackluster. Please tell me I'm wrong!

This is just the way that DQ has always scaled, and they've never given in to pressure to inflate the numbers.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@sombre said:

This is just the way that DQ has always scaled, and they've never given in to pressure to inflate the numbers.

I for one am very happy about this. I'm all about efficiency in numbers. In my mind, it makes the increases feel more meaningful.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You may have JRPG burnout! I know I get it periodically despite a deep love of the genre. More than any other genre, I think JRPGs are hard to binge. So many tropes in common, and many really have very shallow mechanics that only seem complex (so many utterly useless status effects.) Play something else and come back later if it's not doing it for you.

Like the others above me said, DQ numbers have always been small. I wouldn't have DQ any other way!

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Haven't played this DQ myself, but I'm with you with the played out music bit. I wish that franchise would try something significantly different with it's main series, even if it's just cosmetic. I've gotten real tired of the similar sounding soundtracks, the near identical enemy designs, the Toriyama character designs. Not saying they should go full Final Fantasy and change everything around with each installment, but I'd really appreciate something new from a mainline Dragon Quest, even if it's just once.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@relkin said:

Haven't played this DQ myself, but I'm with you with the played out music bit. I wish that franchise would try something significantly different with it's main series, even if it's just cosmetic. I've gotten real tired of the similar sounding soundtracks, the near identical enemy designs, the Toriyama character designs. Not saying they should go full Final Fantasy and change everything around with each installment, but I'd really appreciate something new from a mainline Dragon Quest, even if it's just once.

I might be wrong, but it seems like every town/city has the same theme. And sometimes the music is really inappropriate for the mood. I just had to save someone from something, and it's cheery as fuck. I think the uninspired music and totally boring looking MC are bringing the game down a little for me

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre said:
    @relkin said:

I might be wrong, but it seems like every town/city has the same theme. And sometimes the music is really inappropriate for the mood.

I feel the same way (about 15 hours in). And honestly, while I like the soundtrack quite a bit, at times when the same marching, horn heavy song is blaring over and over, it starts to give me a headache.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.