Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DualShock 4

Accessory »

The fourth iteration of the DualShock controller for PlayStation 4. It includes a touch pad, light bar, and Share button.

Dualshock 4 on PC - Beware of power packs

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

I love the DS4 and, like a lot of people, find the only real negative to be battery life.

Instead of swapping the battery for a higher mah third party one, I bought this battery pack. Bad move.

When the DS4's battery is running low you flick a switch on the pack (which is attached to the usb port on the front of the controller) which will charge the battery while you play. Unfortunately I hadn't thought through how the DS4 works on PC before buying it:

Plug a usb cable into the DS4 and attach it to your PC to charge, turning the DS4 (presumably) into a wired controller. With the battery pack switched on and the controller now in 'wired' mode it loses connection because it's not attached to the PC.

I'm posting this either as a word of warning for others or in case I've missed a setting in DS4Windows - I use the Jays2Kings version of the drivers.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Why don't you just turn the battery pack off if that's the cause of the problem? I don't see why you would want the battery pack on while your controller is plugged in anyway.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard:The controller's not plugged in when the battery pack is connected.

I bought the pack so I didn't have to plug the controller in to charge it. I turn the battery pack on and because there's a charge going into the DS4's usb port (but it's not connected by cable to PC) it cuts the bluetooth connection.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@dave_tacitus: Ah I think I understand what you meant, the DS4 thinks it's connected in wired mode to your PC when the pack is on and you wanted to use it with bluetooth.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: Yep, sorry if I wasn't making myself clear.

What I need is a driver setting which keeps bluetooth turned on if the controller detects the usb port in use. Don't see anything in the Jays2kings driver but I'll check the other DS4Windows version. Doubt it's possible.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Downloaded the other DS4Windows exec, now called InputMapper.

Works fine with the battery pack. ;)

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Weird thing I found with the DS4: it has separate... connection memory (i guess?) for both wired and wireless connections. What I mean is if it's wireless connected to PS4 and then you wire it to PC for use there, then unwire it, it'll reconnect with the PS4 immediately. Found out at a game party when we were switching which controllers would be wired due to charges and they randomly started controlling the PS4 lol

So whenever there seems to be some kind of weird connection issues going on, always make sure that you start off with the controller wirelessly paired to the platform you want it connected to, no matter if you're going to be using wired or wireless.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.