Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Crown

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jul 25, 2013

From Vanillaware Ltd., developers of Muramasa: The Demon Blade and Odin Sphere, Dragon's Crown is a fantasy themed co-op beat-'em-up.

Kamitani responds to Kotaku criticism of the characters.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

The Kotaku article: http://kotaku.com/game-developers-really-need-to-stop-letting-teenage-boy-472724616

This is the newest trailer for Dragon's Crown, the Vanillaware-developed game that will be out this year for PS3 and Vita. It features the sorceress, one character from the game. As you can see, the sorceress was designed by a 14-year-old boy. Perhaps game development studios should stop hiring teenagers? At least they're cheap, I guess.

The director's response on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=429947370434109&set=a.377685925660254.85466.100002565488533&type=1&ref=nf

No Caption Provided

This is my favourite developer-journalist exchange since Hideki Kamiya's "Do you eat shit?".

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JZ

Burn!! I love it

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Beautiful!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti

Man those dwarfs are bad fucking ass. That is actually a great piece of artwork.

Dear lord that's what passes for Kotaku "articles" these days?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now this is a proper response to criticism.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hailinel

Man those dwarfs are bad fucking ass. That is actually a great piece of artwork.

Some things never change.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Nothing like getting upset at the hyper stylized art of a game that seems to exist purely as an excuse for hyper stylized art.

Hey guys, why is there so much blood in Dragon Age? It's almost like it's a major stylistic decision. Also what's with all the juxtaposition between grand architecture and destroyed rubble in Gears of War?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The topic of sexism is a goldmine at the moment. That is why people really need to stop with this bullshit and call every bit of piece sexist....

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fetchfox

That is one awful "article". It reads more like a butthurt tweat.
    So dwarf bears on bears? Rule 34 I guess, whatever floats your boat man.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By CaLe

That's a pretty sick burn. I think a lot of Westerners don't realize that most Japanese women have zero problems with how women are portrayed in Japanese media. In many cases they are complicit.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale said:

That's a pretty sick burn. I think a lot of Westerners don't realize that most Japanese women have zero problem with how women are portrayed in Japanese media. In many cases they are complicit.

Yeah the culture is totally different. they don't get offended by every little piece of shit. Instead they are making fun of it.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I love it.

Both the art and the response.

Kotaku continues to be the bottom of the barrel when it comes to "journalism".

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Kotaku has degenerated into tabloid-like. I guess it's really hard to earn moneys thru online gaming news sites nowadays.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

So his response to criticism that he is immature is to imply that person giving criticism is gay. That will show him!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hinderk said:

So his response to criticism that he is immature is to imply that person giving criticism is gay. That will show him!

It's not an implication that he's gay. He simply responded to criticism of oversexualized characters of one sort by responding with another.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@hinderk said:

It's not an implication that he's gay. He simply responded to criticism of oversexualized characters of one sort by responding with another.

yeah, i'm not sure this is a sick burn. the kotaku article basically said, "you're immature because you have women falling out of their dresses." to which the artist seemingly replies with, "well, here are some bears since you like dudes." seems like everyone's a class act in this bunch.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaLe

@hinderk said:

I think it's more of a commentary on the fact that Westerners typically prefer muscle-bound macho men to scantily clad females.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@hailinel: Could be wrong but "The art of the direction which he likes was prepared" combined with the picture sure make it seem like he is calling the kotaku dude gay.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hinderk said:

@hailinel: Could be wrong but "The art of the direction which he likes was prepared" combined with the picture sure make it seem like he is calling the kotaku dude gay.

Or he could be making a crack at the widely perceived western taste in preferred male characters (i.e.: The overmuscled power fantasy).

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@hinderk said:

Or he could be making a crack at the widely perceived western taste in preferred male characters (i.e.: The overmuscled power fantasy).

it's possible. but seeing as it's embracing topless dudes, with one winking (well established in the tradition of pinup girls), and in direct response to tacit allegations of oversexualization...i certainly think the implication is there.

i mean it's clear the devs are riffing on frazetta and the paperback-fantasy art style- but anatomy is already exaggerated in that style. watching videos of this game in action, it's pretty clear their further stylizing is arguably overkill. but whatevs.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By psylah

@hinderk said:

He might as well go low-brow, since it would be impossible to convince these "journalists" otherwise since they're just sensationalists who cling to the most minute perceived slight in social media nowadays.

GK knew he had to go hard or go home, and he went with HARD.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait... that one paragraph in the OP is the whole article and not just a part of it? Hmm... he says "the sorceress was designed by a 14-year-old boy" so... maybe this is a clever response that deliberately sounds like something written by a 14-year-old boy. Kotaku, you are so meta!

