Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dust: An Elysian Tail

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 15, 2012

In the fantasy world of Falana, a mysterious swordsman named Dust, armed with a living sword called Ahrah and a quirky companion named Fidget, seeks to free a village from oppression while uncovering the truth behind his past.

Does this make anybody else really want a new 2D Metroid game?

• 64 results
    MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By MormonWarrior

I watched IGN's video review of this and it has me way stoked to try it out. The Metroid games (particularly Super Metroid and the GBA games) are some of my favorites ever and it just made me realize how much I'd like to see Nintendo do this on either the Wii U or 3DS with that series. (By which I mean a new hand-drawn 2D Metroid game). I mean, I like the Castlevania games and Shadow Complex but they just don't hit the spot for me quite like Metroid...

C'mon, it's been like almost ten years since we've had a proper Metroid game! It's killing me.

Wesker411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Wesker411

As long as it is nothing like Other M and more like Super Metroid then hell yes I would love another Metroid.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I think Other M killed the chances of another Metroid game happening any time soon.

But yeah, I'd love another 2D version.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By 49th

I would love a new 2D Metroid. I'd also love to play Dust but it is xbox only. =l

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

@Wesker411 said:

As long as it is nothing like Other M and more like Super Metroid then hell yes I would love another Metroid.

That would only be taking things a step backward.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Rafaelfc

not really... these downloadable metroidvania games (Dust, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Shadow Complex) really make me wish for a new disc based-game with a HUGE map and a long campaign with tons of little nooks and crannies to explore.

Wesker411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wesker411
    @Hailinel said:

@Wesker411 said:

In that case backwards is definitely the way to go. Other M was such a pile of shit, honestly it hurts me to say that about a Metroid game.
    Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By living4theday258

@Wesker411 said:

THIS! I cant say Other M sucked because I have never played ( I herd it was shit ) super metroid on the other hand.......

I've been wanting a Metroid 5, been thinking about it since I beat metroid fusion recently. and then this was announced.... which crushed my hopes.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Joeyoe31

Yeah, I would love to have a new 2.5 style Metroid. Would be amazing.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By musubi

Super Metroid is still better than most games released today.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CptBedlam

Totally!

I want another Metroidvania, unfortunately I'm not really digging the art style of Dust.

Wesker411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wesker411

^^ This guy knows whats up.

Edit: Ninja'd by CptBedlam

sunsetstreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sunsetstreek

@Demoskinos said:

Super Metroid is still better than most games released today.

amen

but yeah, full budget 2.5 metroidvania on a console would be amazing.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By fox01313

Well Nintendo tends to not follow common sense most of the time so best to play some of the older Metroid 2d games as there's plenty of them & it's doubtful that another is coming anytime soon (as they would have shown even a title screen at e3 to get people excited for their games).

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By phrali

if they did make this, nintendo would probably ruin it by trying to incorporate motion controls or something stupid like that

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hailinel

@Wesker411 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Wesker411 said:

In that case backwards is definitely the way to go. Other M was such a pile of shit, honestly it hurts me to say that about a Metroid game.

Yeah, well I don't agree, so there you go.

@living4theday258 said:

@Wesker411 said:

THIS! I cant say Other M sucked because I have never played ( I herd it was shit ) super metroid on the other hand.......

You should actually play games before making judgments on them.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Dagbiker

I dont know anything about this "Dust" game, but I really wish there was a new, 2d Metroid game. Guess Ill have to stick with the 2d Castlevania game until then.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By NoobSauceG7

I would love another 2D metroid game. Still play metroid fusion quite a bit and love that!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy

I enjoyed the shit out of Other M, although it was a bit too easy. I beat it on the hardest difficulty and collected everything there is to collect. It really is a great game and the narrative of Samus is kind of fucked, in a good psychological way.

But yes a nice 2D Metroid with Shadow Complex graphics needs to be done. Perhaps with the Wii U, or even 3DS? Put the map on the screen you're not using.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Elazul

As a die-hard fan who has absolutely scraped the bottom of the genre's barrel, I cannot even begin to tell you guys how much I want a new 2D Metroid or Castlevania game. I just finished Monster Tale for the third friggin' time, for Christ's sake.

joetom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By joetom

I've been wanting a new 2D Metroid game for years. Prime never interested me.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Fearbeard

Yeah, or a good Castlevania 2D game. This is a horribly under utilised genre particularly since XBLA is a perfect market for this type of game

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By living4theday258

@Hailinel: I said I cant really say Other M sucks...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel

@living4theday258 said:

@Hailinel: I said I cant really say Other M sucks...

