Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 22, 2012

Capcom makes an ambitious undertaking with this 2012 Open World Action-RPG.

Dragon's Dogma looks ultra sweet, but I'm still skeptical.

space_sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By space_sandwich

After watching the trailer and listening to some of the good buzz coming out of recent preview events, I gotta say, this game is looking/sounding right up my alley. Giant, crazy, scalable monsters recall memories of Shadow of the Colossus while the art style reminds me of Dark Souls, albeit a bit brighter. Some parts looks slightly generic, but on the whole, I'm pumped on this. Still, Capcom's involvement brings with it a couple ounces of skepticism. Not sure if I should be as excited as I am.

Your thoughts?

Also, the animations on that snake monster's mouth really, really impressed me. That's the first time an enemy's mouth really caught my eye.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

I think it looks pretty awesome. Whether I buy it or not depends a lot on the writing and dialogue. Is it going to be entertaining or cringeworthy? Dramatic or hammy?

I'd also like to see the combat system in action for more than just a few seconds.

This certainly looks interesting but you're right about Capcom's involvement making me more wary than I should be. Hopefully that will be an unfounded concern.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

Yeah you know, this looks really really cool. The more I see of it, the more I want it. I feel like seems so suited to co-op, that it baffles me why they didn't include it, but in spite of all that, the game looks fantastic.

Oh and 'Pawn Sharing'.

space_sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By space_sandwich

@James_Giant_Peach: Yeah, I'm not totally sure how I feel about the Pawn Sharing thing, but then again I don't know too much about it.

I definitely want to see more of the combat. That trailer makes the combat look a bit... rigid at times. Still, the monster animations and designs are stunning, IMO. I'm most excited to see how the open world/citys and/or towns work. That could make or break this for me. I really hope they pull it off because the fighting looks damn incredible.

I also take solace in the fact that this trailer is from E3 2011. Here's to hoping the extra year of dev time has brought further refinement.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By supamon

I want to get excited for this game too but with Capcom's recent weird shift in behavior and their penchant for making off-putting decisions, I remain wary as well. It looks like it could be a Monster Hunter + Dark Souls kind of game but there is no multiplayer component which seems crazy cause this game looks perfect for it.

There could be a lot of potential for it where Capcom could weave an epic world similar to "A Song of Ice and Fire" style and create a solid new IP but I wouldn't expect it out of them.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By morningstar

Im crossing my fingers for this one. I'll wait for some reviews rather than preorder though.

Fasckira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fasckira

Looks good, but Im hoping that it doesnt rely too heavily on party NPCs, yet to find a game where they help in anyway (aside from as pack mules). Still, be another fantasy title to occupy me for a week or so!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60

@Victor018 said:

Here's a 2 hour stream of gameplay.

Ox traversal confirmed.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By veektarius

@Victor018: Not going to watch that whole thing, but immediately it started winning me over with the very contextual-seeming animations and attacks. Then it sort of lost me when it took ten minutes of eye-stabbing and impaling to kill the cyclops. Sure, they look tough, but not that tough.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mordukai

Capcpom, huh. Just wait a few months and get the Dragon's Dogma: High Dragon Edition with extra area, enemies and weapons.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BrockNRolla

@believer258 said:

I think it looks pretty awesome. Whether I buy it or not depends a lot on the writing and dialogue. Is it going to be entertaining or cringeworthy? Dramatic or hammy?

That's my question too. Good graphics and good mechanics wouldn't be enough to get me to play this sort of game. Too many options out there unless it can differentiate itself in storyline and writing.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By stryker1121

@Space_Sandwich: This is definitely on my radar for May. The day/night cycle looks cool, that is the world becomes more dangerous when the sun sets. Plus the mage has a levitation spell. Overall I like the looks of the combat and the world itself. Overall, the game has an old-school vibe that's appealing. I'll wait for some reviews, but so far, so good.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spoonman671

I can guarantee that this game will fall somewhere between crappy and amazing.  That's about as firmly as I've got it nailed down.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
    @Spoonman671 said:
    I can guarantee that this game will fall somewhere between crappy and amazing.  That's about as firmly as I've got it nailed down.
    I'd say between meh and -intrigued noise-
    phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By phrali

it's capcom. they will ruin it somehow.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested after seeing the OXM previews and such, but I'm not quite sure how I feel about the Job and Pawn system yet...

