Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Driift Mania

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Sep 28, 2009

Top down racer by Konami for Nintendo's Wiiware service.

One of the most entertaining games on the Wii

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By rallier

Driift Mania (the title of the game page is incorrect) is the game i have had the most fun with playing with friends for a long long time and I really wanted to show you guys what it is about and encourage you to try it out and hopefully have just as much fun with it as I and my friends have.  

This image is just here so that you'll be distracted from the amount of text there is here
     This image is just here so that you'll be distracted from the amount of text there is here
    So what is it for a game? Well it is a top-down-single-screen-arcade-driving-game-deluxe-2000

When you glace at it the game looks rather basic, 15 courses, 32 vehicles, 6 modes. Myself when i first looked at the vehicle select screen I thought "hmm well i'll just pick the one that looks the nicest since they probably all have the same feel". My was I wrong, every vehicle feels completely unique and you will actually have to learn how they handle before you can even make a turn with some of them (love you duck car). The vehicles are divided in 4 classes, light, medium, heavy and special and you can set if you want to restrict races to classes or allow the classes to race against each other which is the most fun (tank vs golf cart)

The courses them selves are not all that special either when you first look at them but their design allows some great game play strategies which I'll get into somewhat later on.

There are 6 modes:

Normal race and team race

Pretty straightforward here. You simply race the tracks and the first to cross the line wins. The thing though is that the game uses checkpoint and that in most of the maps you can take alternative routes and quite some maps also allow you to fall of the road which in multi player means being pushed of the road by "accident".

Potato

The players drive a lap and the last to cross the line gets the potato. The potato explodes after a while so he'll have to try and bumb into another car to pass him the potato before it explodes. If you are carrying the potato when it explodes you are out of the game and someone randomly will get the potato and so on until the last there is only one player left. 
     So what happens in this mode is everyone fleeing the player who has the potato and this is where the map design shines since there are many place to hide and their open nature allow you to go everywhere.  

Meteriode

This is one of my less favourite modes actually. Just like a normal race the goal is to do a certain number of laps but now a with the time progressive number of meteorites will rain down on the track (you'll see their shadow before the hit the track) and you'll have to avoid them which when there are a lot of people on the track is quite hard. The game ends when either all the players are dead or a player has driven the set number of laps which is quite a difficult task since when you get to the end the meteorites will rain down at an insane rate. 
    The thing here is that it are not the falling meteorites that are dangerous it are your friends who are trying to force you under them that are ^^

VIP

VIP is a team based mode in which two teams will be formed and in a turn based fashion on of the memebrs of one team (the vip) will need to drive a lap in a set time with the assistanc eof his team mates and it is the task of the other team to stop him from doing so. This mode as you can imagine is abolutely frantic. 

Contaminaition

If I had to pick my favourite mode of the game then it would be this one. In contamination just like in Meteoroid the players have to race one lap and the last one to cross the line will become the contaminated and it is his goal to try and contaminate all the other players (the final score is based on how long you managed to stay clean) as soon as you are touched you also become contaminated. The game ends when either all the players are contaminated or when the time limited runs out. 

Now you might be thinking that sound OK but its not all that special. Well you're right it doesn't. The thing that makes this game great is 8 player local multiplayer.

Yes all the event  just described can be played with up to 8 players at the same time and it is magnificent. To play this game with eight players you just need 4 standard wiimote+nunchucks one player using the wii-more like a NES pad and the other using the nunchuck with the analogue stick. Another factor that makes this game great is that it can be turned in a drinking game. For example me and my friends like to use the rule that everyone that was infected drinks.

Oh yeah it is a Wiiware game and cost only 800 points. Go and get it.

my that is quite some text there, hope i do not scare anyone off with it ^^
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By rallier

1h and 7 min later my thread gets pushed of the first page of "latest topics" and since no one knows about this game there will probably be no comments at all if i am not to bump it. Giant Bomb's forum structure really makes it impossible to talk about a less known game. I even used a title that should have attracted some people be they genuinly interested or were going to say "wii sucks" just so it would not drift of the first page. But alas it did.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

since no one knows about this game there will probably be no comments at all

Welcome to the wonderful world of Wii gaming.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.