Dualshock thumbsticks wearing after a couple weeks usage?

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BradBrains

got a ps4 a few weeks ago and haven't played it too much.

the rubber on the sticks seems not the strongest thing in the world and aren't fps friendly (noticed the wear after a couple hours of playing Wolfenstein)

just wondering if anyone else has seen this. ive read stuff other places but those places arent here and i like you guys (aww)

or maybe im just hard on controllers. though ive never had issues with any other systems before this.

the second reason i make this thread was i was looking at getting thumbstick covers for it and wondering if anyone has tried them and have some suggestions. i don't want to buy a new controller once every few months :(

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My PS4 controller has been used quite a bit since I got it. (PC and PS4). The sticks are still in good condition.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe its a manufactors flaw on mine.

the best way to describe it is the plastic on the sticks is flaking off. seeing similar wear at the end of the r2 and l2 buttons

L1fef0rm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine are OK, I am always gentle with my electronics. They have had heavy use for almost a year and they are still good. Rotating between 3 DS4s is also helping I suppose.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I haven't noticed any wear on the thumb part yet but they are starting to get faint rings around the shafts that look like they're going to turn into deep cuts like I used to get on the DS3. I can see why the little bevel on the DS4 thumbsticks mightwear down, I'd say you'll be alright even if it flattens out a bit.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

@bradbrains: I bet some of those stick covers and they're not amazing but they're not awful either. I had them on my healthy sticks for awhile as a preventive measure but have since taken them off.

The one important thing to note about using those covers is that they all raise the height of the sticks to some degree - which can make them feel a little weird

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

I got the Destiny bundle and have played about 40 hours since the 9th, and haven't noticed anything yet. The only problem I HAVE noticed is the terribly bad battery life on the DualShock 4. I've been considering doing a battery swap.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Silver-Streak

@bradbrains: there's a known production batch of DS4's since launch that have been bad. Supposedly it's a set from a specific manufacturing plant outside of japan, but no one's been able to pin it down.

Sony /will/ replace it for you, if you want. I have 2 launch controllers, and I switch them back and forth equally. One of them was affected, one was not.

What I did is replace the sticks in the one that was affected with these: http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Thumbsticks-Analogue-4Playstation-Controllers/dp/B00K23G0DG/

They work great, and replacing the sticks is easy. Be warned, that does void the warranty. I still kind of prefer the original sticks, but these are really nice.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Yes I got mine for a dollar so it's worth a shot.

I'm gonna need a second controller as I only have one so I'll see if it happens on that too. Or I'll keep it as my non intense gaming rig.

Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Ninja

The quality of the rubber is terrible in my experience, third party sellers are making covers for the stick which work reasonably well...

http://www.amazon.com/Controller-Thumb-Grips-4-Pack-Playstation-4/dp/B00GH7UA32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411428313&sr=8-1&keywords=dualshock+4+stick+cover

I bought these and found that the convex ones do a great job!

ShaolinSpade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only wear I've had is from when my brother and I played FIFA together for a few hours. I'm not sure if it's his own chemistry or he grips them really hard but he's the only one that's done any range to them. For reference I've logged well over 100 hours since with many different people playing and there has been no additional wear.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had PS4 since launch, play all the time and both my controllers are flawless. I think some people grip harder than others, because my controllers always last forever.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Replace them with Xbone sticks.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i have only had mine for about 7 months. but i have only used 1 controller and there is nothing wrong with the sticks yet. although the touchpad has started to make a click sound in the bottom left corner. nothing is wrong with it. but feels more like a big fat button now because of it. its hard to explain what its like but imagine you get i dont know something liquid with sugar or something like that in it. and it dryes that kind of click. oh and btw i have not spilled anything in to it

but it sounds like its not a uncommon thing although the L2/R2 is something i have not heard before

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

@humanity: Yes I got mine for a dollar so it's worth a shot.

I'm gonna need a second controller as I only have one so I'll see if it happens on that too. Or I'll keep it as my non intense gaming rig.

For your second controller you should buy the white version. I don't know if it's been confirmed but I've heard rumors that apparently the white controllers have sturdier rubber. I got my covers real cheap too. I've notice when I have them on clicking the sticks in is a lot easier but other than that it's nothing special. I mainly got them because I didn't like the way the way those sticks are convex and not concave like the 360 pads - but the rubber add-ons that are concave shaped are intentionally a little higher for some reason.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had mine since the European launch date and there's no sign of wear or tear on my controllers, but I have read that it is a known issue with people and I've seen images of the rubber practically ripped off the thumbstick so you're certainly not the only one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.