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Death_Burnout

I've had high hopes for this game, but it looks like it's pretty janky, but I've played jankier games and enjoyed them so I don't see that being an issue. The only thing I see being insufferable is the framerate which still looks really really bad.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By redbliss

I was excited about the game coming out of last year's E3 because of what people were saying about the game and its potential, and now that some gameplay has been shown I think the game looks great. Here is another video that hasnt been linked yet for those interested:

Just one thing that I think looks really cool is the night stuff. The way night is handled is really cool and something that hasnt really been done before.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By daiphyer

This game is giving me weird Souls series vibe. Maybe it's because it's a Japanese western-style-inspired RPG. I am not sure if I like the structure of it.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bell_End

@Spoonman671 said:

I can guarantee that this game will fall somewhere between crappy and amazing. That's about as firmly as I've got it nailed down.

don't all games fall between crappy and amazing

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StrikeALight

Can't wait for this.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably give it a rental before I commit to buying it. Still holding out for some kind of delayed PC release though.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By TerraMantis

Dragon's Dogma looks absolutely amazing. I hold basically the exact same wariness and draw very similar ideas towards capcom's inspirations they seem to have for the game as the OP. I think of Dragon's Dogma as Capcom's answer to a Monster Hunter-type game that is more grounded in something a western audience will like more than Monster Hunter. The RPG elements look in tune with Monster Hunter too with the applications of gear being what defines your characters. Meaning, the gear alters and enhances your character's skillsets, weapon abilities, and attributes, but stat boosts from increasing in levels and a skill tree do not, sort of like Monster Hunter. Also, the speed of combat doesn't seem nearly as weighted as Dark Souls, but weight does effect your movement speed and climbing on enemies feels related to Shadow of the Colossus. The art style definitely looks like it is inspired by the 'Souls' franchise (fantasy styles grounded in realism or surrealism at least). As far as exploration and on-screen interfacing goes I want to say those aspects are very associated with Assassin Creed's interfacing and environmental movement/exploration.

All of that being said, the game looks great, but also-- as soon as I saw them lift a pig and start throwing it around in that two hour gameplay video-- the "Japaneseiness" really bleed through. That small feature said to me "not Dark Souls" and "not Shadow of the Colossus". Those Japanesey moments scream Monster Hunter to me. You can either take that as a good or bad thing depending on your position of that type of stuff. No matter how great Dragon's Dogma looks, Capcom as the developer makes me wary of it regardless and of course...it's a completely new IP. At the very least I will see how reviews go before I buy, but as of now I am pretty much expecting pretty great reviews from the way things are looking.

Also, the "pawns" look very interesting but I can not for the life of me understand why they did not alter the pawns in one of two ways. Having the pawns be strictly AI controlled henchmen just seems silly to me. Either I believe you should be able to take direct control of them if need be or make co-op online gameplay a feature. I just feel like the computer controlled AI won't stand up to letting them run around freely with no player direct control and without the ability to take direct control of the pawns I know they are really going to piss me off at times because they're doing really stupid stuff or getting in my way often. So, without the ability to take direct control of them in single-player I would really like the option to jump online and have a friend help me instead. I think Capcom is swinging at air with a missed opportunity with the pawns and making the game a group controlled combat sim or lack of online capabilities for them.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Shookems

Those OXM previews did a pretty good job of putting this game on my radar.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@TerraMantis said:

Also, the "pawns" look very interesting but I can not for the life of me understand why they did not alter the pawns in one of two ways. Having the pawns be strictly AI controlled henchmen just seems silly to me. Either I believe you should be able to take direct control of them if need be or make co-op online gameplay a feature. I just feel like the computer controlled AI won't stand up to letting them run around freely with no player direct control and without the ability to take direct control of the pawns I know they are really going to piss me off at times because they're doing really stupid stuff or getting in my way often. So, without the ability to take direct control of them in single-player I would really like the option to jump online and have a friend help me instead. I think Capcom is swinging at air with a missed opportunity with the pawns and making the game a group controlled combat sim or lack of online capabilities for them.

