Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Drew Scanlon

Person » credited in 9 games

A past contract artist from Backbone Entertainment and former Video Producer at Giant Bomb, Drew ran the West Coast production arm of Giant Bomb along with Jason from 2013 to 2017, whilst also appearing regularly on the Giant Bombcast, in Quick Looks, and in other such video content.

Drew Scanlon's Top 10 Games of 2016

• 75 results
    drewbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By drewbert
    Pictured: Russian hat enthusiast.
    Pictured: Russian hat enthusiast.

Drew Scanlon is a video producer and part owner of the Internet domain f1.cool. He is currently pursuing his private pilot's license so he can fly back to North Korea for fun.

Before we begin, let's get one thing straight: Final Fantasy VI is great.

The Final Fantasy series is one I’ve only ever observed from a distance, mostly because it just seemed daunting to tackle. There are so many, which one should I play? And they’re so long, how will I ever find the time? Fortunately, Brad and Jason solved the first problem by highly lauding FF6 during the Quick Look of World of Final Fantasy and I solved the second by utilizing my prized Game Boy Micro to play in 30 minute chunks before falling asleep.

I’m glad these stars aligned, because I'm having a great time. My expectations of a long-winded, nonsensical story paired with infuriating random battles and obtuse quests were almost entirely wrong. The story is fantastical yet clearly told and the characters are charming. The quests are clever and varied, and I’ve so far only had to consult a FAQ once (the tried-and-true method of “talk to everyone, open everything” works pretty much all the time). And while random battles are frequent, most are easy to breeze through and the tougher ones are often a fun challenge. It’s apparent that a lot of care went into FF6, and it’s usually games like those that stand the test of time.

And while we’re doing shout-outs, I really wish I had played more Pocket Card Jockey and Twilight Struggle.

Austin knows what's up.
    Austin knows what's up.

10. Event[0]

Event[0] is (stop me if you've heard this one before) a first-person adventure game set on a deserted spaceship, but it quickly becomes apparent that this game is going for something a little different. Most of your time is spent conversing with the ship’s onboard artificial intelligence by typing into in-game terminals. The crazy thing is, you talk to this computer in English, not code. What’s even crazier is that it works. Admittedly, it’s not perfect. It’s often reminiscent of simple chat bots like Dr. Sbaitso, and most attempts to deviate from the conversation result in a generic response.

The game seems to understand its shortcomings, however, and I found that it never overstayed its welcome in any one activity. As soon as I got tired of talking, I was treated to some good ol' walking around puzzle solving. When the conversation stuff clicks, though, it’s scary. When I was worried the computer was angry with me, I found myself using calming language, so as not to upset it. You know, maybe I should book another appointment with Dr. Sbaitso...

I'm a sucker for
    I'm a sucker for "future-old" computers.

9. Abzû

I’ve been looking for a good scuba diving game for a long time, and I feel like I’ve finally found it in Abzû. Everything from the way light bends underwater, to the hyper accurate animation of the sea life, serves to remind me just how much I love the ocean. Not only are the game’s visuals beautiful, but Abzû’s music blends so well with what you’re experiencing in the game you’d swear it was some kind of magic. The game’s simple story is well told, and includes a twist I didn’t see coming. It is both high praise and a heavy burden for a game to bear a reputation like “underwater Journey,” but I’d say Abzû shoulders it well.

Cûl.
    Cûl.

8. Titanfall 2

Titanfall 2 is dinner at a fancy restaurant. Every time you think “you know, I could really use a--” it is placed in front of you for you to devour. And it’s delicious. Just when you think you’re full of the wall-running étouffée, a heaping plate of lock-on missile alfredo slides right in. I never even touched the multiplayer (too spicy), but I left satisfied nonetheless.

I want BT-7274 saying
    I want BT-7274 saying "pilot" as my text message tone.

7. Inside

The world of Inside may be a colossal bummer, but boy is it nice to look at. Watching the environments scroll by--each locale dropping hints about what’s really going on in this world--was the force that drove me through the game in one sitting (a rarity for me). The puzzles are cleverly integrated into the heavy and oppressive environment, often uncomfortably so, causing me to cringe as I pulled a lever or pressed a switch. The game’s mysteries never really get fully explained, and I like that. The ending of the game leaves similar emotional holes that feel better to leave unfilled.

This is the most colorful screenshot I could find.
    This is the most colorful screenshot I could find.

6. Overwatch

Blizzard is well-known for its ability to polish a game to a blinding shine. And while Overwatch is an impressive demonstration that this uncanny ability can even be applied to genres Blizzard has never explored before, the game’s true strength lies not during the gameplay but after. The positive-only reinforcement doled out to all players in the postgame report seems like a small touch, but it’s indicative of just how thoroughly Blizzard contemplated not just the game itself, but the people playing it, and why we play the games we do. As we sometimes forget, we play games to have fun, and Overwatch is a blast.

Man, you throw dark.
    Man, you throw dark.