Fair enough. I misread that.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By jakob187

Other M wasn't shit. It was just fucking stupid.

Also, you people are asking Nintendo to go back to making a game just like it was before...but then bitch and complain because Nintendo doesn't change their shit between games most of the time?

You people are so fucking difficult to please.

Honestly, I want to see Metroid go in a completely new direction. Metroid Prime was a unique experience within the Metroid world, and I loved those games. You didn't? Oh fucking well. They changed shit up and did something different. Other M suffered from a stupid story that led characters towards illogical paths based on their already established history and paradigms. The gameplay was fine, though.

If anything, I want to see a Metroid RPG at this point.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Hailinel said:

@Wesker411 said:

What if they called it New Super Metroid....

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MormonWarrior

@Wesker411 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Wesker411 said:

I thought Other M would just be disappointing but it was TER-RI-BLE! (I type that with Ryan's voice playing in my head). I couldn't believe how awful the combat, story, graphics, and everything were! I think there's literally nothing redeeming about that game and I tend to be fairly forgiving to Nintendo's shenanigans.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MormonWarrior

Oh also...the Prime games were great, especially the first one. I like all the Metroid games a lot except the first one (it's too old and archaic and I have no nostalgic attachment to it) and Other M which is horrifically bad.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hailinel
    @MormonWarrior

@Wesker411 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Wesker411 said:

I thought Other M would just be disappointing but it was TER-RI-BLE! (I type that with Ryan's voice playing in my head). I couldn't believe how awful the combat, story, graphics, and everything were! I think there's literally nothing redeeming about that game and I tend to be fairly forgiving to Nintendo's shenanigans.

I don't agree on any of you're vaguely defined points of argument. It's easy to say something is terrible. It's another to explain why.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Fuck yes if Nintendo isn't secretly developing a 2d Metroid game for the 3DS I will be pissed off. It's been far too long since Fusion.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#31  Edited By BeachThunder

I would very much like a 2D Metroid game on 3DS. It's been a decade since Metroid Fusion D:

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kpaadet

I would love a 2D Metroid, especially because I never cared about the 3D ones. But knowing Nintendo they would probably just add alot of stupid motion/3D gimmicks.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MormonWarrior

@Hailinel said:

@MormonWarrior

@Wesker411 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Wesker411 said:

I don't agree on any of you're vaguely defined points of argument. It's easy to say something is terrible. It's another to explain why.

I've defined it in other places but the short of it is:

• Horribly clunky controls that never get good even when you're used to them after a while, especially the missiles and scanning
    • Blurry, muddy, ugly graphics even by Wii standards (especially environments but even enemies and characters look bad)
    • Sexist, nonsensical story beats and complete de-characterization of Samus into a wimpy whiny girl who blindly follows pointless orders from former COs
    • "Thumbs Down" Seriously. WHAT? The story is complete garbage beginning to end and makes no sense in relation to the rest of the franchise.
    • The most contrived abilitease to ever hit the series. And that's saying something. (Adam said no, therefore I'll let myself overheat to death instead of disobey a retarded order)
    • Extremely dumbed down exploration mechanics and obnoxious enemy designs.
    • Combat, instead of being cool and Ninja Gaiden-esque, mostly consists of running awkward circles around enemies and hoping the weird dodge mechanic works right while you wait for a proper opening
    • It's missing the cool classic Metroid "lone soldier" explorer desperation feel. The Metroid Prime games got it. All the 2D games got it. This game definitely doesn't get it.
    • THUMBS DOWN

I wanted to like it. I'm a big fan of Ninja Gaiden and Metroid and was very open to something new...but there weren't any redeeming qualities in Other M. The extent of anything okay in it is when there's fleeting moments of it being like a normal Metroid game, but it's just slightly less painful.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By TheHBK

If they did though, they would probably do that same thing they did with Other M and anime the shit out of it and make Samus some sex symbol. That was just stupid.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hailinel

@MormonWarrior I never had a problem with the controls, nor the graphics. Combat is largely what I'd expect out of a 3D Metroid game. Enemy designs are largely taken from past Metroid games, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about there. The exploration aspect isn't any different from Fusion, either.

