Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duck Hunt Dog

Character » appears in 13 games

The player's canine hunting companion (and erstwhile source of mockery) in Duck Hunt.

Duck Hunt Revival Speculation. Note: SSB4 Spoilers

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

No Caption Provided

So Duck Hunt is pretty incredible in Smash 4. It's inspired. The great thing is it's not like "Duck Hunt Dog" like many speculated but is a brand new never before seen duo called Duck Hunt. Presumably their first names are Duck and Hunt. They're great together! They attack together, Duck flies and pokes out with her beak, and Hunt has a bunch of gun related moves as well as appropriate melee stuff. Watching it I sort of get chills. If Rare was not with Microsoft this is what Banjo-Kazooie would've been like in Smash Brothers.

Anyway let's talk revival. I would love love love a good old fashioned old school retro 3D platformer. I just want it to be Hunt, Duck and colorful worlds/characters inspired by light gun of old games that would never see the light of day again otherwise outside of a Warioware Minigame in the early 00s. That'd be great. Also I want it to involve ducking, no pun intended, and doing moves from a duck. Basically I just want bootleg Banjo-Kazooie.

I don't want it to any way shape or form resemble a lightgun game because those are passe and even on the Wii they didn't get much of a foothold despite them being much more feasible due to the Wiimote. It needs to be like Kid Icarus, just a clean break from the old stuff. 3D instead of 2D, etc etc.

Man I'd love a Banjo-Kazooie type game starring those 2. Duck Hunt Adventures or something. Look at the 6th skin up there. Sakurai knows what he's done. Hopefully Nintendo picks up on that and makes it real.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

A bootleg Banjo-Kazooie by Nintendo would probably be a better platformer than anything modern Rare could do. And I say this as a huge fan of Nuts & Bolts.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

This inclusion in the game is so inspired and wonderful that I feel like I could take back every nasty thing I have every said about that dog.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Angry Ducks

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Duck and Hunt: classic buddy cop film.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@hailinel said:

This inclusion in the game is so inspired and wonderful that I feel like I could take back every nasty thing I have every said about that dog.

If you want your day ruined, make sure to read the GameFAQs boards for this game: WHY NO RIDLY. DOG IS DUM. "I think characters deserve to be included by a totally random and nonsensical criteria of my own making."

I personally applaud this choice as being on the same level as the Wii Fit Trainer in terms of entirely bonkers character selection.

A bootleg Banjo-Kazooie by Nintendo would probably be a better platformer than anything modern Rare could do. And I say this as a huge fan of Nuts & Bolts.

Also this. Of course, the thing is that modern Rare isn't even the Rare of 2008, the one that made Nuts and Bolts. The modern Rare is, as far as I can tell, a skeleton with a handful of intellectual properties that will occasionally be trotted out in half-hearted fashion (re: Conker in Project Spark). Anyone who made that company anything has gone somewhere else. Rare's descent into irrelevancy is just a bummer all-around.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

If you want your day ruined, make sure to read the GameFAQs boards for this game: WHY NO RIDLY. DOG IS DUM. "I think characters deserve to be included by a totally random and nonsensical criteria of my own making."

I personally applaud this choice as being on the same level as the Wii Fit Trainer in terms of entirely bonkers character selection.

There have been people screaming for Ridley to be playable since the day this game was announced, so that doesn't really surprise me or threaten to ruin my day. I'm more just baffled that anyone would think Ridley would make a good playable character in Smash Bros. He's far too big and I just can't imagine what he'd actually do as a fighter. If anything, he'll be a boss in the game like he was in Brawl.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I could see maybe Nintendo throwing in a duck hunt themed level in a mini game collection like Nintendoland but a full on reboot? No way that could happen. If they were I'd be down for something like Dog the Bounty Hunter and you gotta hunt the Evil Duck Gang members on an extraterrestrial planet. Add furry aliens while you're at it.

hunterob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By hunterob

I understand why people want Ridley, but he's too big. There are only a handful of iconic characters from the Metroid series to pull from and Samus is the only one who wouldn't take up half the screen.

It sounds a bit farfetched to say that their names are Duck and Hunt. The game was called that because it's a simple way to describe what you do in game, why would they go and retroactively make it the name of two characters from it? I think the character is called Duck Hunt because it represents Duck Hunt, and the dog and duck don't have names. That we know of. Yet.

If they revived Duck Hunt, it'd have to involve shooting, because that's the only core tenet of the series. That'd be like making a new Pac-Man (also in this game) game and instead of using mazes like the reason he is famous, putting him in a generic, mediocre platformer. It's a bad decision.

