Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 22, 2012

Capcom makes an ambitious undertaking with this 2012 Open World Action-RPG.

So, uhh... anyone check out the Netflix show?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Probably the worst anime adaptation Netflix has done so far. It's boring. The characters are uninteresting. The animation is really bad; it doesn't seem to know how to do the whole 3D-to-2D look and it just comes off like really bad 3d, with inconsistent framerate for different characters/scenes. And the titular Dragon looks straight out of Beast Wars in quality.

I had low expectations because of the cheesy writing in the game and a pretty absent story, but damn they really rushed this thing out. They could do some really interesting things past the first episode, given the source material's weirdness, but I'm not wasting another 30 mins of my life on this.

Picto_Obscure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Picto_Obscure

The only thing I checked was whether the intro credits played 'Into Free'.

I left disappointed.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I vaguely recall hearing about this.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I watched the first episode and while I think 3D rendering has been ruining animation for ages, Dragons Dogma really takes it to a whole new level.

I would go as far as to say the first episode was abysmal in every way. Don’t think I have the strength to give it anymore chances - seems just really bad.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Everything about this anime is wrong, and where it all goes wrong starts at literally 1 second into the first episode when "Into Free" isn't playing.

tdous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By tdous

Watched all 7 episodes. It does not improve. It's boring, it feels stretched to fill their 7 deadly sin episode title concept, and yet feels rushed and done on a budget, a feeling supported by (as @humanity mentioned) the poor 3D dragon among other things. There are moments that hint at a kernel of an idea that could have been something more, but it feels like it was stripped back for cost to the minimum narrative and characterization needed to still make a coherent story, and given to the lowest bidder.

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the animation looks like johnny johnny yes papa

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a moment during the first episode where they get surrounded buy wolves and they almost say the famous line but then they don't.. cowards

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's badly animated, terribly written, needlessly edgy at points, and the only reason to watch is to make fun of it. The ending of episode two was the funniest thing I've seen in a while, but it's intended to make you go 'wow that's deep'. It does the anime thing of having mature themes but being seemingly written by a 12-year old.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, okay. I wasn't really into the Castlevania Netflix thing everybody seemed to be raving about. But the story and weirdness of Dragons Dogma could be great for an anime. Or so I thought.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I'll be very disappointed and upset if I don't hear the pawns say "lizard man, lizard man" over and over.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mezmero

Haven't watched it but based on the preview w/blurb I guess the main character is a generic fantasy muscle man. Fuck dat shit! How dare they not use MY game's canon of the main character being a big beautiful buff chick. Yet another victim of the man-o-centric male-ocracy.

Between this and The Dragon Prince Netflix doesn't have a great track record with dragon shit. Though in fairness I haven't seen Dragon Pilot which I think is suppose to be good?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero: The Dragon Prince is one of the best shows on Netflix actually. S2 and S3 are amazing.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

In terms of writing quality I would say this show was MAYBE a step or two above the CG Berserk movies.

MAYBE!

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Well sure I wouldn't call it bad, it's definitely got some cool stuff. I've been kind of underwhelmed by it personally. I'll admit it's better than average particularly when I imagine it being a Breath of Fire prequel. Perhaps I'm just spoiled for choice in this exceptional era of cartoons as of late.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: that is pretty blasphemous. That CGI Berserk wasn’t great but at least it’s based on great material. I actively cheered when that kid got eaten in Dragons Dogma.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shame. Was planning on giving this a chance especially since Castlevania was such a surprisingly good series. Guess you can't win them all.

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was looking forward to some violent anime Netflix show since C<astlevania was amazing.
    Still gonna give it a try and hope it doesn't suck as much for me.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I tried watching it last night. The art style and mix of 2D and 3D didn’t bother me too much, until I saw the dragon. Yikes. That looked like Beast Wars CGI. By the second episode I couldn’t handle the writing and stopped watching about halfway through.

FunkyDoRight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question: On a UPF Jeff mentioned that the ending of the game "goes some places". Always wondered where it went. Does the show follow the game story?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ve heard that no one even tells me about wolves in this.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero: The concept of Dragon Pilot was interesting enough to make me watch the whole thing, but it's a TERRIBLE show. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and I was seriously stunned how much they dropped the ball.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

netflix is terrible

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mezmero: Uhhh, how dare you besmirch the the brilliance of The Dragon Prince! It's on par with Avatar the Last Airbender for me at this point. How the two will inevitably rank for me will depend on how the next 4 seasons turn out, but as it stands, I think it is a much better successor to ATLA than Legend of Korra.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Honestly, a bad animated adaptation is exactly what I expect from Dragon's Dogma. One of my favourite games of last gen, but its also terrible in a lot of ways that I personally find endearing.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now if all of the character designs are mad fucked up that’s just being true to the source.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The ideal Dragon's Dogma tv show adaptation is a terrible tv show. Like, here are the things I would want from a DD show:

• Into Free playing constantly, just non-stop.
    • It ends with the main character having to save a random, unnamed shopkeeper they met 3 episodes ago from the dragon.
    • The main character changes their companions to random pawns in lingerie because they have the best stats.
    • Long, arduous walks because the main character doesn't want to waste their fast travel item.
    • Weirdly windy areas where the characters have to carry weights to get across.

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By steveurkel

You know what is a good netflix anime and maybe one of the best ever made?

Dorohedoro

It must be mentioned because it's so good considering some of the other netflix anime available that is of dragons dogma quality

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steveurkel: That show is bizarre but it commits the ultimate Netflix sin of ending an entire season on a huge cliffhanger without really resolving much of anything. Considering how often Netflix cancels shows after 1 season this is an especially bad move. I liked it for the most part though. Like some parts of it I hated how they looked but the entire package is so odd it's impossible to look away.

Apropos of nothing I just found out Netflix cancelled that show "I am not ok with this" which wasn't amazing but it also ended on a huge cliff hanger and now we will never know I guess. Showrunners really need to making self contained seasons.

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: i agree and I am not okay with this was amazing and one of my favorites like the end of the fucking world ... that show so good.

The insane energy of dorohedoro and its characters made it one of the most fascinating places I want to see more of. Definitely agree with how Netflix tends to cancel the good ones. Crazy head is my favorite Netflix show and it was canceled.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.