I can see how that would see silly to most, but for some reason the idea of the pawns seems like it'll make for some interesting game moments.

Other than everything I just read in your post I don't know a lick of spit about this game.

But I was scrollin along and was like Hey look its TerraMantis! This guy knows what the fuck is up.

So I read, and now I am mildly enlightened.

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Looks promising, but Capcom's involvement all but ensures that a bunch of infuriating DLC will come shortly after it's release.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By TerraMantis

@senorfuzzeh said:

@TerraMantis said:

I can see how that would see silly to most, but for some reason the idea of the pawns seems like it'll make for some interesting game moments.

Other than everything I just read in your post I don't know a lick of spit about this game.

But I was scrollin along and was like Hey look its TerraMantis! This guy knows what the fuck is up.

So I read, and now I am mildly enlightened.

It's not that I don't think the pawns could lead to some interesting moments, I just think that the sophistication of AI programing is not up to the level it needs to be to have 3 henchmen running around with you without them either being very annoying or doing really dumb things with no player order commanding or the ability to take direct control.

Also, I'm happy I could mildly enlighten you. Luckily I know what the fuck is up.

; )

silentxero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By silentxero

Will there be more monsters in this game than just the 25 or so listed on Capcoms website? I'm happy that Chimera,Gryphons and hydra's are in , but I'm hoping for more....like Minotaur,Giant Spiders,Skeletons (an RPG must!), Basilisk, Kraken, and Manticore. This game looks awesome, but I really hope that there will be more monsters than what have been shown.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By ProfessorEss

Lost Planet 2 has me worried about this one. It looks potentially awesome but I'm concerned about how they'll choose to set up the controls.

Frankly I already assume the story will be hammy and overwrought (the dialogue and music in that trailer only served to strengthen that assumption) but I'm not overly concerned about that if the gameplay turns out.

Excited to see how this ends up.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lysergica33

@believer258 said:

I saw a stream that included the intro of the game, and it honestly looked pretty cheesy to me. It nearly put me off playing, but then I remembered that the gameplay looks totally awesome and decided I didn't mind. Although I suppose what counts as cheese to some may be enthralling to others. The world and atmosphere and general mood seems pretty grimdark, despite the cheese of the intro cinematic, so it could well be that it's a far more gripping tale than the intro suggests. We'll see though.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

It looks like a very good game, I'm considering buying it day one or preordering it even. But I can't help but feel it'll turn into a mediocre game.

In between a rock and a hard place I guess.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Justin258

@Lysergica33 said:

@believer258 said:

I saw a stream that included the intro of the game, and it honestly looked pretty cheesy to me. It nearly put me off playing, but then I remembered that the gameplay looks totally awesome and decided I didn't mind. Although I suppose what counts as cheese to some may be enthralling to others. The world and atmosphere and general mood seems pretty grimdark, despite the cheese of the intro cinematic, so it could well be that it's a far more gripping tale than the intro suggests. We'll see though.

Eh, sometimes cheese can be pretty entertaining.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lysergica33

@believer258 said:

@Lysergica33 said:

@believer258 said:

Eh, sometimes cheese can be pretty entertaining.

Depends on what kind of cheese it is. I like a fair amount of schlock-y low budget horror films with purposefully "bad" acting because that kind of cheese is where the badness is intentional, and thus hilarious. The intro cutscene I saw for Dragon's Dogma looked like it was trying to be quite serious, but had zero gravitas, and thus fell flat on its face.

But I'm keeping an open mind! It could end up being superbly well told. It's not really fair to judge a game's story-telling solely from its introductory cutscene, but I'm just going by what I've seen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.