Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 22, 2012

Capcom makes an ambitious undertaking with this 2012 Open World Action-RPG.

Gee thanks for that romance outcome Dogma...

• 92 results
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Tennmuerti

Minor spoilers follow.

The way this game handles "romance" is just so grrrrrrrrrr, not only does it simply take an NPC with who you have the highest friendship number with but for example certain vendor NPCs require being friendly with to get some of their special wares. So I'm playing a male character and despite having attained the romance status with both Madeline and Aelinore, guess who shows up at the big fight ... the goddamn blacksmith /facepalm (with who I apperently had a bit more friendship points) That pretty much made all scenes completely silly. And, sigh, after the great fight my totally straigh male hero embraced the blacksmith in his manly thick dwarf arms and they had a lovely night, sigh. uuhh... i just... words fail me.

But that's not even the worst part.

Now because the game decided the blacksmith was my romantic interest he moved from the main town, all the way to the starting village, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. Which means I have no one to upgrade my gear with in town, no acess to some of the upper tier gear being sold, and if I want to duplicate some materials for upgrades ofcourse the forgery guy is in town and the smith is all the way in the village, where i will have to treck every single time I want to upgrade something. FANTASTIC.

Alternative is to go get my one portcrystal (which is at that griffin tower) and treck all across the continent to set it up in the village, andthen having to waste 2 ferrystones each time for an upgrade trip. Great.

BTW since we are on the subject is Fournival still in his home? couse I have a feeling i will need a shitload of Ferrystones now.

tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By tsiro

I sort of wish I had advance notice that this was a thing. I ended up getting the girl. No, not that one. The little girl. Symone. Talk about weird... Rather unfortunate about the blacksmith, though. I guess at least the little girl offered nothing of value, so her being back in the starting village was no problem.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#3  Edited By KillyDarko

I have not played Dragon's Dogma, but that sure sounds shitty as hell... : /
    But also, and I hope you don't mind me saying, just a wee bit funny seen from the outside (the first part about the romance outcome, that is). Sorry about that ^^

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti

/cry

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Sterling

@Tennmuerti said:

BTW since we are on the subject is Fournival still in his home? couse I have a feeling i will need a shitload of Ferrystones now.

He is around, but only during certain hours of the day. And since you can not go to his house directly you have to play the guessing game of him showing up in town at mid day.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

I thought the woman inside the Blacksmith's shop was his wife. If so, you're a home-wrecker. lol

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

And people said that Dragon's Dogma had no story to it.

Well they were WRONG! That's straight up hilarious (or maybe I'm just a bit tired (speaking of which where the hell are all the Diablo 3 players on my list go?))

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nekroskop

There's romantic interests in this game? Another game off my to-buy list.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By shirogane

Wow, that almost sounds like something you'd be able to pull of in Skyrim. That's hilarious.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By dagas

Makes no sense. That would mean that in real life you would always end up with your best friend. Friendship does not equal romance.

I can't blame them considering Japanese game developers probably have no more experience with girls than playing Love Plus on NDS.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By eroticfishcake

@dagas said:

I can't blame them considering Japanese game developers probably have no more experience with girls than playing Love Plus on NDS.

That's just a generalisation. Some of them lead a happily married life with their DS/body pillows!

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By MetalBaofu

@Tennmuerti: I'm just curious, did you give someone that ring you get? I kinda thought that was meant to help solidify your choice in cases where you had multiple people at maximum friendship level.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tennmuerti

I didn't even have a single romantic conversation with the blacksmith, not one. Suddenly I'm rescuing his ass from the dragon and then my character is pounding said ass >.<

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Tennmuerti said:

I didn't even have a single romantic conversation with the blacksmith, not one. Suddenly I'm rescuing his ass from the dragon and then my character is pounding said ass >.<

I am so, so damn happy I went for Max Payne instead of this game. Thank you, dude. You helped validate my purchasing decision. :D

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tennmuerti

@MetalBaofu said:

@Tennmuerti: I'm just curious, did you give someone that ring you get? I kinda thought that was meant to help solidify your choice in cases where you had multiple people at maximum friendship level.

No I never got that ring.

From all i've read it also simply boosts one NPC friendship status just enough to get that rose glow about them. Meaning it does not guarantee that they will become the one, since simply getting them to be a romantic interest is not max friendship level. Max goes past the romantic state, hence why even when you are technically in "love" with more then one person the game can still pick the one with the highest rating couse the highest rating is above romantic involvement rating. At least from what I read on the boards.

But if it boosts the friend level for a set amount (rather then to a set a mount) I can see it solidifying your choice that way.

