Drew Scanlon's Top 10 Games of 2013

• 111 results
#101 Posted by Nettacki (1333 posts) -

@nettacki: But that seemed to come about after everyone had finished it. I don't remember hearing anyone complain before that.

That's because people were too caught up in the hype to complain about anything. After the hype wave passed by, people started to really express whatever legit flaws the game has. Some, like TotalBiscuit, disliked the game since around release time, at least in terms of gameplay.

#102 Posted by beatnik11 (185 posts) -

Drew, you are a fantastic member of the Giant Bomb crew and your writing is pretty good, I can absolutely hear your voice coming out of your words. Its also great to have someone pushing for racing games, I hope you keep it up and keep contributing for 2014

#103 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1517 posts) -

Very nice to see Stanley Parable and Papers, Please on here. Those are two great picks. Surprising to see Infinite on top, I'm still considering if I should go for it since the gameplay looks a bit tedious for me here and there. Since you were already familiar with the HL mod I can even go so far and "generously" overlook the confused order of TSP and Gone Home. I imagine going into the game with a lot more context can easily lessen the impact of playing a re-release of sorts.

#104 Posted by Bollard (7557 posts) -

Are we going to get videos for personal top tens this year?

#105 Posted by Vrikk (1169 posts) -

I'm surprised there aren't more Eastern Block RPG/shooter hybrids on this list.

#106 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (6221 posts) -

Bioshock Infinite's use of race as window dressing for a very different story with a very different theme is very depressing. That's my opinion. I really don't see how any player can gloss over the big problems of the game's themes just because it was fun or just because the world if colorful.

If a game want to MEAN something than what it says matters. Even if its intent is good, a poorly executed telling of a story that reverses its own message must be addressed. When you intend to lament racism, but instead unintentionally glorify racism that's an issue that cannot be covered up by, "Wow it sure looks pretty."

#107 Edited by AlexanderSheen (5150 posts) -

Excellent to see Bioshock at the top of the list, Drew. It took more than its fair share of crap this year.

Drew didn't got the memo that we're supposed to hate Bioshock now.

#108 Posted by Matoyak (472 posts) -

Bioshock Infinite's use of race as window dressing for a very different story with a very different theme is very depressing. That's my opinion. I really don't see how any player can gloss over the big problems of the game's themes just because it was fun or just because the world if colorful.

If a game want to MEAN something than what it says matters. Even if its intent is good, a poorly executed telling of a story that reverses its own message must be addressed. When you intend to lament racism, but instead unintentionally glorify racism that's an issue that cannot be covered up by, "Wow it sure looks pretty."

I don't think Race was ever intended to be the main thrust of Infinite - that's something that the buildup to it likely did as a disservice. I think, instead, that the game was intended to be about America as a whole - Covering a wide range of topics from science fiction to race to religion, with a particular focus on religion. I think it didn't delve deep enough into the race stuff to satisfy most people because of how strongly the marketing and first part of the game featured it. (Which is a problem with the game, to be sure)

That game hit me harder than most, I suspect, as I had just been doing a lot of questioning of my (at the time) Christian faith (well,...it was more Deist than pure Christian, but that's semantics), and in addition I've lived in Texas my whole life. The religion stuff hit really hard, and the parallels throughout the game to Christianity was remarkably well done, and there are very few games willing to tackle Christianity head-on, and show that sometimes choosing faith can go very bad. The interplay between the Father (Comstock), the Son (Elizabeth), and the Holy Ghost (Songbird) was woven through the other general topic of Americana in a really intelligent way.

#109 Posted by Stimpack (1004 posts) -

Haha, Drew is closer to my top 10 than anyone else has been.

#110 Edited by xXHesekielXx (383 posts) -

Thanks for everything this year @drewbert, including this list!!

#112 Posted by indieslaw (525 posts) -

I don't mean this in a shitty way, but this list was surprisingly well written. I'd like to see what else Drew can do with a word or two.

#113 Posted by Brazzle (228 posts) -

Word. The bullshit moral equivocating was really problematic.

#114 Posted by LikeaSsur (1752 posts) -

@matoyak: Assigning the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost to those 3 characters really fall apart as soon as you beat the game.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
#115 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (2001 posts) -

I skipped out on getting F1 2013 during the Steam winter sale, and now I kind of regret it. Great list!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.