Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

Putting Duke Nukem Forever's development cycle into perspective

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

Edited By Pepsiman

It's hardly a secret that 3D Realms had its own share of issues with getting Duke Nukem Forever out in a timely manner. In fact, there's a really good retrospective that sheds some pretty specific light on what made the game more or less twiddle its thumbs while waiting for a release date. Less often discussed, though, is what was going on elsewhere in both the industry and the world at large in that same span. That's where this site comes in, which, further down the page, compiles both a number of events that happened within the span of Duke Nukem Forever's developer and things throughout history that didn't take as long to accomplish. Here are some of my personal favorites from the list, which I find does a really good job at putting the debacle into perspective:

• All three Star Wars prequels were filmed, released in theaters, and put on DVD in the time it took Duke Nukem Forever to be announced and subsequently cancelled.
    • Since the announcement of Duke Nukem Forever Microsoft has released DirectX5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9.0c, 10, 10.1, and announced DirectX 11.
    • Every Nintendo system from the GameBoy Color to DS Lite was released within that period.
    • Team Fortress 2, another shooter which took a seeming eternity to come out, actually got unleashed on the masses.
    • WWII and the entirety of the Manhattan Project, which eventually produced the atomic bomb, took up less time than Duke Nukem Forever's lifespan.

How about your favorites from the list? It seems that now the Duke Nukem Forever project has been put to rest (at least for now), there's actually been a fairly large amount of interesting looks at it from different angles, even if some of them, like the one this very post on, is ultimately satirical.
    Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Pepsiman

It's hardly a secret that 3D Realms had its own share of issues with getting Duke Nukem Forever out in a timely manner. In fact, there's a really good retrospective that sheds some pretty specific light on what made the game more or less twiddle its thumbs while waiting for a release date. Less often discussed, though, is what was going on elsewhere in both the industry and the world at large in that same span. That's where this site comes in, which, further down the page, compiles both a number of events that happened within the span of Duke Nukem Forever's developer and things throughout history that didn't take as long to accomplish. Here are some of my personal favorites from the list, which I find does a really good job at putting the debacle into perspective:

• All three Star Wars prequels were filmed, released in theaters, and put on DVD in the time it took Duke Nukem Forever to be announced and subsequently cancelled.
    • Since the announcement of Duke Nukem Forever Microsoft has released DirectX5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9.0c, 10, 10.1, and announced DirectX 11.
    • Every Nintendo system from the GameBoy Color to DS Lite was released within that period.
    • Team Fortress 2, another shooter which took a seeming eternity to come out, actually got unleashed on the masses.
    • WWII and the entirety of the Manhattan Project, which eventually produced the atomic bomb, took up less time than Duke Nukem Forever's lifespan.

How about your favorites from the list? It seems that now the Duke Nukem Forever project has been put to rest (at least for now), there's actually been a fairly large amount of interesting looks at it from different angles, even if some of them, like the one this very post on, is ultimately satirical.
    Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Tiwi

I liked these  ones :

The entire Harry Potter series as well as five movies.
    The Wright brothers designed and flew the first airplane.
    The theory of General Relativity.
    The United States' entire program to put a man on the moon, from Kennedy's challenge to the landing. 

and:
     The concept of Bullet Time has been developed, pioneered, and completely run in to the ground.
    Every movie, animation, and video game from The Matrix series.   

I still to this day, think it all was a joke. DNF = did not finish., and i hate them for it

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Fallen189

Think about the engine cycle it went through aswell.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By bed

hehe this is really neat. thanks for the share ^^ 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah every iteration of the Unreal Engine existed within that time frame. 

Prey was made within that time (and that had an epic dev time as well, some were seeing it as a kinda DNF game, but it came out.). 

Half-LIfe 1 was programmed, came out, and then got realized as the LHC IRL within less time. If only 2K threw more money at 3D realms, then a resonance cascade would have happened before the duke got cancelled. 

Every need for speed game (there's like 10000 by now) after and including 2 came out in that time. 

Our whole culture became suddently concerned with national security after 9/11 and such.  

A whole war or terror happened in that time. 

America went from a president getting Bee-Jays being a big deal to the first black president being elected in that time. And don't forget that dude in between! 

Shittons of stuff happened in that time frame. Backstreet Boys weren't even popular when DNF was announced... and their popularity seems like forever ago.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

They had to switch the engine a few times didn't they?

I saw this list a while ago and the only thing that stuck with me was that Britney Spear's career spanned over DNF's development time.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Wow. That really puts it into perspective, although by 2002 I'm pretty sure everyone had stopped caring about Duke Nukem Forever as a game, and started caring about it as some sort of terrible running joke.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pepsiman
    @ArbitraryWater: True. At that point the game was more or less running off of smoke, fumes, and George Broussard's ever-changing ambitions. Well, that and the gobs and gobs of cash 3D Realms was sitting on, but I digress.
    Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Jedted

Don't know if this is a necro post but there's one more that i wanted to add.

From announcement of DNF to the disbanding of 3D Realms we saw the entire 10 year run of Stargate: SG-1 and it's spin-off Stargate: Atlantis. 
    CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By CptChiken

Approximately 509,373,306 people have died and 661,373,082 have been born.    

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is awesome.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By MrKlorox

STALKER and two standalone expansions came out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.