I'm in the beta. Ask me ALMOST anything

  • 58 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for solh0und
#1 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -

So I've managed to snag a code from the PS Home promo and been playing this a little over 3 hours so I will try my best to answer some of your Q's.

Avatar image for mitsuko_souma
#2 Posted by mitsuko_souma (138 posts) -

how is the gameplay? looks kinda "meh" in the trailers.

Avatar image for solh0und
#3 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -
@mitsuko_souma said:

how is the gameplay? looks kinda "meh" in the trailers.

That's basically how it is. Triangle makes you crouch instead of clicking in R3 or pressing circle. It's kinda awkward to press that to crouch. Also,melee seems kinda slugglish.
Avatar image for akyho
#4 Posted by Akyho (2128 posts) -

Isnt there like the usual "None Disclosure" Agreement thing?

Avatar image for solh0und
#5 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -
@Akyho said:

Isnt there like the usual "None Disclosure" Agreement thing?

Most of the time, people usually blab about it anyway. I do know however that I cant do something like.....record footage of the game.
Avatar image for jakob187
#6 Posted by jakob187 (22940 posts) -

Sorry. If it's not flat-out "Ask Me Anything", then I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Avatar image for thedj93
#7 Posted by thedj93 (1260 posts) -

did you buy a tank yet?

Avatar image for solh0und
#8 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

Sorry. If it's not flat-out "Ask Me Anything", then I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Don't worry,man. If there was a ton of things in the beta, I wouldn't have said almost. :(
Avatar image for mightyduck
#9 Posted by MightyDuck (1866 posts) -

@Solh0und: Did you play any of MAG? How would you compare it with the objective based gameplay? I keep getting a bit of a MAG vibe from what I've seen of the game. I'm not complaining by any means, as I really enjoyed the game.

Avatar image for solh0und
#10 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -
@thedj93 said:

did you buy a tank yet?

Not yet. On that note, I haven't seen anyone use one yet. Mostly it's been the "warthog" with turrent so far.
Avatar image for hero_swe
#11 Posted by Hero_Swe (1307 posts) -

Why isn't it for PC?

Avatar image for solh0und
#12 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -
@MightyDuck said:

@Solh0und: Did you play any of MAG? How would you compare it with the objective based gameplay? I keep getting a bit of a MAG vibe from what I've seen of the game. I'm not complaining by any means, as I really enjoyed the game.

I have in fact. I threw a few dozen hours into that game myself. It's basically the same formula of taking over objectives and progressing throughout the map. I will say this: The hit marker is very reminiscent of MAG. 
Avatar image for solh0und
#13 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -
@Hero_Swe said:

Why isn't it for PC?

Maybe CCP wants PC and PS3 players to be buddies somehow? Besides, PC gets Planetside 2
Avatar image for thedj93
#14 Posted by thedj93 (1260 posts) -

So how long does it take to start buying awesome stuff that makes other stuff blow up?

Avatar image for mightyduck
#15 Posted by MightyDuck (1866 posts) -

@Solh0und: I think I may have to take a look at it when it comes out then. Are the maps or map that you're allowed to play on fairly big where your progress from section to section or are they smaller more close quarters, etc.?

Avatar image for solh0und
#16 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -
@thedj93 said:

So how long does it take to start buying awesome stuff that makes other stuff blow up?

Oddly enough, this game has that F2P mmo shooter curse of single use weapons you can buy. While you can buy a new assault rifle, it's only available for one respawn. My prediction is they may sell permanent weapons via microtransactions.
Avatar image for solh0und
#17 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -
@MightyDuck said:

@Solh0und: I think I may have to take a look at it when it comes out then. Are the maps or map that you're allowed to play on fairly big where your progress from section to section or are they smaller more close quarters, etc.?

I personally compare the size of this beta map to one of BF3's maps which is Kharg Island. It's pretty big for the objective mode and smaller for the TDM.
Avatar image for nadafinga
#18 Posted by Nadafinga (1040 posts) -

any interaction with mmo stuff with the beta?

Avatar image for thedj93
#19 Posted by thedj93 (1260 posts) -

@Solh0und said:

Oddly enough, this game has that F2P mmo shooter curse of single use weapons you can buy. While you can buy a new assault rifle, it's only available for one respawn. My prediction is they may sell permanent weapons via microtransactions.

Oh wow! i thought the single-use mechanics only applied to big purchases, infrastructure and tanks. that it applies for every weapon ever is crazy. reminds me of like a really long winded version of counter strike or something. except it has vehicles and the shooting doesnt feel top-notch and the maps are much bigger. so i guess it's nothing like counter-strike :P

umm... are the graphics nice?

Avatar image for solh0und
#20 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -
@Nadafinga said:

any interaction with mmo stuff with the beta?

Not that I've seen yet. I think they'll save that for the next beta phase.
Avatar image for solh0und
#21 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -
@thedj93 said:

@Solh0und said:

Oddly enough, this game has that F2P mmo shooter curse of single use weapons you can buy. While you can buy a new assault rifle, it's only available for one respawn. My prediction is they may sell permanent weapons via microtransactions.

