Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dreamcast

Platform »

The Dreamcast is the fifth and final console developed by Sega and the first of the sixth-generation of consoles to release. As the first 128-bit system, it was the first to offer truly arcade-quality 3D graphics. It is famous for being the first console to include worldwide online capability, its game library, and its unexpectedly short life span.

Brand new Dreamcast from amazon.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So amazon are selling brand new dreamcasts for $150. How is this possible? It looks like a great deal to me.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000K2R4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m;=A3LDVF8NLQVVFB

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By ReyGitano

Well, it's not impossible. I know the local Play N Trade has a new Dreamcast in a box for $99. I chose to get mine used instead for around 25. Great condition, 3 controllers... why am I going to pay an extra 60 dollars for a box. Still if you have that kind of money to be spending, good on you.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @SlashseveN303

Well, it's not impossible. I know the local Play N Trade has a new Dreamcast in a box for $99. I chose to get mine used instead for around 25. Great condition, 3 controllers... why am I going to pay an extra 60 dollars for a box. Still if you have that kind of money to be spending, good on you.

I was planning on getting it for my birthday so I thought, why not?
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By ReyGitano

@NekuSakuraba: That's a nice carefree attitude to have. Usually I do appreciate having everything nice and complete in my library of games, but for some reason when it comes to buying old consoles I just don't care. I assume it's the logical part of my mind telling me I can't afford to care.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Sooperspy

I've read your other posts and know that you REALLY want a new Dreamcast, so yeah, GO FOR IT!!!

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Lunar_Aura

You're taking kind of a gamble buying it new because there was a time a couple years ago where amazon had them new but I read that they ended up to be really good repackaged refurbished consoles. Personally, I wouldn't take that risk especially if I'm paying a price premium over a significantly cheaper like-new condition Dreamcast.

If you do take the plunge anyway, be sure to get a VGA adapter for maximum enjoyment. Nowadays it might not look like anything special but believe me when I say back in 1999 it was a real treat.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @LunarAura

You're taking kind of a gamble buying it new because there was a time a couple years ago where amazon had them new but I read that they ended up to be really good repackaged refurbished consoles. Personally, I wouldn't take that risk especially if I'm paying a price premium over a significantly cheaper like-new condition Dreamcast.

If you do take the plunge anyway, be sure to get a VGA adapter for maximum enjoyment. Nowadays it might not look like anything special but believe me when I say back in 1999 it was a real treat.

Is it legal for them them to do that though? Isn't it false advertising?
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By onarum
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @LunarAura

Amazon is not selling them directly, so they would not answer for that.

Besides unless you are getting it for a collection or something I think that 150 bucks, even if it was brand new, it's a bit crazy to spend on such an obsolete piece of hardware.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @onarum
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @LunarAura

Besides unless you are getting it for a collection or something I think that 150 bucks, even if it was brand new, it's a bit crazy to spend on such an obsolete piece of hardware.
    It's under their featured merchants, so they are indorsing it aren't they? Also, I know it's obsolete isn't it still a fun console and worth having?
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By onarum
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @onarum
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @LunarAura

It's under their featured merchants, so they are indorsing it aren't they? Also, I know it's obsolete isn't it still a fun console and worth having?
    IDK for sure, it's kinda like ebay I think, if the seller screws you over all they can do is mediate a solution.

Also yeah sure, I mean you do whatever the hell you want with your money man, I wouldn't do it though :P, maybe for like 50 bucks or something.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I was in Salinas recently and saw a place that had used ones for $30. $150 seems a bit steep to me, if only because it's such an old system, but I guess it's not too much to pay if you really want one.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Kyle

I don't know. Considering you could get a used one for $30-50, I don't know that I would pay $150 for a new one.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Kyle

I don't know. Considering you could get a used one for $30-50, I don't know that I would pay $150 for a new one.

What condition used?
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I got a used one in good condition with a few games like two years ago for $40.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By EpicSteve

I would just find a nice used one, they're easy to find. Use all that extra cash to buy the games and controllers you want.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I'd go used, personally.  Dreamcasts are pretty tough old things, and short of someone taking a hammer to it I think you'd never find a totally busted one.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I'm a bit worried now about buying this! How do I know if it actually is brand new like it claims? Is it legal for them to lie?

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ninjakiller

@NekuSakuraba: Sigh, buy used for god's sake. You buy 4 used Dreamcasts for the price of a new one off of Amazon.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @ninjakiller

@NekuSakuraba: Sigh, buy used for god's sake. You buy 4 used Dreamcasts for the price of a new one off of Amazon.

Ive already decided to buy It new, I just need to know if it's actually legit.
    Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Hector

@NekuSakuraba said:

@ninjakiller

I guess email/call the seller to find out.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Hector said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

@ninjakiller

I guess email/call the seller to find out.

Emailed, however I don't expect the truth.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Jadeskye

@NekuSakuraba said:

So amazon are selling brand new dreamcasts for $150. How is this possible? It looks like a great deal to me. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000K2R4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m;=A3LDVF8NLQVVFB

words cannot describe how happy this makes me. I need a second dreamcast, this much is clear.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@jadeskye said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

So amazon are selling brand new dreamcasts for $150. How is this possible? It looks like a great deal to me. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000K2R4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m;=A3LDVF8NLQVVFB

words cannot describe how happy this makes me. I need a second dreamcast, this much is clear.

Let me buy mine first! XD

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.