As for the female characters, their proportions doesn't offend me, I just find them stupid looking.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@hailinel said:

@hinderk said:

Dude, it's a pretty clever "you're gay" joke.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@hinderk said:

Dude, it's a pretty clever "you're gay" joke.

Or you could be right. :P

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@icemael said:

The Kotaku article: http://kotaku.com/game-developers-really-need-to-stop-letting-teenage-boy-472724616

This is the newest trailer for Dragon's Crown, the Vanillaware-developed game that will be out this year for PS3 and Vita. It features the sorceress, one character from the game. As you can see, the sorceress was designed by a 14-year-old boy. Perhaps game development studios should stop hiring teenagers? At least they're cheap, I guess.

The director's response on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=429947370434109&set=a.377685925660254.85466.100002565488533&type=1&ref=nf

No Caption Provided

This is my favourite developer-journalist exchange since Hideki Kamiya's "Do you eat shit?".

That is too perfect.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@hinderk said:

We've now reached the stage where we read WAY too much into things, grasping for any straw we see.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it! Gawker-type journalism is the scum of the Internet and they got what they deserved. I wish that western developers had balls like that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hailinel

@likeassur: I may have been off-base, but that was hardly straw-grasping.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#29  Edited By TechnoSyndrome
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel

@taku128 said:

http://kotaku.com/the-real-problem-with-that-controversial-sexy-video-ga-478120280

The author of the Kotaku article wrote a response piece. I usually can't stand Kotaku but I'm 100% with them on this one.

It's kind of silly that it took this for Jason to apologize for calling the artist a fourteen-year-old, though. Eye for an eye, I guess.

There's a problem with sexism in the industry, as games journalists are fond of pointing out every twenty seconds, there's no disputing that. But I do think that getting worked up over an exaggerated character design in a game filled with exaggerated character designs of all sorts is pushing it.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By McGhee

Hilarious.

Also. Fuck this Kotaku guy. I'm so fucking sick of this bullshit. All people like seeing better looking people: men or women. I'd rather see a fucking hot woman than an ugly one. I'd also rather see a muscled up dude more than a flabby one. Because I fucking work out and I can admire the male physique too. These are characters in a brawler, figures meant to be attractive power fantasies. Well, beautiful women are really fucking powerful. None of the characters here are meant to be thoughtful representations of anything. It also should piss off any beautiful women that dress provocatively. Guess what, some holier-than-though douche bags, male and female, think you are caricature-sluts, not thoughtful women. Please dress very conservatively because they said so and god help you if you have large breasts. They are apparently embarrassed at the existence of those breasts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The second article could hardly make me more annoyed.

Jason Schreier likes Dragon's Crown, or things that are like Dragon's Crown. But things like Dragon's Crown embarasses him. Rather than cease to like things like Dragon's Crown, thus not being embarasses by it anymore, he's going to continue liking it and continue being embarassed by his own decisions. Who is responsible for this? Jason Schreier? Hahaha, no, Vanillaware. It's up to them to make the things he likes the way he likes them.

Oh and the comments, my God. My favorite is that hypersexualized ladies, well somehow that disempowers women. I guess it repealed the fourteenth amendment or made it so they can't have their own opinions. Hypersexualized, super masculine male characters however, _that's what men want_. It's wrong to assume that women want to be traditionally attractive or powerful or whatever. Assuming that men want to be attractive and powerful, well that goes without saying. Of course all men want that. It's not right to have sexualized ladies because it holds women who don't want to be sexualized to standards they don't want. Men, _it's not the same_, they WANT to be judged based on the size of their muscles and their ability to do violence. Even Jason Schreier is a part of the problem, as he's a man and admits Dragon's Crown is a power fantasy designed for him. Jason Schreier wants to be a huge shirtless dwarf, as this a power fantasy designed for men, and thus it privileges him over disempowered female players.

It's so frustrating to watch well meaning people put the horse before the cart every single time.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Bocam

According to Arthur Gies implying someone is gay equals calling them a Fag. Isn't that a more offensive thought process?

Though I love when people don't realize there's this thing called cultural differences

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jdh5153

Kotaku's response to this is better.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hailinel

@bocam said:

According to Arthur Gies implying someone is gay equals calling them a Fag. Isn't that a more offensive thought process?

Though I love when people don't realize there's this thing called cultural differences

I don't think I've ever read a statement from Gies that wasn't horribly misinformed or driven by an obvious agenda.

Schreier is playing the victim now, which is just cute. I would go so far as to qualify it as precious. Like @brodehousesaid, he's basically cornered himself by refusing to let go of something that embarrasses him.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By rebgav

"I'm sorry that I called you a child; I meant to call you a misogynist. (Ignore that it took me two weeks and public humiliation to decide that this is an Important Issue rather than just me being a snarky cunt in a trailer description.)"

