Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dreamcast

Platform »

The Dreamcast is the fifth and final console developed by Sega and the first of the sixth-generation of consoles to release. As the first 128-bit system, it was the first to offer truly arcade-quality 3D graphics. It is famous for being the first console to include worldwide online capability, its game library, and its unexpectedly short life span.

Dreamcast keeps resetting date/time whenever I power it off.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So the dreamcast I got from a store is in great shape other than one slight problem. Whenever I turn off the console, it keeps wanting me to reset the time and date. While this is indeed annoying, is the time and date function even necessary for games outside of seaman which rely on the clock? I could try buying another one, but am afraid of the same issues. I know the dreamcast uses some kind of battery to keep track of that stuff, is it just dead? Is it worth replacing?

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I've had my Dreamcast since I bought it new in 2000 and it has the same problem. I've never bothered fixing it but a quick google search led me here https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/29731/How+do+you+replace+the+clock+battery

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I don't know if it causes any issues with games besides seaman, but the battery replacement process doesn't look too difficult, provided you are careful and have a soldering iron: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Dreamcast+CMOS+Battery+Replacement/5020

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By damodar

Yeah, it sounds like it might be the CMOS battery. I had an issue with my dreamcast, so the case isn't screwed together at the moment and I was able to just pop it open and find the battery. It's on the board that the controller ports are on. Unfortunately, they decided to not just make it as simple as having the battery clip in or anything like that. It appears to actually be spot welded (which I think is pretty standard for batteries in consoles, game carts etc), so it might take a little bit more effort and know-how to do something about.

A quick googlin' looks like there's a decent amount of info, youtube videos etc on how to actually replace it, if you're game.

Although, yeah, it probably won't really affect anything other than being a bit of an annoyance if you don't fix it.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

It's always 1999 for the Dreamcast!

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's just, this consoles in pretty damn good shape other than that battery thing. I'm worried that the next one I get won't be in as good of condition or will have the same thing

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravensword: If you don't feel comfortable buying another console or fixing it yourself, you could take it to a local repair store. They would definitely have the tools and know-how to replace the battery safely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.