Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Apr 23, 2013

A re-release of Dragon's Dogma, Dark Arisen includes a new high level area with new monsters and quests from the original, as well as a handful of refinements to the original game.

So Dragon's Dogma Is Getting An Anime

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By FacelessVixen

Based on my experience with anime, I haven't really bothered to keep up with it since 2014, so I don't have an opinion on the production staff, even with Kurasumi Sunayama of Gurren Lagann fame being on deck. And as for the game, again, I can't really imagine how the story of the game can work in either 12 or 24 episodes, but I have a pretty good feeling that Elysion, Madeleine and Feste will be the most colorful of the bunch, while I guess I wouldn't mind Mercedes being a light Berserk reference since comparisons to Casca don't seem too farfetched.

So... thoughts?

Source: https://myanimelist.net/news/60218079

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I liked anime a lot during and a little after highschool and then either grew out of it or the quality just seemed to drop. Don't wanna be a grumpy old man or anything but over the years I tried to check out some recommended shows and none of it seemed to have come close to like a Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, Ghost in the Shell, Lain or even like Trigun really. This might be a case of the old timer not being able to move on but Kill La Kill which has garnered a lot of praise seemed somewhat obnoxious to me. I did like Gurren Lagann though.

So I mean sure I guess. If they re-do the plot from the game then I can see it being a decent run from being branded as arisen to the final realization at the end of the game. It would be cool if it was a moody and dark show like Berserk was because the game despite it's goofy look does deal with heavier themes, but I'm not holding my breath.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ToughShed

There's a lot of bizarre and weird shit in the game like the nature of Pawns as some kind of supernatural slave group which I think are actually pretty cool to do something crazy and dark with in a story in more detail if you wanted to. And like @humanity says there are cool bits in the plot like the end.

To me it was more about gameplay and atmosphere than anything but go for it. I am all for the story getting better too if it was to continue on. There is some weird appeal to the story and presentation flawed as it could be in that game to me in a way I can't quite put my finger on.

Any heat on Dragons Dogma that gets me closer to 2 I'm all for.

Picto_Obscure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I want and hope for is 'Into Free' by B'z in the opening title.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They are going to save so much money animating those night scenes. Gonna just be Simpsons style floating eyeballs.

Real talk though, if Into Free isn't the title track anime is cancelled.

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad Dragon's Dogma is getting attention but the story of it was standard fantasy fare until after you kill the dragon. I guess the fight scenes could be cool. Hopefully there's a wizard that summons meteors and lights themselves on fire.

How often do you think we'll hear the classic pawn lines about wolves or fire?

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How often do you think we'll hear the classic pawn lines about wolves or fire?

I think there will be one reference in the first couple episodes and then never again.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zeik

First TWEWY and now Dragon's Dogma. I don't know how to feel about all these games people have been demanding sequels for years suddenly getting anime adaptions out of nowhere. I am intrigued, and I'll check it out, but I really just want a new game.

This is one much moreso I have no idea what to expect. The game had some weird and interesting story elements, but the story wasn't exactly the selling point of the game. There's no way a straight adaption would work. That being said, I think there's enough interesting elements to the story and world that you could make something worthwhile if you tried.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna need at least a few dozen Aughts per episode.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I never finished Dragon's Dogma, thought it was okay but my interest in an anime is fairly low. It's also not like anime based on action games have a good enough track record to inspire any confidence. There's Gungrave....and I guess Castlevania's been alright but not much else I can think of off the top of my head. People seem to like the Persona animes though that seems easy enough to snip out 80 hours of game and storyboard it accordingly. I can name plenty of BAAAAD fighting game anime but that's a case where it's almost charming how bad they are.

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's gonna be as well made as Castelvania series it's gonna be a must-watch.

I'll be watching it for sure.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By noobsauce

Well, I would have said no but Castlevania surprised the hell out of me and is one of my favorite anime series. So hell yeah I'll give this a shot

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not convinced it'll work but I'll certainly watch it. The game does have some interesting themes and lore to work with.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.