Oh wow! i thought the single-use mechanics only applied to big purchases, infrastructure and tanks. that it applies for every weapon ever is crazy. reminds me of like a really long winded version of counter strike or something. except it has vehicles and the shooting doesnt feel top-notch and the maps are much bigger. so i guess it's nothing like counter-strike :P

umm... are the graphics nice?

Visual wise: It reminds me of MAG. then again, this is a F2P MMO shooter so I'm not expecting alot.  
 
It runs on the Unreal Engine so expect texture pop-in.
Avatar image for subjugation
#22 Posted by Subjugation (4975 posts) -

@Solh0und said:

@Hero_Swe said:

Why isn't it for PC?

Besides, PC gets Planetside 2

Game. Set. Match.

Hooah.

Avatar image for portis
#23 Posted by Portis (1295 posts) -

@Solh0und said:

@MightyDuck said:

@Solh0und: Did you play any of MAG? How would you compare it with the objective based gameplay? I keep getting a bit of a MAG vibe from what I've seen of the game. I'm not complaining by any means, as I really enjoyed the game.

I have in fact. I threw a few dozen hours into that game myself. It's basically the same formula of taking over objectives and progressing throughout the map. I will say this: The hit marker is very reminiscent of MAG.

Well, you've damn near sold me on Dust 514 with that post.

I played nearly 200 hours of MAG and would love to play another shooter in that same vein, so this seems promising to me. Doesn't have to be just like MAG for me to play it...just sort of like it. :P

Avatar image for mightyduck
#24 Posted by MightyDuck (1866 posts) -

@Portis: I definitely agree with you on this. I was really hoping Battlefield 3 would fill that niche for me, and while I don't argue that it's a good game...MAG has still been my most enjoyable multiplayer experience this gen. Here's to DUST 514!

Avatar image for sackmanjones
#25 Posted by Sackmanjones (5584 posts) -

Wait? The game is going to be free?

Avatar image for solh0und
#26 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -
@Sackmanjones said:
Wait? The game is going to be free?
Of course! 
Avatar image for mightyduck
#27 Posted by MightyDuck (1866 posts) -

@Solh0und: Just curious, how may gigs was the download?

Avatar image for solh0und
#28 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -
@MightyDuck said:

@Solh0und: Just curious, how may gigs was the download?

1.5 when I downloaded the game itself. 1.6 for the update.  
 
I hope the game isn't going to be over 10 gigs myself. DCUO was like 23 Gigs itself.
Avatar image for ahmadmetallic
#29 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19301 posts) -

tell me about the player hierarchy 

Avatar image for mightyduck
#30 Posted by MightyDuck (1866 posts) -

@Solh0und: @Solh0und said:

@MightyDuck said:

@Solh0und: Just curious, how may gigs was the download?

1.5 when I downloaded the game itself. 1.6 for the update. I hope the game isn't going to be over 10 gigs myself. DCUO was like 23 Gigs itself.

I'm hoping the same. That 23 gig for DCUO is what kept me away. I was really considering giving it a try, but with only an 80 gig hard drive for my ps3, it wasn't going to happen.

Avatar image for solh0und
#31 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:
tell me about the player hierarchy 
So far, roles haven't been a major thing here. I haven't seen much difference in factions which is kind of a bummer. Hope this answers your Q.  
Avatar image for mitsuko_souma
#32 Edited by mitsuko_souma (138 posts) -

@MightyDuck said:

@Solh0und: @Solh0und said:

@MightyDuck said:

@Solh0und: Just curious, how may gigs was the download?

1.5 when I downloaded the game itself. 1.6 for the update. I hope the game isn't going to be over 10 gigs myself. DCUO was like 23 Gigs itself.

I'm hoping the same. That 23 gig for DCUO is what kept me away. I was really considering giving it a try, but with only an 80 gig hard drive for my ps3, it wasn't going to happen.

DCUO was definitely not worth the 20gb download, in my opinion anyways. I got my first character up to about level 15 before I got bored. Then I made a 2nd character and got bored with that one right away, then never played it again. I didn't even get any PS3 trophies because they were broken or something.

Avatar image for kierkegaard
#33 Posted by Kierkegaard (714 posts) -

@Solh0und: They promoted that it would have thousands of maps. How cookie cutter are they? Is there interesting route design? Do you have to wander to find action or are you in the think of it the whole time? Any weird innovations you have made?

More basically, how do the weapons work? Are we talking CS style buy each time you die? Halo style weapons on the map that you find? Could you pay five dollars and win the match easily against free players?

Avatar image for driadon
#34 Posted by Driadon (3220 posts) -

So, have you played around with any of the loadouts yet? If so, does it have a use-this-type-of-armor-or-shield-to-tank-that-kind-of-damage sort of deal similar to EVE? Also, seen any loadouts that make people do some crazy ass shit? (Like using the transport as a unit squishing machine that was mentioned in the E3 interview)

Avatar image for thedj93
#35 Posted by thedj93 (1260 posts) -

@mitsuko_souma said:

DCUO was definitely not worth the 20gb download, in my opinion anyways. I got my first character up to about level 15 before I got bored. Then I made a 2nd character and got bored with that one right away, then never played it again. I didn't even get any PS3 trophies because they were broken or something.