I guess Nintendo could be like "psst... we're making a Banjo-Kazooie clone and skinning it with this old-ass IP so it won't be as questionable". I'd like a new, proper Banjo-Kazooie game. I hated Nuts and Bolts, personally. I'll take a decent attempt at one.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Why is the duck helping the dog? The dog's purpose in Duck Hunt is to hold up their lifeless bodies and laugh at them. Why would you ever help someone like that?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunterob said:

I understand why people want Ridley, but he's too big. There are only a handful of iconic characters from the Metroid series to pull from and Samus is the only one who wouldn't take up half the screen.

It sounds a bit farfetched to say that their names are Duck and Hunt. The game was called that because it's a simple way to describe what you do in game, why would they go and retroactively make it the name of two characters from it? I think the character is called Duck Hunt because it represents Duck Hunt, and the dog and duck don't have names. That we know of. Yet.

If they revived Duck Hunt, it'd have to involve shooting, because that's the only core tenet of the series. That'd be like making a new Pac-Man (also in this game) game and instead of using mazes like the reason he is famous, putting him in a generic, mediocre platformer. It's a bad decision.

I guess Nintendo could be like "psst... we're making a Banjo-Kazooie clone and skinning it with this old-ass IP so it won't be as questionable". I'd like a new, proper Banjo-Kazooie game. I hated Nuts and Bolts, personally. I'll take a decent attempt at one.

Actually, Kid Icarus: Uprising breaks from the NES and Game Boy games almost completely in its design. It's not a platformer, but a 3D action game with melee and shooting elements, and also has on-rails shooting stages. It feels completely unlike Kid Icarus, yet the characters, motifs, and references to the old games are all there, making everything familiar even though Uprising is conceptually a completely different game.

As for reviving Duck Hunt, the most obvious thing to do would be to make a shooting gallery-style game, though that sort of game doesn't really fly in this day and age. But if Nintendo wanted to get really off the wall and involve the dog in some sort of ridiculous romp that played nothing like Duck Hunt, I'd be for that.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

@hailinel said:

There have been people screaming for Ridley to be playable since the day this game was announced, so that doesn't really surprise me or threaten to ruin my day. I'm more just baffled that anyone would think Ridley would make a good playable character in Smash Bros. He's far too big and I just can't imagine what he'd actually do as a fighter. If anything, he'll be a boss in the game like he was in Brawl.

"Why would anyone want Captain Falcon in Smash Bros? All he does is drive around in a car that's too big, and I dunno what he'd actually do as a fighter."

"Why would anyone want Fox in Smash Bros? All he does is fly jets and tanks, I dunno what he'd actually do as a fighter."

"Why would anyone want Ice Climbers in Smash Bros? All they do is swing a hammer, I dunno what they'd actually do as fighters."

Oh wait all of these characters were put into Smash Bros anyways and have fantastic creative movesets. It's almost as if what specific actions the characters do in their games doesn't matter.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

@hailinel said:

"Why would anyone want Captain Falcon in Smash Bros? All he does is drive around in a car that's too big, and I dunno what he'd actually do as a fighter."

"Why would anyone want Fox in Smash Bros? All he does is fly jets and tanks, I dunno what he'd actually do as a fighter."

"Why would anyone want Ice Climbers in Smash Bros? All they do is swing a hammer, I dunno what they'd actually do as fighters."

Oh wait all of these characters were put into Smash Bros anyways and have fantastic creative movesets. It's almost as if what specific actions the characters do in their games doesn't matter.

Ridley's main problem is that he's too damn big. And rescaling him smaller would just make him look odd.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's be fair here, Ridleys not the only fucker being screwed over. Neither Dixie or K Rool made the cut even though DKCR sold more than Skyward Sword.

I think the shooting could simply be another aspect of the move set and world. You'd have moves that involve the imaginary light gun player shooting at things in Hunt's line of sight. You'd also have just a world full of NES light gun game cliches for flavor.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By MocBucket62

They'll probably not reboot the franchise in anyway, but will probably put the characters from that game into different games. A Duck Hunt mini game in a new Nintendoland or having it in NES Remix 3 sounds likely as to what Nintendo would do. If they revived Duck Hunt, Kid Icarus Uprising style by making references to the old game but make something completely different, that would be pretty great. The more I think about it, the I feel like that Duck Hunt would have been Banjo-Kazooie if Nintendo had secretly bought the IP back from Microsoft. But DHD has moves that reference Wild Gunmen and Hogan's Alley so probably not.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

That dog looks goddamn delightful and I'll be interested in whatever they want to put him in.

@hailinel said:

@TechnoSyndrome said:

Ridley's main problem is that he's too damn big. And rescaling him smaller would just make him look odd.

I kinda understand the argument, but I don't think scale is quite as vital as you might think, particularly since almost every single Smash fighter has had their scale adjusted in some way or another (Olimaaaaar!).

Heck, Bowser is oftentimes as big as a house, or at least twice as big as Mario, but no one bats an eye about his size being more comparable to the other fighters. I feel like Ridley could get similar treatment without ruining his look.