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By musubi

@Bocam Woah! Now that...is like way over the line for Mr.Gies that thought process is fucking disturbing

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@bocam said:

I hate it. Especially the "Oh Japan..." comments.

SuperFusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SuperFusion

Jason's rebuttal is just a flimsy attempt to justify his atrocious insult. He should have apologized, said he learned a few new things from his mistakes and maybe attempt to open a discussion with the president of Vanillaware. He did do that and it is commendable, but the focus of this new article was just him trying to justify his insult.

On1inepersona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By On1inepersona

Kamitani's response guarantees my purchase of this game day one.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mellotronrules

i dunno. i just can't take the developer seriously after seeing the game in motion.

Loading Video...

it's so clear this character is visuallly designed around her boobs. it's just unintelligent, inartistic, and unremarkable. and their dwarven response kind of proved kotaku's point- which is unfortunate, because kotaku's message wasn't especially sophisticated either.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gamez journalists are the heroes that gotham deserves

#kony2012

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By AlexW00d

@alexandersheen said:

@bocam said:

I hate it. Especially the "Oh Japan..." comments.

Just because some things are different in different countries doesn't make them ok. This is probably the worst defense for this kind of stuff. The annotations on the picture in the 2nd Kotaku article linked somewhere above hit the nail on the head really. Boobs the size of small cars, and the face of a 12 year old, just because it's something that is fairly common in Japan doesn't stop it from being borderline paedophilia.

E: Another thing, in the middle east Woman are treated like second class citizens - way more than anyone is in the US - you wouldn't chalk that up to cultural differences would you?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Milkman

Wow, can't believe the response this is getting here. Or maybe I can. Apparently, "U GAY BRO?" is the equivalent of a "sick burn" now. You guys should watch more wrestling. You'd think those John Cena and The Rock guys are a laugh riot!

The developer is a moron.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By EXTomar

Well this is "a teenage kid" vs Kotaku. Was maturity expected?

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cloudymusic
    @mellotronrules said:

it's so clear this character is visuallly designed around her boobs. it's just unintelligent, inartistic, and unremarkable. and their dwarven response kind of proved kotaku's point- which is unfortunate, because kotaku's message wasn't especially sophisticated either.

I don't normally mind sexed-up characters if they're done tastefully, but this just feels like shameless pandering.

Kotaku's "article" sucked, but the developer's "LOL UR GAY" response was even worse, nice art aside.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: Totally agree. I was going to buy this game but I plan to skip it now. Just because Jason Schreier doesn't want to see the tits of some grotesquely proportioned sprite bounce around he wants to see a bunch of oiled dudes dog piled? Vanillaware's art design has always bordered on tasteless and this has completely soured me. There are plenty of game bros spouting that type of homophonia in America, I guess I should expect the same in Japan.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: Except in Japan looking young and being perceived as "pure" is praised while the opposite is frowned upon. It may be wrong but it's still a case of cultural differences.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#49  Edited By Icemael

The Kotaku response is dumb. Sexism in the gaming industry is completely irrelevant to the value of the games themselves. A game developer's only job is to make as enjoyable a game as possible, and a game critic's only job is to analyze the ways in which the developer has succeeded or failed at this. Moralization should never enter into the picture. The character designs may certainly be criticized: for instance, I myself am not that fond of the Sorceress' oversized breasts, but the problem I have with them is that they are ugly, not that "they perpetuate a boy's club mentality" and "boo-hoo some women feel uncomfortable going to events where there are booth babes" or whatever -- I mean what the fuck man, I thought we played games to have a good time and not to demonstrate to others how tolerant, sensitive, progressive and feminist we are.

The stupidity of the whole business becomes especially apparent if one imagines criticizing classical paintings in this way, particularly in their historical context. Take this Falero painting from 1878:

No Caption Provided

"An absolutely stunning work of art. The composition, the lighting, the attention to detail... everything is incredible. But on second thought, it's an image of hot nude women created by a man in a male-dominated industry, and women are really oppressed right now (they don't even have the right to vote!) so actually fuck this painting, one star out of five."

Or imagine applying these retarded standards to porn -- you could never watch a porno again! Or why not our fantasies! "This daydream I'm having about smoking hot nymphs who are into me is not equal enough, I am objectifying these poor imaginary women! I'd better start fantasizing about strong women in leadership positions instead."

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CaLe

I still don't feel like it was a 'you're gay' response from Kamitani. Maybe I'm wrong, but I immediately felt it was more to do with Westerners preferring muscular males.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.