I've read people simply hitting or killing other NPCs with high friendship state in order to guarantee a particular one. But I just never though of doing it because by the time I realised what happened it was way way too late and DD has long since overwrote my saves.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

...I never even realised there were romance options. I knew you could give gift NPCs stuff, but i never bothered with any of it. The only character that appeared in my ending was... Leelene? The witch girl, whatever her name is. Is she basically the default? There was no pounding of the ass during my ending in any case :o

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Yummylee said:

...I never even realised there were romance options. I knew you could give gift NPCs stuff, but i never bothered with any of it. The only character that appeared in my ending was... Leelene? The witch girl, whatever her name is. Is she basically the default? There was no pounding of the ass during my ending in any case :o

Technically there is no default. Some NPCs will just naturally get enough frienship points with you if you do their quests. For most people it's frequently the dutchess Aelinore because her 2 quests are enough and they are hard to miss. There is no real "romance" just the friendship level and then boom they are the ones the dragon kidnaps and end up living in your house, if they have the highest frienship level with you out of everyone.

The pounding is implied after an embrace and a long kiss in a tent on a dark night while lying in a horizontal position >.>

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JP_Russell

Takes a pretty twisted, delusional person to extrapolate feelings of lust out of any form of friendship. I intensely dislike whatever game designer is responsible for that.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tennmuerti

I have a plan, for tomorrow:

Will try to murder/suicide/kill the blacksmith (throw him off a cliff into the water) and going to sleep at the inn for a week or so to see if he respawns in Gran Solen instead of your house in the village. It's a long shot but better trying that once then having to slog across the continent and teleporting to him all the time and back to the city wasting ferrystones and time.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ervonymous

That's really fucked up but at the same time I'm not surprised at all, makes Bioware grab-ass look like Romeo and Juliet. I wouldn't mind it if it wouldn't end up screwing the player over but your situation is a slap across the face.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @Tennmuerti said:

I have a plan, for tomorrow:

Will try to murder/suicide/kill the blacksmith (throw him off a cliff into the water)

That's how love stories always end. 
    I think this is the reason why video games should bring down romance to one simple question. Wanna bang? Would be awesome if it worked in real life. 
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By musubi

@Tennmuerti: HAHAHAHA God, that sounds amazing. I ended up with Valimiro myself even though there was a scene where I totally got it on with the princess earlier in the game after I rescued her from the Duke killing her.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By musubi

@ahaisthisourchance: Its hardly even a thing in the game. Its just your ending changes based on how much affinity you have with NPC's. You'd be foolish to pass up all the great combat and questing because the last few cut-scenes of the game throw some random romance in your face.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Totori
    @Tennmuerti:  haha you love caxton
    MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By MikeFightNight

The actual gameplay ramifications suck, but hearing you describe the scene had me in stitches.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ahaisthisourchance said:

There's romantic interests in this game? Another game off my to-buy list.

It does not really effect the game. You dont give gifts. Its mostly quest based. 
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Capum15
    @MikeFightNight said:
    The actual gameplay ramifications suck, but hearing you describe the scene had me in stitches.
    I agree with the quoted statement. Hilarious.
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TentPole

@Tennmuerti: Your totally straight male hero is gay and you just need to learn to accept him the way he is.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Spoonman671

Had no idea that person changed depending on your relationship.  I didn't even recognize who she was.  I'm pretty sure she was the duchess, who I only talked to once, and never followed up on any part of the quest involving her.  Sounds to me like this part of the game is kind of broken.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've played 14 hours. This is probably the mechanically strangest game I've played in this generation. Every design choice just seems like something someone wrote down after waking from a dream. But then it was followed up and iterated on.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tennmuerti said:

That is genuinely hilarious.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Animasta

what does it matter, though? him being away from the big city ASIDE (which does sound kinda shitty), does it really bother you that your character is not actually straight?

jessej07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jessej07

This thread is insane... I just got to the part OP mentioned (where you defend X from the dragon). For me, the person was Quina, the girl from the beginning. I assumed everyone saw the same person! I wish I had gained the affinity of more people in my playthrough just to see what quirky person they could have put in there. Maybe the jester?

How about the Dragonborn?

This game just got a whole lot weirder than I imagined :)

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Metzo_Paino

You can imagine a game, or a point in the planning stages where this is actually a cool idea, being able to romance anyone and then them getting mixed up in the plot.

Unfortunately it sounds like a rather ham fisted implementation. Funny though.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hamz

@MikeFightNight said:

In pretty much the same boat with you there.

As obviously frustrating as the situation seems, the description of events left me laughing. It's the sort of thing you expect not to appear in a video game but are completely unsurprised about when it does.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By Catolf

you know what.. thats rather awesome.. can't wait till i see who i get int he end lol

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Turambar

Well, I mean they were trying to somewhat copy Skyrim.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iamjohn

I'm not going to lie, reading this thread was one of the first and only things to interest me about Dragon's Dogma.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#39  Edited By jacksukeru

First off: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I should probably stay out of this thread since I'm not that far into the story yet but reading the main post, WHAT!? Glad I knew about that I guess.

