Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dungeons of Dredmor

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jul 13, 2011

Explore the dangerous diggle-infested dungeons of Lord Dredmor in this comical, graphical roguelike RPG. Just don't smell of fear and lutefisk.

Dungeons of Dredmor: Long-awaited new roguelike now on Steam

Egge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By Egge

There's been quite a bit of talk about Dungeons of Dredmor in indie RPG circles during the past year or so (yes, the name is "Dredmor", not Dreadmore or Dredmoor), and now this cartoonish roguelike has finally been released for the surprisingly low price of around € 5 (on Steam).

The actual gameplay is highly reminiscent of most modern loot-heavy dungeon crawlers like Diablo and Torchlight, but retains the classic roguelike conventions of turn-based gameplay (i.e. nothing happens if the player doesn't make a move) combined with grid-based movement in cardinal directions only. The skill system lets the player choose freely from a list of abilities which then effectively becomes a custom-made class and determines the available progression paths during level-ups. Even the first few screens in the game are absolutely littered with loot, and luckily the item descriptions are often well-written and funny, in a Fallout sort of way. Basic melee combat consists of a whole lot of clicking and kiting, as is par for the course in this genre. I've yet to try out the magic system but my first impression of the game is that it's got a distinctive visual style and charming personality which could make it stand out even in this crowded genre. Dredmor's appeal might be interestingly diverse, too, given its rather accessible, casual-esque looks and decidedly old school roots (although the same could of course be said for many similar games, especially those currently available on various iThingies).

Buy Dungeons of Dredmor here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/98800/

Developers official website:

http://www.gaslampgames.com

Egge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Egge

There's been quite a bit of talk about Dungeons of Dredmor in indie RPG circles during the past year or so (yes, the name is "Dredmor", not Dreadmore or Dredmoor), and now this cartoonish roguelike has finally been released for the surprisingly low price of around € 5 (on Steam).

The actual gameplay is highly reminiscent of most modern loot-heavy dungeon crawlers like Diablo and Torchlight, but retains the classic roguelike conventions of turn-based gameplay (i.e. nothing happens if the player doesn't make a move) combined with grid-based movement in cardinal directions only. The skill system lets the player choose freely from a list of abilities which then effectively becomes a custom-made class and determines the available progression paths during level-ups. Even the first few screens in the game are absolutely littered with loot, and luckily the item descriptions are often well-written and funny, in a Fallout sort of way. Basic melee combat consists of a whole lot of clicking and kiting, as is par for the course in this genre. I've yet to try out the magic system but my first impression of the game is that it's got a distinctive visual style and charming personality which could make it stand out even in this crowded genre. Dredmor's appeal might be interestingly diverse, too, given its rather accessible, casual-esque looks and decidedly old school roots (although the same could of course be said for many similar games, especially those currently available on various iThingies).

Buy Dungeons of Dredmor here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/98800/

Developers official website:

http://www.gaslampgames.com

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm definitely considering picking this up; I've always had an interest in roguelikes and this game seems like it's both fun and funny.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Ghostiet

Screw roguelikes, the ultimate one is obviously Doom RL.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder
    @Ghostiet said:
    Screw roguelikes, the ultimate one is obviously Doom RL.
    I love DoomRL, it's one of the few Roguelikes I've been able to really get into =D
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By onarum

I can't say no to roguelikes, my DS is pretty much a Powder machine at this point.

Going to get this for sure.

Hauntedsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Hauntedsoul

Only heard of this game today and I'm glad I found it.
    Great fun for any RPG fan and a steal at the price it is sold.

reddin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By reddin

I saw this when I was buying Cthulhu Saves the World. Hadn't heard anything about it, so decided I'd pick it up next time I wanted to play a roguelike. Which might be sooner than I expected given all the good things I hear about it.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gargantuan

Looks fun. Bought it! :D

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By onarum

Just got it, and not liking it very much... the music is terrible, it has an art style that seems it can decide what it want's to be and apparently it seems the appearance of your character doesn't change depending on your gear.... that's usually what breaks a game like this for me...

So yeah, not very impressed so far, at least it was just 4,50.....

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

This is a roguelike? Shit, now I've got to buy it. Angband's still installed on my pc, though....so, maybe I don't? 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.