Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 22, 2012

Capcom makes an ambitious undertaking with this 2012 Open World Action-RPG.

Party Composition

Holl6425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Holl6425

So far, at level 20, I've used a standard party comprising of a Mage (Healer/Debuffer), Fighter (Tank), and a Sorcerer and Ranger for Ranged Damage. Once I had a better understanding of the inclinations, I was able to tweak my main pawn and find the other two pawns to help best support my style of play. What are you guys using? Mine seems pretty cookie cutter safe. What are some other party compositions that you've experimented with?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By project343

I'm running as a Mystic Knight with a Fighter primary pawn set specifically for tanking. Then as my support pawns I try to grab a support-oriented Mage with a heavy-damage oriented Sorcerer.

I've yet to see a use for any rogue-type pawns in my party composition. They just aren't dishing out enough damage--or, at least not nearly as much as the average Sorcerer.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LikeaSsur

I'm going with me as a Mystic Knight, my main pawn is a Strider, and the support pawns I hired are a support Mage (with healing), and a Sword 'n' Board Warrior, who....isn't tanking, per say, but does have the Shield Drum skill. We're a melee focused party, but my Strider has Ensnare, and usually the Mage has Ingle for long range fights.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Totori

fighter, assassin, sorcerer, mage

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had me as a mage and my main pawn as fighter, then a warrior and ranger/strider hired in ... which was fine but not that great. Just changed to sorcerer after maxing mage out and swapped the warrior for a pawn mage to handle healing and buffs (and also damage of their own) and the set-up is immediately much more enjoyable. Thought I'd enjoy hanging back and keeping everyone buffed and healed while they went to town but it never quite worked out as I hoped, and there's not really enough support spells to keep you solely occupied.

Funman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Funman

I play a mage spec'd towards attack spells, I usually roll with another mage who plays support, then I have a fighter, and warrior. Warrior draws aggro and acts as tank, while fighter picks off ranged/magik enemies.... its been a pretty good combo so far, though Im only level 23 and haven't really faced down anything incredibly big yet.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

Assassin, Sorcerer, Fighter, Fighter

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Detrian

Ranger (me), Warrior, Fighter, Mage.

Might change the fighter for a sorcerer.

RainbowKraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RainbowKraken

I'm a Ranger, my main pawn is a Warrior, then I will have a fighter and sorcerer.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mesoian

Magick Archer (Me), Sorceror (Main pawn), Mage and Distraction (ranger/fighter/warrior, someone to run around and draw attention while me and my pawn cast spells)

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Blind_Evil

I've been trying to use a mage and sorcerer and they never fucking do well. The mage is okay, she's the healer, my main pawn, but sorcerers all seem to get interrupted too often to actually do any of the insane damage I know they are capable of. Thinking I'll have to give up bows and daggers and whatnot (I've been swapping between Assassin, Ranger, and Magick Archer) and either go fighter or sorcerer myself. I've tried just about everything and my favorite so far has been Magick Archer, Mage, Fighter, Warrior.

Starting to agree with the folks that really wanted co-op.

snowninja845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By snowninja845

I'm a magick archer, my main pawn is a warrior and I usually hire two support mages.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BraveToaster

@Blind_Evil: Well, then it sounds like you need to protect your Sorcerer, so it isn't being attacked.

Holl6425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Holl6425

Has anyone experimented with a Mystic Knight? I was thinking of switching my main pawn to that class. Just not sure ifstylus class is well suited for a main tank.... Perhaps an off tank?. So Ranger, Mystik Knight, Sorcerer, and healing Mage? I'd have the MK attuned to handle the holy spells and the Mage and sorcerer to handle the elementals. I need to read up on the MK abilities.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By ItBeStefYo

@project343: @LikeaSsur: Would you say Mystic Knight is fun?

I found the normal warrior in the demo to be a bit boring

Rolfgang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rolfgang

I play a Magick Archer, my main pawn is a Fighter for tanking and then I have a mage with me for support and a Ranger for ranged dps. I love how I shoot explosive bolts in a big creature and my main pawn Atilla hits the fan and makes it one huge explosion :D

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JJOR64

Mine was Warrior (me), Mage (my pawn), Fighter, and a Sorcerer.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ervonymous

Fighter, Mage and two hired Striders/Rangers. Might go Mystic Knight once I get bored of Dragon's Maw.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Sterling

Currently rolling as a Ranger and my main pawn is a Fighter. Then hired out a second Fighter and a Mage.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LikeaSsur

@ItBeStefYo: Very much so, but I haven't got the very "Mystical" skills yet, like Magic Cannon. Right now, I'm having a blast just enchanting my shield and countering monster's attacks. I'd say it'll start off pretty boring for you, but around vocation 4 or 5, you can learn the more magical skills, and you might like those.

Holl6425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Holl6425

My current group seems a bit too overpowered. I'm rolling a 37 Ranger with a 37 fighter as my main pawn and a Mage and Sorcerer, both at level 42.. The AOEs of the sorcerer pretty much handle any large threat and he enchants our weapons with ice on occasion. The Mage takes care of the heals, enchants our weapons with holy light and fire. Lastly my pawn is an excellent tank. I can actually sit back and let them do all the fighting.... Looking to make this more challenging making the group a bit unbalanced with some weaknesses. Definitely sacking the OP sorcerer, getting rid of the tank, and perhaps rolling with just three peeps... An assasin, a strider, and a Mage.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Holl6425 said:

My current group seems a bit too overpowered. I'm rolling a 37 Ranger with a 37 fighter as my main pawn and a Mage and Sorcerer, both at level 42.. The AOEs of the sorcerer pretty much handle any large threat and he enchants our weapons with ice on occasion. The Mage takes care of the heals, enchants our weapons with holy light and fire. Lastly my pawn is an excellent tank. I can actually sit back and let them do all the fighting.... Looking to make this more challenging making the group a bit unbalanced with some weaknesses. Definitely sacking the OP sorcerer, getting rid of the tank, and perhaps rolling with just three peeps... An assasin, a strider, and a Mage.

This has less to do with group composition and just with the game difficulty curve. You outpace the standard content at about those levels. And as monsters remain static after a point you simply start overpowering everything much faster and taking less damage in general. I pretty much ditched a healer at that time and was without one for a long time.

There will be a point in the game when the difficulty will spike back up to give a somewhat decent challenge.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Ruiner

Fighter, Mage, Warrior, Ranger

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.