Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Apr 23, 2013

A re-release of Dragon's Dogma, Dark Arisen includes a new high level area with new monsters and quests from the original, as well as a handful of refinements to the original game.

Any demand for pure tank pawns?

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Questionable

Just wondering if there is any demand for pure tank pawns or is everyone steamrolling the game with pure damage party's where enemy's die before they even reach the party?

Think i'l be making my pawn a fighter and just aim for the largest health pool/armor so that it can tank the bosses MMORPG style. or is the scaling in this game such that you are better off just slapping a shield on a damage dealer when the situation demands a tank?

Avatar image for runeseekermireille
    RuneseekerMireille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Dedicated tanks can be very useful, especially for Sorcerer/Mage parties. I usually roll with three Sorcerers and either a Fighter with Shield Drum, or a Mage with all support skills, depending on where I'm headed.

I'm finding in Dark Arisen, however, Tanks can only stay alive for maybe two attacks before they go down, at least in Hard Mode. I'm finding I do a bit better with a support mage in BBI than with a Fighter.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi

I've got a build going with my pawn "Momiji" right now and I'm building her up as a straight up pure tank. She has done alright for herself so far. If anyone needs her you can either send a friend request to "Demoskinos" on PS3 or just search for her by name. =)

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've got a build going with my pawn "Momiji" right now and I'm building her up as a straight up pure tank. She has done alright for herself so far. If anyone needs her you can either send a friend request to "Demoskinos" on PS3 or just search for her by name. =)

Sweet, are you intending to go soldier from 1 trough 100 or do you intend to mix it up for a better balance in stats?

bmadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you level your pawn strictly Warrior, you'll have more than enough phys. defense to last longer than 2 hits, not to mention the strength stats as well. If you want the augments from other vocations, after level 200 just switch away. I have a level 200 warrior I did exactly this with and he's a beast.

psn is bmadger

pawn: Rhaegar, level 200 Warrior (scather/mitigator), full BBI gear gold df'd

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I'm on my second playthrough and have used a tank both times (first time paired with my Strider/Ranger, second time with my Mage/Sorc). Works well enough, I suppose. I will note that it's good to influence your pawn's personality to be more aggressive over protective, if you play a mage. Otherwise, he/she will just lead the enemies right to you.

Drakenfar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've found that tanking isn't as effective now that DA has been released, simply because the small monsters die easily and the big monsters are where the combat is at. Tanks don't do much in the way of distracting bosses and Wyrms from combating others, and what's worse is their survivability isn't any better. What most people are looking for, especially in a pawn, is high damage, because with both the pure warrior build and the pure sorcerer build the def is high enough to be compensated by augments and good armor.

Also, clinging from an enemy makes it a lot easier to avoid taking damage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.