Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dust 514

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released May 14, 2013

DUST 514 was a free-to-play, persistent-world online competitive shooter focused on intense infantry combat augmented by powerful vehicles. It was set in and directly connected to the thriving player driven MMO universe of EVE Online.

First trailer of the Eve Online FPS/strategy game

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By Forcen

Found this video on Destructiod, at first there is a trailer for the upcoming FPS Dust 514, then there is a presentation of how the gameplay will work, and how it will tie together with Eve Online
    I am so exited by the mere fact that there is a FPS that takes place in the Eve Universe in development, i am also curious how the connect FPS with the MMO-thing will work out.

Here is a pressrelease with some more info:

Cologne, GERMANY, Game Developers Conference Europe – August 18, 2009 – CCP today revealed DUST514™, a console-based hybrid MMO/FPS set within the EVE universe. The announcement, which included a video featuring gameplay footage, was made during a keynote address by CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Petursson at the Game Developers Conference in Cologne, Germany.

DUST514, featuring first-person shooter and RTS-style gameplay, will interact directly with EVE Online, CCP’s critically acclaimed flagship MMO. This interplay between the two games opens the EVE universe to console gamers and gives them a chance to become part of one of the most massive cooperative play and social experiences ever.

“We launched EVE Online in 2003 and have experienced steady annual growth– a fact we appreciate as a rarity in the world of MMOs, especially given the global economy of the past year,” said Petursson. “Our success with EVE Online has afforded us the highest caliber global design and production talent in gaming. With a team of the best minds in the industry, we conceived an ambitious new take on virtual world development with DUST514.”

The primary gameplay of DUST514 features brutal ground combat that takes place on the surface of planets from EVE, delivering the visceral, adrenaline-fueled experience of futuristic firefights. Developed for the current generation of consoles, DUST514 combines equal parts battlefield reflexes and strategic planning, giving commanders and ground infantry real-time configurable weapons and modular vehicles to manage dynamic battlefield conditions.

Now entering its third year of production, DUST514 is the primary development focus of CCP’s Shanghai studio. The team includes veteran designers of EVE Online and experienced talent from various sectors of the video game industry.

“Since opening our Shanghai studio, we have invested in building a team that wants to push the envelope in gaming and be pioneers in the industry,” said Kjartan Pierre Emilsson, Managing Director of CCP Shanghai. “Having led the design and development efforts of the project from start to finish, our studio is honored to call DUST514 our first title release.
    nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By nixium

This could be very very cool, if they take the same approach and just let the players kinda do as they want.

I hope we can raid space ships. That would be rad.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zyn

Looks awesome.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Forcen
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Driadon

Hah, this site has a couple gameplay videos. 

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By DCFGS3

While EVE doesn't interest me terribly, I don't like the gameplay, it's Universe and the story behind it is extensive, and so this shooter has got some real grounding. The link between the two is also an interesting dynamic, but from what I understand this will still play like a usual FPS such as CoD, or perhaps more like Halo.

It's a shame nobody has ever really taken on the challenge of creating an FPS MMORPG.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Time_Lord

Eve just seems to daunting to me i have a mate who plays this game religious for the last 4 years.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Driadon
    @DCFGS3 said:
    " While EVE doesn't interest me terribly, I don't like the gameplay, it's Universe and the story behind it is extensive, and so this shooter has got some real grounding. The link between the two is also an interesting dynamic, but from what I understand this will still play like a usual FPS such as CoD, or perhaps more like Halo.  It's a shame nobody has ever really taken on the challenge of creating an FPS MMORPG. "
    Look into Planetside. It was an FPS MMO that did things rather well.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Andorski

The video reminds me of Killzone from a art design perspective, which is a good thing.  I still don't understand why they have to have Eve Online directly affect this game though.  It's pretty cool from a technical perspective, but how does that benefit players for either game?

Nonethewiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nonethewiser

will there be an inventory?

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Forcen
    @Nonethewiser said:
    " will there be an inventory? "
    There will be loadouts i think.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Pie
    @Andorski said:
    " The video reminds me of Killzone from a art design perspective, which is a good thing.  I still don't understand why they have to have Eve Online directly affect this game though.  It's pretty cool from a technical perspective, but how does that benefit players for either game? "
    I think there saying stuff like how a buisness in EVE online can fund a big mercanary force and equip them with better gear and then they can actually fight battles which will have an effect on EVE or something like that
    Nonethewiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nonethewiser
    @Forcen:
    Ya that's kind of what I was afraid of. I think this game looks sweet but instead of it being an MMORPG it seems to be an fps located in an MMO itself. It's hard to say this early, but I'm not getting the feeling that their is a strong sense of character building outside of the ties to EVE on line members which give you supplies. I would love a skill tree, stats, an inventory (things which make your dude persistent autonomously). It's hard to say this early though. Even still this looks exciting, and a good way to bring the "MMO" to the console.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.