Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dungeon Siege III

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jun 17, 2011

Dungeon Siege 3 is the third instalment of the Dungeon Siege franchise. It tells the tale of the fallen 10th Legion taking back the Kingdom of Ehb from the popular Azunite champion Jeyne Kassynder.

Dungeon Siege 3: painful reality

Dizazter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dizazter

Just read through some early reviews of Dungeon Siege 3, and I've gone for very interested/optimistic to virtually zero interest.

I was really hoping it would be an awesome next gen throw back to the original that I enjoyed for hours on end.....

But I am NOT at all digging where it sounds like they're going with Dungeon Siege 3. They're really going the console-ified route, and making it "action Party RPG" which seem to be the rage these days. You don't make your own characters - you are assigned a group of 4 characters that will always be the same. (weak!) And it's coop is a secondary add on. A friend hosts, you join their storyline as a henchman. This game, like the original, should have been designed to be coop from the start, not designed as a single player game, with a coop option thrown in for fun. Boooo:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/23/dungeon-siege-3-preview/  
    http://www.co-optimus.com/article/5428/dungeon-siege-3-co-op-details-release-date-screenshots-and-video.html

For one thing, your party is made up of characters, not classes. Unlike the first game's freewheeling experience system, the second game did introduce abilities and classes, though DS3 abandons that idea for four named characters (only two, Lucas and Anjali, have actually been revealed so far), each of which have ability lists that cross over the various fantasy archetypes.

In the full release, you'll be able to manage a party of up to four heroes, either in a single-player game where you control all four characters, or with a group of three other people in co-op mode. Two players may share the screen locally, and you can bring in two more players online. The other players will serve as assistants to one main player, and no progress will be carried over to their game.

And so it's obviously a console to PC port, I always look forward to how buggy and clunky those are. (looking at you, Borderlands!)
    I feel like this consolification of all these games is just taking something good, and turning it into whatever is the latest Justin Bieber of the video game world, because that's what everyone else is doing, or at least what seems to sell for now, instead of just making a great game.
    Oh well....I guess it's back to biding my time till Diablo 3.

How do you guys feel about this news? Excited or disappointed?

Dizazter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Dizazter

Just read through some early reviews of Dungeon Siege 3, and I've gone for very interested/optimistic to virtually zero interest.

I was really hoping it would be an awesome next gen throw back to the original that I enjoyed for hours on end.....

But I am NOT at all digging where it sounds like they're going with Dungeon Siege 3. They're really going the console-ified route, and making it "action Party RPG" which seem to be the rage these days. You don't make your own characters - you are assigned a group of 4 characters that will always be the same. (weak!) And it's coop is a secondary add on. A friend hosts, you join their storyline as a henchman. This game, like the original, should have been designed to be coop from the start, not designed as a single player game, with a coop option thrown in for fun. Boooo:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/23/dungeon-siege-3-preview/  
    http://www.co-optimus.com/article/5428/dungeon-siege-3-co-op-details-release-date-screenshots-and-video.html

For one thing, your party is made up of characters, not classes. Unlike the first game's freewheeling experience system, the second game did introduce abilities and classes, though DS3 abandons that idea for four named characters (only two, Lucas and Anjali, have actually been revealed so far), each of which have ability lists that cross over the various fantasy archetypes.

In the full release, you'll be able to manage a party of up to four heroes, either in a single-player game where you control all four characters, or with a group of three other people in co-op mode. Two players may share the screen locally, and you can bring in two more players online. The other players will serve as assistants to one main player, and no progress will be carried over to their game.

And so it's obviously a console to PC port, I always look forward to how buggy and clunky those are. (looking at you, Borderlands!)
    I feel like this consolification of all these games is just taking something good, and turning it into whatever is the latest Justin Bieber of the video game world, because that's what everyone else is doing, or at least what seems to sell for now, instead of just making a great game.
    Oh well....I guess it's back to biding my time till Diablo 3.

How do you guys feel about this news? Excited or disappointed?

Lemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Lemi

Yeaaaah,

except 

1. There is charachter customization. In fact its not even possible to max out your charachter at all. They will not "always be the same". Furthermore these charachters are themselves classes. So there are 4 completly different classes.
    2.  The original Dungeon Siege wasn't designed as a co-op game. In fact the whole secondary MP map came later in development.
    3.  Your not "their henchman" You are equal (influence on dialog/story) and you can spec your charachters if you want. Or you can just join. Which means you can use your own charachter and for example make a game thats just for co-op.
    4. Nearly every previewer mentions how much better the PC Version looks. Also they make a seperate inteface for the PC Version. The game was actually co-developed on all three platforms together.

Nice trolling though.

Or it may just be that you didn't read any other previews. Check out the escapists one.

Dizazter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dizazter
    @Lemi: 

Yeah.......not sure how starting a thread and looking for opinions is trolling. Although making snarky comments to illicit an argument on someone else's thread definitely could be construed as such....*AHEM*

I just read the escapist one, and although it is more positive, and says that it's a multiplayer focused game, it still shows the same features in place which are things I have little interest in. 