Also, how is Samus portrayed in a sexist fashion? How is it sexist for a woman to have psychological or emotional hang-ups? The thumbs down was a sign of petulance from her early years in the military and isn't that ridiculous, either. She agreed to Adam's terms for the mission, meaning orders would need to be followed according to standard military procedure.

The one flaw that I would concede is that the writing isn't great. It's almost all telling, rather than showing, and it doesn't do well in accounting for the armor upgrades in a sensible fashion. But sexist? No.

EDIT: Because I wrote this post on an autocorrecting piece of shit phone originally and the mobile site doesn't allow edits.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bane122

Sure, but only in the sense that I love Metroidvania-styled games. I like Samus and all of the various Metroid tropes but they don't scratch that itch better than most other similarly styled games such as the myriad Castlevania titles or Shadow Complex

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By YoThatLimp

@Rafaelfc said:

not really... these downloadable metroidvania games (Dust, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Shadow Complex) really make me wish for a new disc based-game with a HUGE map and a long campaign with tons of little nooks and crannies to explore.

I think that is his point, a giant retail 2D old school super polished awesome game. I think Final Fantasy could take it there too and it would be amazing.

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Blind_Evil

Nah, I prefer the 3D Metroid games. This makes me want another Shadow Complex, though.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mijati

Been waiting since 2004. 8 years now with no word in a proper Metroid game. Ridiculous that we've had to wait so long for one really.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By impartialgecko

I always want a 2D Metroid game

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AndrewB

There are two franchises that ironically should never go back to the Metroidvania formula, and they're Metroid and Castlevania.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#42  Edited By TheMasterDS

@AndrewB: What? That's madness! The last 2D Metroid game, Zero Mission, was fantastic! The last 2D proper Castlevania game, Order of Ecclesia, was also fantastic! What evidence is there a new one wouldn't work if done right?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AndrewB

@TheMasterDS said:

@AndrewB: What? That's madness! The last 2D Metroid game, Zero Mission, was fantastic! The last 2D proper Castlevania game, Order of Ecclesia, was also fantastic! What evidence is there a new one wouldn't work if done right?

Zero Mission AND Fusion were great. I hated Order of Ecclesia compared to the Aria series (and Portrait of Ruin was... ugh).

Regardless, I just think there have been too many of those games and I want to see them do something different with their 2D games. Even a new 2D Castlevania in the style of Castlevania 3 would be preferred for me. It's at least been longer since they've done one of those.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#44  Edited By TheMasterDS

@AndrewB: Portrait of Ruin was shit, yes, but Order of Ecclecia wasn't. Perhaps it was a lot more linear than Metroidvanias usually are, but the mechanics were never better, the world was never cooler and the characters really worked.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By BoG

I feel like we've all been asking for this game since Metroid: Zero Mission came out. I absolutely loves the game, as did everyone I know who played it. With all the other Metroidvania coming to much praise, it just seemed to make sense that Nintendo would get around to a new 2D Metroid title. Does anyone remember the Metroid Break rumors? There was a scannable creature in Echoes which had a message like "BREAK:COMING SOON" (that's not anywhere near exact, and everyone thought it meant a new 2D game.

At this point in time... I don't know how much I want a 2D Metroid. Not that I doubt the awesomeness of the game, simply that it will probably be a 3DS game, and I don't want a 3DS...

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MikkaQ

I just don't trust Nintendo to get it right, especially after something like Shadow Complex innovated in the "genre" if you could call it that.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AndrewB

@TheMasterDS: Maybe my opinion of it is tarnished by the fact that I only ever made it up to what I assume was the first "bad ending," said WTF, and never picked it up again. It's one short-ass Castlevania game if you play it that way.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hailinel
    @MikkaQ

I just don't trust Nintendo to get it right, especially after something like Shadow Complex innovated in the "genre" if you could call it that.

What did Shadow Complex do that was innovative?
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AndrewB

@Hailinel said:

@MikkaQ

What did Shadow Complex do that was innovative?

I can't think of anything besides having enemies you shoot at in the background. It was just an amazingly well-made one of those games, and something that felt different enough to be fresh.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#50  Edited By jacksukeru

If anything Dust's cape reminded me of Alucard's in Symphony of the Night, another good one of those with more detailed sprites made for PSN/XBLA/STEAM would be most welcome.

I've never had much fondness for Super Metroid, and am actually kind of soured on the Metroid series as a whole right now, but I liked Fusion and Zero Mission well enough, so maybe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.