Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DualShock 4

Accessory »

The fourth iteration of the DualShock controller for PlayStation 4. It includes a touch pad, light bar, and Share button.

Bizarre Dual Shock 4 issue.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shindig

I need to figure this one out. My main Dual Shock 4 is, weirdly failing to register button presses in certain menus. Its fine and dandy on the dashboard but on certain game prompts (i.e. Valiant Heart's 'Press any button' prompt at the title screen) no button registers. Hence I have to switch to my spare pad (which is good for very little), press a button to advance and then switch back to the main controller. Then everything is fine.

Another example was happening last night. I was playing DmC and had tutorials on. Once the tutorial triggered I found I couldn't press anything to advance. Again, switched to plan B and then switched back to carry on with things like nothing has happened.

Now, I can't see anything obvious as to why this is happening. I don't see any button being jammed on which would override any inputs and games are controlling fine aside from these weird roadblocks. So... what is happening?

EDIT: Ah. Seems I have to disconnect then reconnect the controller. Still a very odd, odd, odd situation where it seems to lose track of the controller when you load into a game.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

That's strange. Needing to plug it and out makes me think its some odd sync issue.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There are a few instances where pressing the 'Options' button does nothing but I think that was only in Destiny so I'm not sure if it's the controller's problem or Destiny's. Never had any other trouble apart from that.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, this seems to vary from game to game in severity. In Pro Evo it happens whenever it decides to load a save and the tutorial stuff in DmC is extra frustrating.

• Tutorial pops up, controller stops
    • Switch to the spare and do the move it tells you to.
    • Pause
    • Switch back

I could turn tutorials off but how else would I know how to do things?

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know if this applies to your situation but many times when the system fails to register a button command its usually because something is blocking the area between my controller and ps4. Sometimes if I lean back on my couch and put my feet up and my controller in my lap or if im holding it above my head but behind the couch it wont work. then I move the controller back into view and its fine.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's a really odd issue!

Have you tried resetting the controller with the button in the pinhole on the back of the controller near L2?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shindig

Tried that. It disconnects the controller rather than re-synching it so its not doing anything I wasn't doing before.

Ladies and gentlemen, turns out my right trigger was slightly jammed so the inputs weren't registering. I should've really twigged on to that when I couldn't use my guns in DmC.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I bought my PS4 at launch, I was using it by the second day it was out....fracking HDMI metal bit has to be bent out for the way. (But that's not why I'm here today.)

Since launch I had gone through FOUR Dual Shock 4s. I always break them in the same spot, the R2 trigger. Never the analog sticks, never the L2 trigger, and never the buttons. I'll admit it I share blame: I play shooters and I pull that trigger a lot and hard. However, I think Sony shares a bit of blame if that keeps happening to more people than me.

I have opened up the last two and I can say that one of the pivot axles the the trigger rotates on is broken and that the string that is supposed to be there is lost in the innards....that spring is GONE. So, even if I could glue the trigger I can't really fix it. Sooooo....err anyone want a battery?

No seriously, I really don't want to bother fixing the latest broken one, so what the hell do you do with these things? Aside from remove the battery and toss the rest?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.