I do not remember Dungeon Siege 1 having a separate MP map of any kind, but its been a lot of years since I played it, and I don't have it any more to check.
    But yeah I didn't say there wasn't customization, I said you couldn't create your own character - but you are stuck  with the pre-created  names and skins you're given. But yeah the concept of me bringing my pre-existing character template and dropping it into someone else's game to substitute their pre-existing character with the same name, just doesn't appeal to me at all.   

I would hope the PC version  "looks" better (all PC games should, considering they have had the last few years of hardware progression that consoles haven't), and hopefully it will be less prone to bugs if it's co-developed on all platforms at the same time instead of porting.

It sounds a lot like if you took Borderlands and made it so you always had 4 different character types in play at all times, and if someone wanted to join your game they'd have to take the role of one of the available characters. I would have had zero interest in Borderlands if it was done this way. I guess they're going very story-centric (as opposed to loot/progression centric) with the game, and as such, requiring all of the 4 characters to be in place at the same time, and that just isn't my thing. I feel like it will kill the replayablity, because after you're sick of the story, you're sick of the game.
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By ch3burashka

I'm with you. Never finished the first due to it being hella buggy, but I enjoyed what I played. Everything revealed about DS3 so far makes it seem like a Fable-esque third-person adventure game, what with the much-more zoomed-in view and other such aspects. It could be a great game, but it won't be a great DS game.

Dizazter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dizazter
    @CH3BURASHKA: 

Well said. You know I was looking at some video footage and screenshots of the game and they don't really show a party in most of it. I mean sometimes you'll see what looks like a group fighting together, but in all the videos they just show one person running around. I wonder what is up with that? But yeah I agree, I feel like they're changing genres on us. And I guess that's good news for people who like Action RPGs, but for fans of the original, abandoning the hack n slash loot & level game will lose the developers many of those fans.
    Lemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lemi
    @Dizazter said:

" @Lemi:     Yeah.......not sure how starting a thread and looking for opinions is trolling. Although making snarky comments to illicit an argument on someone else's thread definitely could be construed as such....*AHEM*   I just read the escapist one, and although it is more positive, and says that it's a multiplayer focused game, it still shows the same features in place which are things I have little interest in.  I do not remember Dungeon Siege 1 having a separate MP map of any kind, but its been a lot of years since I played it, and I don't have it any more to check. But yeah I didn't say there wasn't customization, I said you couldn't create your own character - but you are stuck  with the pre-created  names and skins you're given. But yeah the concept of me bringing my pre-existing character template and dropping it into someone else's game to substitute their pre-existing character with the same name, just doesn't appeal to me at all.      I would hope the PC version  "looks" better (all PC games should, considering they have had the last few years of hardware progression that consoles haven't), and hopefully it will be less prone to bugs if it's co-developed on all platforms at the same time instead of porting.It sounds a lot like if you took Borderlands and made it so you always had 4 different character types in play at all times, and if someone wanted to join your game they'd have to take the role of one of the available characters. I would have had zero interest in Borderlands if it was done this way. I guess they're going very story-centric (as opposed to loot/progression centric) with the game, and as such, requiring all of the 4 characters to be in place at the same time, and that just isn't my thing. I feel like it will kill the replayablity, because after you're sick of the story, you're sick of the game. "

Yeah, you know. Making statements that contradict facts is pretty close to trolling.

Also wrong again. You still join with your own charachter. In fact, it doesn't matter if said charachter/class isn't in the party or wasn't even picked up at all. The Boarderlands comparison makes no sense.
    Dizazter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dizazter
    @Lemi said:

" @Dizazter said: 

Yeah, you know. Making statements that contradict facts is pretty close to trolling.  Also wrong again. You still join with your own charachter. In fact, it doesn't matter if said charachter/class isn't in the party or wasn't even picked up at all. The Boarderlands comparison makes no sense. "

People just making incorrect statements does mean anything like trolling, you understand that right? Trolling is posting inflammatory statement (true or not) on someone else's thread to get a desired reaction, generally an argument or flame war. So I just ask that you take a closer look at your own actions before pointing fingers, please.

It sounds like you misunderstood what I said. I never said you couldn't join with your own character, I specifically said you could. So I'll try and clarify. Say my character is "Lucas the Warrior" and I want to join a DS3 game where another player is already playing "Lucas the Warrior". I won't be able to join that game, unless the other player switches to different character, as I understand it. Is that what you're saying, that DS3 allows duplicate, redundant characters in a multiplayer game, because from what I've read, I highly doubt that.

Sorry if my Borderlands comparison didn't make sense to you. I was using it as an example, as it is a 4 player action coop game, with 4 character "types" like DS3 has. But DS3 has a more limited multiplayer as it always has to maintain the 4 specific characters at all times. Where as Borderlands you could always have a mix. 

But none of these details change the fact that they've completely altered the game type and structure.  For me, they've changed it away from what I liked into something I don't really like, which I feel like I'm already seeing too much of already hitting the market. If it's something you dig, great! But it's not really my thing, so I'm disappointed at most of the news I've heard on this game.
    xiaolinstyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xiaolinstyle

Not trolling but actually you are BOTH wrong.  

NO data will be imported from your game to another persons. ALL data is saved to host. You will NEVER bring your character to your friends game and visa versa.  

Now wether or not this is a huge effing retard move on Obsidian's part is another discussion.
    Dizazter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dizazter

@xiaolinstyle:

That is horrendous.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.