Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dust 514

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released May 14, 2013

DUST 514 was a free-to-play, persistent-world online competitive shooter focused on intense infantry combat augmented by powerful vehicles. It was set in and directly connected to the thriving player driven MMO universe of EVE Online.

Dust 514 comes out today!

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Totori

If you want to pay for it. When the PSN Store updates today, there will be something called the Merc Pack for 20 dollars. If you buy it you'll get to play Dust 514 today with 20 bucks of in-game currency. Dust 514 officially comes out for free in the end of July.

KelpPlankton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KelpPlankton

This is a pretty good deal for anyone expecting to spend money on the game anyway, since you're basically getting early access for free with a $20 in-game currency purchase.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Totori
    @KelpPlankton said:

This is a pretty good deal for anyone expecting to spend money on the game anyway, since you're basically getting early access for free with a $20 in-game currency purchase.

Yeah I'm probably going to buy it.
    andriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By andriv

@KelpPlankton: @Totori: are you two eve players?

does this game have any relevance to anyone not playing Eve?

KelpPlankton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KelpPlankton

I've never touched EVE. This still looks like it could be a fun shooter though, and the potential for interacting with players in another game seems really cool to me. Plus, free to play. Not planning on dropping the $20 on it for early access though, myself.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Totori
    @andriv said:

@KelpPlankton: @Totori: are you two eve players?

does this game have any relevance to anyone not playing Eve?

Nope I've never played eve. I'm interested just because they say there is a lot more to it then a standard FPS.
    Soffish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Soffish

Doesn't the beta start on Thursday?

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By alternate

Supposed to be the same universe but the games are not linked and very different gameplay.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AngelN7

Will they open the Beta at some point? I would like to try that.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Totori
    @AngelN7 said:

yeah it's going to be a free game at the end of july.
    andriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By andriv

@Totori: ok, same here. Will probably give dust a try, since isk is my actual currency.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Nentisys

as an eve player I have to say you don't need to know anything about eve to enjoy dust514.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AngelN7

@Totori said:

@AngelN7 said:

yeah it's going to be a free game at the end of july.

Oh nice is fairly close , I don't mind not getting into the beta then.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Ravenlight

Okay, but how much are monocles?

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By Sooperspy

I haven't seen anything on this game but it sounds cool from what I've heard. I'll give it a try when it comes out for free.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Bollard

Wow I didn't know it was coming out so soon! I'll be interested to see how it turns out. Still want to buy EVE damnit.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SomeJerk

EVE to me is like building my own modular synthesizer. I can get into it, I can learn it, but once I'm there hovering the pointer over the Purchase button..
    ..I come to my senses and realize time's better spent doing something else.

Dust 514 on the other hand, will be a good alternative to the quickly dying poorly managed Tribes Ascend that's fallen into the (bad) F2P trap.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Jams

@SomeJerk said:

EVE to me is like building my own modular synthesizer. I can get into it, I can learn it, but once I'm there hovering the pointer over the Purchase button.. ..I come to my senses and realize time's better spent doing something else. Dust 514 on the other hand, will be a good alternative to the quickly dying poorly managed Tribes Ascend that's fallen into the (bad) F2P trap.

Tribes really did turn into a crap F2P pretty fast. I think I'll give this game a go. As long as people who pay the most aren't one shot murder machines then it should be a cool game that links to EvE.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Barrock

@SomeJerk said:

EVE to me is like building my own modular synthesizer. I can get into it, I can learn it, but once I'm there hovering the pointer over the Purchase button.. ..I come to my senses and realize time's better spent doing something else. Dust 514 on the other hand, will be a good alternative to the quickly dying poorly managed Tribes Ascend that's fallen into the (bad) F2P trap.

Ouch what happened? I thought people were raving about Tribes?

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By beargirl1

@alternate said:

Supposed to be the same universe but the games are not linked and very different gameplay.

really? i thought the changes in EVE's world and economy would take effect in Dust as well.

also, 514 is totally my phone number's area code. aww yea.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SomeJerk
    @Barrock said:

@SomeJerk said:

Ouch what happened? I thought people were raving about Tribes?