LOL that is a magnificent litany of shit

Avatar image for solh0und
#36 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -
@Kierkegaard said:

@Solh0und: They promoted that it would have thousands of maps. How cookie cutter are they? Is there interesting route design? Do you have to wander to find action or are you in the think of it the whole time? Any weird innovations you have made?

More basically, how do the weapons work? Are we talking CS style buy each time you die? Halo style weapons on the map that you find? Could you pay five dollars and win the match easily against free players?

Hmm. The map seem very basic when you're talking about uniqueness. It reminded me of a map from UT 3. As for Innovations: nothing huge yet. I've dumped a few SP into assault rifle efficiency so far. I haven't done anything crazy just yet. I'll be giving the game another whack tomorrow. The weapons are basically standard military-shooteresque feel to them. You got your standard Assault Rifles,SMGs, Sniper Rifles(aiming with it is a bitch). Some are automatic,some do bursts,and a few are semi-auto. Theres also Heavy machine guns and pulse rifles. Alot of Heavys have been using the HMG alot. Again, If you were to buy a gun from the shop that was used with in-game currency(They aren't expensive), It's on a one per life/respawn basis. With that said, if you use the default weapons, they are permanent. It's not like Halo sadly so there will be no weapons laying around the map. And according to CCP, They are trying to balance out the paid weapons with the "free" weapons so no one has a unfair advantage. There WAS a article that came out where top tier equipment won't cost you alot of money sadly.
Avatar image for solh0und
#37 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -
@Driadon said:

So, have you played around with any of the loadouts yet? If so, does it have a use-this-type-of-armor-or-shield-to-tank-that-kind-of-damage sort of deal similar to EVE? Also, seen any loadouts that make people do some crazy ass shit? (Like using the transport as a unit squishing machine that was mentioned in the E3 interview)

Nothing too crazy yet.  It seems very much like " You got your standard load out" and "Here's your heavy loadout because he has the heavy RPG". Basic archtypes like that. It's too early to tell but I'm positive that the next beta phase will have the "crazy ass shit" happening.
Avatar image for bitcloud
#38 Posted by bitcloud (555 posts) -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-13-an-entire-top-end-dust-514-load-out-costs-around-USD0-24-in-real-money Actually it's suppose to have a lot of default weapons, including ones you unlock. You can "sidegrade" to the pay per respawn guns though. At least that what they has been telling us.

Avatar image for solh0und
#39 Posted by Solh0und (2139 posts) -
@bitcloud: Good find.
 
 
Hey everyone, I've been playing the beta on and off now for a few days. Day 1 was EXTREMELY laggy for me and I almost wanted to not play this game anymore but after that, its been fine. I'll try to play more of it tonight.
Avatar image for amazinmace
#40 Posted by amazinmace (50 posts) -

Also got in the beta through PS Home. Graphics are horrible. Menu loadtimes are bad and their layout is clunky. My first impressions, only played 3 matches.

Avatar image for bitcloud
#41 Posted by bitcloud (555 posts) -
@Solh0und Technical issue aside, my biggest question is about permanent unlocks. I can understand the sidegrades, but I want to know what permanent unlocks and purchased we can expect.
Avatar image for ninja_welshman
#42 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (592 posts) -

Just bought the Mercenary pack on PSN (i'm bored!). Anyone taking part in the first beta EVEnt (see what I did there)?

Avatar image for falserelic
#43 Posted by falserelic (5768 posts) -

I played the beta too today. It felt like section 8 meets mag.

Avatar image for ninja_welshman
#44 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (592 posts) -

Was interesting. First couple of games I didn't have a clue what was going on!! There are some interesting ideas and it felt like I hardly scratched the surface. Looking forward to see how it develops.

Avatar image for gkhan
#45 Posted by gkhan (902 posts) -

@Ninja_Welshman said:

Was interesting. First couple of games I didn't have a clue what was going on!! There are some interesting ideas and it felt like I hardly scratched the surface. Looking forward to see how it develops.

I downloaded the merc pack as well, and I have to say I'm not convinced. The shooting feels really weird (i.e. bad), and playing as a sniper is the most frustrating thing ever. Maybe I just suck at games, but I don't think I do, and I've played a number of other shooters on the PS3, and something about the shooting just feels not good.

Avatar image for methodman008
#46 Posted by MethodMan008 (1017 posts) -

@Ninja_Welshman: When is that? Assuming I didn't already miss it.

Avatar image for kindgineer
#47 Posted by kindgineer (3090 posts) -

Why is it called Dust 514?

Avatar image for mightyduck
#48 Posted by MightyDuck (1866 posts) -

I was curious how you guys were enjoying it now that the beta has been going on for a few weeks. I was half tempted to pick up that Mercenary Pack, but held off for the time being.

Avatar image for rainbowkraken
#49 Posted by RainbowKraken (25 posts) -

I just got invited to the beta for this weekend. Pretty excited about it, anyone else get an invite?

Avatar image for thehbk
#50 Posted by TheHBK (5670 posts) -

Is it better to play naked or just freeball it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.