Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dungeons of Dredmor

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jul 13, 2011

Explore the dangerous diggle-infested dungeons of Lord Dredmor in this comical, graphical roguelike RPG. Just don't smell of fear and lutefisk.

Handsome, Roguelike Qualities

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Rasgueado

Good Afternoon!

I popped on to STEAM earlier this week and saw a big splash on the front scroll about this game I'd never heard of before called Dungeons of Dredmor. I looked at the trailer, and was a bit confused by what I saw. From the footage in the trailer it looked a bit clunky, stiff, and repetitive. It was really cheap, but because of that tiny low-res video, I let it slide. Since that day, I've seen several people I know talk a lot about that game, and in those discussion they said the word that would have made me look a bit closer... that word of course being, roguelike.

It's still plenty cheap, so I went back and picked it up from STEAM, and while I've barely scratched into the surface of the game, I was really pleasantly surprised. There are lots of skills, options, magic, and crafting abilities stuffed into a game with nice looking hand drawn sprites. It also has a nice sense of humor to it, and its sprinkled through all the text outputs in the game.

If this sounds interesting... step on over the website and have a look (http://www.dungeonsofdredmor.com/). It's been a few years since I played anything like this... and I kinda like the idea of a dungeon crawler challenging me again with the notion of perma-death. What about you? Anyone else have a hankering for this style of game?

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By buft

I do enjoy those types of games, definetly going to check it out once i get some cash in my steam account. seen it on the main page today and had a brief look.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By onarum

I didn't liked it very much, the music is just terrible imo.

edit: Also I do love me some roguelikes, My DS is pretty much almost a dedicated powder(awesome homebrew roguelike) machine these days, I also played a lot of net hack, and of course the more mainstream renditions (diablo, diablo 2, shiren the wanderer).

But I don't know why dungeons of dreadmor just don't do it for me.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By kingzetta

So Nathan Drake is in the game?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm interested in picking this up, but I think the main thing holding me back is the graphics =| Maybe I'll wait until there's an even bigger discount. 

I just wish there were more 2D games that looked like this :(

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rasgueado

@BeachThunder: In all honestly I wasn't sure about the look until I loaded it up. It's not going to break any major ground for a high art implementation, but I think the general look is alright and is at least evocative in some manner of the ascii beginnings of this style of game.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SSully
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By onarum

My main problem with the graphics is that the environment and characters don't quite match somehow... can't explain it, it's like the environments are a more realistic attempt while all the characters have a highly cartoony look to them.

Also the appearance of your dude never changes, no matter what gear you equip, that's a huge bummer imo.

there's a part in the tutorial where you equip this traffic cone as a helmet, which has a potential of being really funny having a dude with a traffic cone in his head fighting monster in some dungeon, but you have to use your imagination because your guy stays the same generic looking dude with a leather vest the entire time, so I'm guessing you can have full plate armor equipped and he will still look the same... I understand that it would mean a whole lot more work for the artist, having to draw all different parts, but that is something that is expect this day and age with loot oriented games like this.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BeachThunder
    @SSully said:

@BeachThunder: Have you ever played Machinarium

Indeed. I'm also considering picking up The Tiny Bang Story, since that looks like another game with nice looking 2D graphics :o
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By onarum
    @BeachThunder said:
    @SSully said:

Indeed. I'm also considering picking up The Tiny Bang Story, since that looks like another game with nice looking 2D graphics :o
    The main reason why roguelikes will never look as good as machinarium, for example, is because they need to be tile based in order for it to be possible to build the dungeons dynamically, they can't be fully hand drawn.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BeachThunder
    @onarum said:
    @BeachThunder said:
    @SSully said:

The main reason why roguelikes will never look as good as machinarium, for example, is because they need to be tile based in order for it to be possible to build the dungeons dynamically, they can't be fully hand drawn.
    Well, the game doesn't necessarily need to be all hand drawn. I'd rather look at some good pixel art than Dredmor's current graphics.
    Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rasgueado

@onarum said:

My main problem with the graphics is that the environment and characters don't quite match somehow... can't explain it, it's like the environments are a more realistic attempt while all the characters have a highly cartoony look to them. Also the appearance of your dude never changes, no matter what gear you equip, that's a huge bummer imo. there's a part in the tutorial where you equip this traffic cone as a helmet, which has a potential of being really funny having a dude with a traffic cone in his head fighting monster in some dungeon, but you have to use your imagination because your guy stays the same generic looking dude with a leather vest the entire time, so I'm guessing you can have full plate armor equipped and he will still look the same... I understand that it would mean a whole lot more work for the artist, having to draw all different parts, but that is something that is expect this day and age with loot oriented games like this.

I suppose... in Torchlight your character gets a slightly different look based on the type of armor that you pick up. In all honesty however... I didn't ever really notice the change in the way my character looked as I was always updating equipment and I was zoomed out most of the time.

I see where you're coming from for sure, but when it comes down to the style of game... especially since you're going to die and start over again a *lot* in this game... it doesn't really bother me.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BeachThunder

>_> Well, I just picked this up; I couldn't resist...

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rasgueado

@BeachThunder: I've already spent a lot more time with it than I have with Ms. Splosion Man so far... and I really like Ms. Splosion Man.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BeachThunder
    @Rasgueado said:

@BeachThunder: I've already spent a lot more time with it than I have with Ms. Splosion Man so far... and I really like Ms. Splosion Man.

Well, so far I've played 4 hours and died 3 times (not in including the time I died during the tutorial <_<)

I just wish the game was better designed and made it clearer about what things do what. Luckily it seems like the developers are continuing to work on it.

Have you come across any good character builds? So far, I've just been picking skills more or less at random.
    Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rasgueado

@BeachThunder said:

@Rasgueado said:

Well, so far I've played 4 hours and died 3 times (not in including the time I died during the tutorial <_<) I just wish the game was better designed and made it clearer about what things do what. Luckily it seems like the developers are continuing to work on it. Have you come across any good character builds? So far, I've just been picking skills more or less at random.

There are some basic mechanics I think that could use slightly better explanation, but at the same time, discovering how things work on multiple playthroughs is part of the style.

I haven't really settled on a great build yet... but I'm finding the combination of Mathmagician and Promethian magic fairly useful so far. I don't know that I would max out the Mathmagician line... but so far on the 5th floor there is a spell that turns enemies into gold that is pretty effective, but only affects a single enemy, and sucks on your mana reserves pretty hard.

delorean99947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By delorean99947
    @BeachThunder: Bigger discount? It's $4. Gonna wait until it's $2.(Sarcasm) I actually like the graphical style.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.