Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Driver: San Francisco

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

Tanner returns in this new Driver sequel. Set in San Francisco, the game actually takes place inside his coma stricken brain. This allows him to bend the rules of the road... and reality!

Are these issues ever addressed?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hunkulese

I realize that the answer to both of these questions can be answered by the word videogames but 2 things have been bothering me.

Is there a reason that Tanner doesn't just shift into the car trying to get away from the cops besides the fact that it would make a boring videogame?

Also does he ever consider what he's doing to the people he shifts into? He seems to have no issue with the fact that he's taking over someone's body smashing their car headfirst into a bad guy then jumping out. I realize that the game is taking place in his mind but he doesn't realize this and his catch the bad guy no matter what I have to do seems odd.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

These questions seem too deep for this game.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Kierkegaard

@Hunkulese said:

I realize that the answer to both of these questions can be answered by the word videogames but 2 things have been bothering me.

Is there a reason that Tanner doesn't just shift into the car trying to get away from the cops besides the fact that it would make a boring videogame?

Also does he ever consider what he's doing to the people he shifts into? He seems to have no issue with the fact that he's taking over someone's body smashing their car headfirst into a bad guy then jumping out. I realize that the game is taking place in his mind but he doesn't realize this and his catch the bad guy no matter what I have to do seems odd.

Okay, so hear me out. Tanner is in this coma and he's trying to work out of it, right? The city represents his body according to Jericho, but he's Tanner's death wish? Or nihilism? So it's not a reliable source.

If the game is actually Tanner rankling with his inner demons, and his inner monologue, trying to figure out Jericho's plan and will himself out of a coma (which is awesomely silly and I'm fine with it), then the destructiveness and the limits that Tanner give himself represent that struggle. He's facing down problems of mind and body in finding clarity and health, thus hurting others in his contrived world and limiting his powers at the same time.

How'd I do?

Generiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Generiko

What I have a problem with is Tanner saying that Jericho sending civilians to ram him is wrong because "he doesn't care about them and they might get hurt or killed." Umm Tanner you have sent cars head on against 18 wheelers.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I like to think that once he leaves someones body they heat up so much that any water in their body evaporates and they explode in a glorious fireball and shoot into the sky to become stars. Since it's not explained it's better to just make something up.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By DJJoeJoe

Do you think about these type of things when you dream? Usually in a dream you are focusing on just a few things and areas and sometimes even how someone actually looks isn't really important to what's happening, let alone what happens to them after you move onto another part of the dream.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

You see inside the car is a giant hunk of metal. This hunk of metal powers the car and can power it for, like, ever. See the metal gets really hot though so you need more metal that you shoot out. Thermal Clips.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Ravenlight

@Irvandus said:

Thermal Clips.

This is the most plausible explanation I've heard for anything that happens in the Driver franchise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.