He probably won't, though. Ahahaha~

hunterob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By hunterob

@hailinel said:

Actually, Kid Icarus: Uprising breaks from the NES and Game Boy games almost completely in its design. It's not a platformer, but a 3D action game with melee and shooting elements, and also has on-rails shooting stages. It feels completely unlike Kid Icarus, yet the characters, motifs, and references to the old games are all there, making everything familiar even though Uprising is conceptually a completely different game.

Well, even though it's no longer heavy in its platforming elements, there are still platforming sections. I feel like the on-rails shooting sections were a natural, well though out expansion from the last level in the original Kid Icarus (which basically becomes a side-scrolling shoot-em-up). You're still shooting at the same types of enemies. I feel like overall they did an excellent job of modernizing everything cool about those first games, control issues aside. Lord knows if they could pull off the same job with Duck Hunt, but it'd be interesting to see them try.

@themasterds said:

Let's be fair here, Ridleys not the only fucker being screwed over. Neither Dixie or K Rool made the cut even though DKCR sold more than Skyward Sword.

Dixie and King K. Rool weren't in DKCR. King K. Rool in particular increasingly seems like a character Nintendo wants to pretend never existed. A relic from the Rare era.

Well we are leaving out one important factor here. Ridley WAS rescaled in the first place, compared to what he originally looked like:

No Caption Provided

So they could just... do that again...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunterob: Well, Kraid was also about Samus's height in the original game, as well. No one really thinks of him as that size anymore, though.

Although it would be funny if Nintendo trolled the Ridley fans by including him as playable, but making him the derpy-looking NES sprite.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Hmm so does the "Duck Hunt Dog" wiki page need a name change then?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

Not necessarily. The character in Smash Bros. is actually a team of both the dog and a duck. The dog still doesn't have a proper name, as far as I'm aware.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@slag said:

His real name is listed as Hunt, and he is more widely known as Duck Hunt Dog. If they do end up making a new Duck Hunt with the dog named Hunt then there will be a reason to change it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

His real name is listed as Hunt, and he is more widely known as Duck Hunt Dog. If they do end up making a new Duck Hunt with the dog named Hunt then there will be a reason to change it.

Where is it listed as that?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Corevi
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That means nothing. Anyone could have added that. I mean, is there any source from Nintendo, or from Smash Bros., that indicates what the dog's name is?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Slag

@hailinel said:

@corruptedevil said:
    @slag said:

What is the actual source of the current (old?) name? Anybody know?

I feel like someone ought to ask Nintendo of America on twitter. I'm genuinely curious, afaik "Duck Hunt Dog" is at best an unofficial fan name. I don't remember him having any name what so ever in the Duck Hunt manual (I own a copy of game).

Wouldn't surprise me if his name was something like DuckHuntDog ShootaDucks going by recent revelations, hah! Still, not convinced that Yoshisaur Munchakoopas was meant to be serious, figure it was some PR dude goofin.

All told whatever his name is, I absolutely love the fact he (they?) and Megaman are in this iteration. Fantastic choices!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

@hailinel said:

@corruptedevil said:
    @slag said:

What is the actual source of the current (old?) name? Anybody know?

I feel like someone ought to ask Nintendo of America on twitter. I'm genuinely curious, afaik "Duck Hunt Dog" is at best an unofficial fan name. I don't remember him having any name what so ever in the Duck Hunt manual (I own a copy of game).

Wouldn't surprise me if his name was something like DuckHuntDog ShootaDucks going by recent revelations, hah! Still, not convinced that Yoshisaur Munchakoopas was meant to be serious, figure it was some PR dude goofin.

All told whatever his name is, I absolutely love the fact he (they?) and Megaman are in this iteration. Fantastic choices!

If anything, the dog is almost certainly represented in Smash Bros. in a trophy that might have information on what his name actually is, if he was ever given one. He's pretty much just "Duck Hunt Dog" in the wiki to distinguish him from other dogs. Even other wikis that are more Nintendo-centric just call him Duck Hunt Dog or Dog.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: You can probably check the history to see who added that. It was me. Probably shouldn't have done that but I would really like to use Banjo-Kazooie logic to infer the names of Duck and Hunt. They're billed as Duck Hunt like Banjo-Kazooie were billed as Banjo-Kazooie. Therefore they're Duck and Hunt!

By the way we might consider a page for Duck.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: You can probably check the history to see who added that. It was me. Probably shouldn't have done that but I would really like to use Banjo-Kazooie logic to infer the names of Duck and Hunt. They're billed as Duck Hunt like Banjo-Kazooie were billed as Banjo-Kazooie. Therefore they're Duck and Hunt!

By the way we might consider a page for Duck.

I understand the logic behind your argument, but I think we need official confirmation of the name from Nintendo (printed media, marketing materials etc) before doing that or making any changes to things like "real name".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.