5. The Witness

Imparting a sense of wonder is a feat made increasingly difficult as the gaming audience gets harder and harder to impress. That The Witness even comes close to evoking the feelings I had playing Myst as a kid is impressive. The world the game creates is simultaneously impossible and starkly real, giving weight to the strangeness you encounter like the doors in rock faces and people who have been turned to stone. I am content to never finish The Witness because I already feel like I've gotten something valuable from it: the realization that there’s still a childlike sense of awe left in me. Thanks, The Witness, for suggesting that I’m not an emotionless husk.

One minute you're cleaning your aquarium and the next you're in Spec Ops: The Line.
    One minute you're cleaning your aquarium and the next you're in Spec Ops: The Line.

4. Hitman

Hitman strikes me as a game where the developers finally got to make what was locked in their minds all along. Everything about its design clicks with a confidence you’d expect from years of lovingly working on a franchise. All the mechanics play so smoothly together that the translation from “thought in my head” to “flawless execution” happens almost instantly. And even if my master plan doesn’t work out (usually a result of my own impatience), I never feel stuck or like the game is holding me back. Instead, the game says “you got yourself into this mess. Here are some tools. Let’s see if you can get out of it.”

I should also mention that I find myself doing all the side challenges on each level before moving on, and I NEVER do that. Instead of seeing them as tasks to do begrudgingly, I consider them opportunities to further hone myself into a multifaceted, nimble killing machine... who throws wrenches at people.

Do you concur?
    Do you concur?

3. Picross 3D: Round 2

On the surface, Picross is almost too simple a game: remove blocks using basic logic to reveal a crude shape. I’m still not sure I understand why this task is so incredibly alluring, but I CAN’T. STOP. Perhaps it’s the drip-feed of figuring out each micro-puzzle in “should this block be here?” Perhaps it’s the sense of accomplishment after spending thirty minutes on one puzzle and making it through without any mistakes. Perhaps it is the deceptively simple premise itself that challenges you, saying “oh, you think this is easy? Prove it.” Picross is a mystery to me, one I can’t tear myself away from.

I AM A GENIUS.
    I AM A GENIUS.

2. Overcooked!

If I had my own Game of the Year awards, there would definitely be a “Multiplayer Game That I Played a Lot During the Holidays and Everyone Had Fun Despite the Fact That Not Everyone Was an Adept Player of Video Games” category. If such a thing existed, Overcooked would proudly join the ranks of Jackbox Party Pack and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. No game this year made me laugh harder.

It should be reiterated that the game's story involves you cooking to save the world from a monster made of spaghetti.
    It should be reiterated that the game's story involves you cooking to save the world from a monster made of spaghetti.

1. Doom

Doom manages to find a balance between evoking the past and creating something that feels fresh in 2016, and does so with conviction, like a man not walking across a tightrope, but sprinting. The result is a game that inhabits that golden realm where the game becomes an extension of you. Where you stop thinking about what the game wants you to do and start using it as a tool to enact your own will. Doom is flow, embodied.

I also can't quite believe how much I like the Doom marine. Not because I don't think we'd get along, but because he's an actual character. A character that doesn't have any lines. I don't care who you are, getting an audience to care about a character that communicates exclusively in punching science equipment is a monumental achievement. Combine that with some gorgeous visuals and a rippin’ soundtrack and you’ve got yourself quite a video game.

I implore all of you to get the hot bullets of shotgun to die.
    I implore all of you to get the hot bullets of shotgun to die.

fixerofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By fixerofdeath

Nice list, Drew. DOOM!!!

El_Mahico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By El_Mahico

Drew!

SleepingLesson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

Awesome list Drew! I guess I have to play Abzu, huh.

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Excellent list of video games. I really enjoyed the metaphor of a fancy dinner for Titanfall 2 - that's a unique (and apt!) way of describing that game.

Cykke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad Overcooked gets some nice recognition!

I only wish it had online play.

jsgr93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great list Drew!

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew never struck me as a Doom kinda guy, somehow.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Drew always seems like the wild card, where I have no idea what to expect.

I guess I can usually expect a good list, though, and this year is no different!

Thecassius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I agree with much of this list. Keep it up Drew!

iroh181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Titanfall 2 Description is one of my favorite things I have ever read. Some lock on missile alfredo sounds pretty good right about now...

Kalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy VI GOTY 2016. Nice

DurMan667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inside was awfully cool, but I'm not sure that I agree about it being better for not having a more satisfying ending. Great list regardless!

handdipped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By handdipped

Nice list sir, great to see some Abzu love.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drewbert How much did you pay for your GBA copy of FF6? I looked online and it didn't seem that expensive, but I chatted with the guys at a used games store and they said it was the most expensive/sought-after GBA cart!

You should also check out FF Tactics for the GBA also - it doesn't have the same serious story of the PS1 game, but it still has a fantastic battle system. The lack of really important story also makes it perfect for commuting on public transit cause you never really have to worry about pausing mid story-beat or remembering what's going on.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By DharmaBum

Excellent list, duder. *Trenched salute*

dovah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Drew!

Chicken008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Fuck yeah Picross!!