But man, I don't know how to handle this with my Arisen being a teenage girl, is the romance thing really not optional? I wasn't planning on going after anybody.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sterling

@jessej07 said:

This thread is insane... I just got to the part OP mentioned (where you defend X from the dragon). For me, the person was Quina, the girl from the beginning. I assumed everyone saw the same person! I wish I had gained the affinity of more people in my playthrough just to see what quirky person they could have put in there. Maybe the jester?

How about the Dragonborn?

This game just got a whole lot weirder than I imagined :)

I could never find her after that guy at the encampment says she is missing in the woods. So I just gave up and I assume she died. I never saw her again.

I got the merchant girl myself. The one that keeps extorting money from you.

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gravier251

well, I figured there was romance in it with the sidequests related to Duchess Aelinore. They are all sort of romantic in nature, even gave her the ring that was said to bind someones destiny to me. And then at the end Madeleine showed up as my romantic interest. That was a bit frustrating to have that come out of nowhere. No idea how her affinity got so high, suppose I shouldn't have let her have so much money. Was rather tempted to just say "eh, whatever" and take the Dragon's offer. Immortality and the death of someone who means nothing to me? oh, sure, sign me up >.< hehe.

Kind of ruined what could have been a pretty meaningful choice/scene if the romance was more substantiated. I still found the ending pretty awesome though, wrong romantic interest showing up aside.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@ervonymous said:

That's really fucked up but at the same time I'm not surprised at all, makes Bioware grab-ass look like Romeo and Juliet. I wouldn't mind it if it wouldn't end up screwing the player over but your situation is a slap across the face.

I dunno, making it this ridiculous kind of makes Bioware's rejected-soap-opera-plot romances seem even worse. Romance quests in games are always kind of weird to begin with, so making it blatantly stupid sounds like the best way to keep you from getting embarrassed when mom/girlfriend/whoever walks in the room.

Still, sucks that it had such terrible gameplay ramifications for OP. Take solace in his dwarfy strength.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ShadyPingu

Man, that sounds super frustrating.

This game is just so damned crazy. I am teetering between picking this up used six months from now or never, and every thing I hear about it pushes me slightly in one direction or the other.

isbecome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By isbecome

The way this game decides who you must choose makes no sense. I was warned there was a romance thing with the plot and so I maxed out Mercedes, cause lady knights are the bees knees. Then I accidentally maxed out Aelinore by meeting in her room. So I go in thinking "dang they are probably going to stick me with Aelinore. Oh well."

But apparently Grigori decided Valmiro was who my character cared about the most? The random villager I rescued a couple times on a side quest?

This game is pretty silly!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Animasta said:

what does it matter, though? him being away from the big city ASIDE (which does sound kinda shitty), does it really bother you that your character is not actually straight?

Nah, it's only frustrating because of gameplay.

It's not really my characters supposed sexual orientation that matters (which if we want to go that route was always envisioned as straight from the start, i don't mind roleplayed a gay guy but this was not how I made the character)

It's that the entire first ending of the game was kind of made into a complete joke because of it. The big badass dragon kidnapped some blacksmith to ostensibly use as bait for my character, a slightly overweight balding blacksmith with whom my character never exchanged a romantic sentence even once (or even a friendly one). It was like: Dragon: "CHOOSE" Me: "ummmmm, well this is awkward". And then they proceed to roll in the metaphorical hay, and with my character being a stocky really wide beefy dwarfish looking guy and the blacksmith as mentioned above a kind of meh balding dude their passionate kissing takes on a whole new dimension of lulz.

The game just arbitrarily forces a romance character onto you simply based on who has the highest frienship level with you, without there actually being any romance. So my manly dwarf getting it on with the smith was like: SURPRISE! and said suprise was completely out of place and contrived by a lazy game mechanic.

I kind of didn't care about the scenes beyond the hilarity (untill the realisation of how badly my game is screwed now), the games story and characters aren't good/solid enough for something like this to be more then a funny /facepalm moment.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By Animasta

fair enough, maybe it's random on purpose? Maybe it's a commentary about how dumb romance subplots in video games are

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Animasta Actually now that i think about it watching two dudes getting it on out of the blue is still akward for a straight guy. I am completely fine and acepting of gay people in general, but no matter what i believe rationaly, biologically to me it's still uncomcortable. Just like most straight dudes are instantly repulsed by gay male porn. And while whats in DD is just a long embrace and a long kiss it's close enough to the territory to be just a tiny tiny bit uncomfortable to have to sit through and be a passive participant. Especially when its forced on you by the game out of the blue.

Damn i dislike the mobile site for forum conversation.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Redhotchilimist

The first post is the greatest story I heard all day. How can you be disappointed by that? It's amazing.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Well, I had a really awkward one because I got Selene. Hey, Dragon's Dogma why is my character suddenly a pedophile? I mean, I'm glad I didn't get Fournival or the blacksmith, but I got a good dose of man on child action. Not cool.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ervonymous

@SirOptimusPrime: Things were different in medieval Capcomia, imagine playing a wee lad character and saving Fournival.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.