When it's good it's great. HiRez have one good thing going for them with Ascend and that is that their Pay-model works very well, what's working against them is that the incoming money isn't telling them about the problems the game has. Such as bullet weapons melting the heaviest tank player faster than any other weapon but a direct heavy mortar hit, CTF being all about pathfinders going fast and impossible to chase despite broken bullet weapons, lacking matchmaking, ratings, rankings, and teams gettng randomized before every round.

They also show signs of not being that experienced in the field, they put out nicely working products for sure but they clearly do not have anybody in the vincinity of a maths degree among them with how many simple things are broken and their source code has no comments and every other week people discover a client-side variable that can be modified for an illegal (in the game rules) advantage. When it's great it's great though.

Just like APB, which I swear is still great when it's great and nothing is unfair with or without broken weapons or broken mission locations and objectives. For both of these games, the great times happen less and less. If I'm lucky at any time the enemy team only has one chaingun using guy in Ascend, and that's often enough to make an approach or even close combat impossible for anybody.

/dusts off PS3!
    valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By valiantgrizzly

@alternate said:

Everything I've read about it says that the games will have an impact on each other. Such as Dust 514 players completing 'contracts' for EVE players, etc..

It's tickling my interest.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

This doesn't actually seem to be out yet. I've already downloaded update 4.20 and it's not anywhere in the store. I am pretty interested in trying this game out though, and $20 isn't really asking too much for guaranteed early access plus some extras.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By inkerman

@alternate said:

The games are linked (although I don't know about for the beta or early release). Dust players can be hired by EVE players to do missions for them, and battlefields in Dust will take place on planets that may have player built planetary infrastructure, therefore threatening the EVE player's money making capabilities. You can hypothetically go it alone in Dust, but that's not really the point.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By Renahzor

@alternate: The 2 games are linked, and interactive with one another. I'm betting there will be "unranked" dust matches as well for jump in and shoot stuff gameplay, but the real dust experience should eventually be running contracts for EVE corporations to disable or destroy opponents planetary resources. EVE is even implementing special classes of ships to help with orbital bombardment (discussed in a recent devblog as a possibility for new destroyer class ships). Not all of this will be implemented on launch, it should take some time to deploy everything and interaction between the EVE and DUST players should increase as time goes on.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#26  Edited By MightyDuck

I really want to give this game a look. Part of me really hopes it's more of a futuristic MAG-style game with large maps and a variety of objectives.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Totori
    @OneKillWonder_ said:
    This doesn't actually seem to be out yet. I've already downloaded update 4.20 and it's not anywhere in the store. I am pretty interested in trying this game out though, and $20 isn't really asking too much for guaranteed early access plus some extras.
    The store does not update till like 8 PM. Do we have to go through this every god damn time there is something on the PSN store?
    KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe
    @Totori said:
    @OneKillWonder_ said:
    The store does not update till like 8 PM. Do we have to go through this every god damn time there is something on the PSN store?
    I don't know, pal, do we? I've only owned a PS3 for a few weeks so I'm not overly familiar with how PSN updates.
    Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Totori
    @OneKillWonder_ said:
    @Totori said:
    @OneKillWonder_ said:
    I don't know, pal, do we? I've only owned a PS3 for a few weeks so I'm not overly familiar with how PSN updates.
    It happens ever single fucking time people are expecting something on PSN. When Journey was coming out there was hours and hours of people bitching asking what was wrong with PSN because they could not find Journey. The problem was it was not 8 PM yet, and that's was like 20th that's happened.
    gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gkhan

So, I bought it, and apparently the servers are only up between Friday and Monday. That was a pretty big bummer.

LokiHavok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LokiHavok

Only reason this is good new is that maybe the World of Darkness MMO can get back on track...

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Devil240Z

I think I am going to wait for the free version. I'm interested but n

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Devil240Z
    @Devil240Z
    I think I am going to wait for the free version. I'm interested but n
    Ot fully on board. Damn mobile site don't have an edit button.
    mitsuko_souma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mitsuko_souma

I know absolutely nothing about EVE but am very interested in this game. I will wait for the free version though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan said:

So, I bought it, and apparently the servers are only up between Friday and Monday. That was a pretty big bummer.

Glad I managed to convince myself to just wait for the proper release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.