PrarieD0G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PrarieD0G

I predict Doom as GOTY for GiantBomb. Nice list! Your writing was tight and entertaining, too (especially for Titalfall 2, lol).

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really should finish DOOM, I just made the mistake of walking away from it for "just a few days" which ended up being months. But I reckon I'm almost done. It's just weird that I have a hard time returning to it, since I loved every minute of it I was playing it.

cfilipec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

Great read!

johnseminario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These are some cool video games, Drew!

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOOM

Avatar image for plonkplonkplonk
    plonkplonkplonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew, you're a dang good writer. Would love to see more from you.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Great list Drew! Lots of surprising entries on there.

zockroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zockroach

good list, Drew!

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Great list, my thoughts:

FFVI: I got stuck shortly after the part Brad keeps alluding to getting excited for you about; I hope the same doesn't happen to you! One thing I'll say about FFVI (and FFVII) is that I loved both of them, and in both cases I got stuck at a point deep in the game due to items (or lack thereof) and levels and that was a real bummer.

And for your actual list:

Abzu:

I enjoyed the experience of being inside a school of fish, swimming alongside a whale, and yea, the swimming felt pretty damn good. But I don’t recall why I was doing any of that, and felt it borrowed from Journey beat for beat in a way that struck me as off putting more than charming. I appreciated the experience but I wasn’t in awe of it.

Titanfall 2:

I’d love to give this game a shot, but I don’t typically get sucked into FPS games, like you avoid the multiplayer at most costs and for whatever reason even after the Quick Look I just can’t imagine what the single player campaign looks like.

Inside:

I really want to buy this, but every time I think to do so I remember I have bills to pay.

Overwatch:

So many people that I can tell don’t play much competitive FPS seem to love this game that I constantly think about giving it a shot especially since it’s constantly on sale on PSN these days. But it’s a competitive FPS, so I don’t.

The Witness:

Loved this game for the first two hours or so, hit some roadblocks, uninstalled it almost immediately. This game was impenetrable for both myself and my girlfriend, and we love solving puzzles/crosswords/what have you. IMPENETRABLE.

Hitman:

I just fear this game is more fun to watch others play than I would have with it myself. Most of the enjoyment I’ve got out of watching it is you and the staff’s reactions to what takes place; I imagine myself in the same situation not having as good a time. My fault probably.

Overcooked:

I LOVE THIS GAME…but my partner is a decade older than me, has no history with video games other than Tetris, Mario, and other Most Popular Video Games of All-Time (that came out in the mid-late 80s and early 90s) and so once the maps started throwing in quirks it became incredibly difficult to play. Perhaps some of that is owed to just two people cooking instead of four (we are both service industry veterans and know the feeling) but I wish we had got to play more of this. She just found it too confounding.

Doom:

Yep.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tothenines: same here, i started playing it and loved it, and then suddenly just stopped and haven't gotten back to it. Weird

Art_Vandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the list and the style of writing.

Saberunna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew brings a very unique outlook to Giant bomb! Keep up the great work!

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

a heaping plate of lock-on missile alfredo

We don't deserve Drew.

Seriously, @drewbert, did you take any writing courses or do you just practice in your spare time? The cadence that you write in is easy to read and your jokes fit very naturally.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#32  Edited By Colonel_Pockets

DOOM!!!!

gugagomes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no idea what to expect from Drew's list, but I'm not surprised? DOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

afields101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great list Drew, Short and sweet. Happy Holidays!

PunchBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DROOM

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#36  Edited By ZombiePie

If there is something wrong with including decades old Final Fantasy games on your GOTY list, then I am about to commit a horrible faux pas.

@drewbert embrace the Final Fantasy torment. It is your destiny.

fetterdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

DREWM

Laner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Laner
    No Caption Provided

That hero image... glad I wasn't drinking anything...

Excellent list; Event[0] sounds right up my alley... need to give that a look.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I love Drew

100mullets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I approve Drew. CAVOK!

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha, great list and surprising number 1! Any list that has Picross is tasteful. At the same time you made Titanfall 2 sound tasty! (I want more games to have a fancy restaurant metaphor)

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wow, I had no idea Drew liked Doom so much. Amazing. Great list.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Glad Drew's enjoying FF VI. Good to see some Overcooked love too!

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow very nice list!

rocketfalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Twilight Struggle is absolutely one of the best board games of all time, for me, and I still really need to pick up the digital version. Main flaw is how rarely I can get it to the table, and maybe having it in video game form will help. Or make the problem worse. Who knows.

Picross is amazing.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Great list and a great write up. Thanks for all the great content in 2016, Drew. I really need to play Abzu.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PICROSS 3D!!!!

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By Snail

Man, you throw dark.

"But you're in luck! So does Giant Bomb dot com!", I heard instantly in my mind.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent list, Mr. Scanlon!

Really hit the nail on the head about Doom. That game is alllll about flow.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That picture of you and Brad getting off on the SMELL...I just doNOT know!

Always interesting to read your list.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.