Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dwarf Fortress

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Aug 08, 2006

Dwarf Fortress is a single-player, high fantasy simulation game in the style of old ASCII Roguelikes. You can control either a Dwarven clan attempting to build a settlement or a single adventurer in a randomly generated and persistent world complete with its own unique history.

DF2014 is almost here

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
    deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Word on the street is that it might be tomorrow but I wouldn't hold your breath. Probably sometime next week. I can't wait to chop down a massive tree that is hundreds of years old. That should really piss off the elves. What are you excited about?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Will there be a GUI in 2014? If not then I'll just wait another 5 years because I really don't have the time to dedicate to DF.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will there be a GUI in 2014? If not then I'll just wait another 5 years because I really don't have the time to dedicate to DF.

Nope.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you might have to wait a teeny bit longer

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't think the guy was still working on it. Any word on what sort of changes he's bringing in this version?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I read somewhere that the current UI was just meant as a placeholder. I don't know about a GUI but some work on the current interface couldn't hurt.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itwongo said:

@corruptedevil said:

you might have to wait a teeny bit longer

Yeah. Come back in about 20 years.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vuud: I think mostly world gen and making the npcs better.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

For a man who has heard of since ever but has never attempted to play/download it, what's the entry point aside from just googling "Dwarf Fortress"?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Unfortunately for me, since this whole 2 years worth of work has been mostly focused on world building/adventure mode, I'm pretty much still hanging on for the next patch. Some of the bugs in fortress mode in the previous version were just super annoying to me. Maybe a little irrationally in some cases. Like god damn, would you military guys please equip two gauntlets...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itwongo said:

@ch3burashka said:

For a man who has heard of since ever but has never attempted to play/download it, what's the entry point aside from just googling "Dwarf Fortress"?

Dave Snider swears by the O'reilly guide if you're willing to spare the cash. http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920022565.do

I might finally check this out. I still don't really have a good grasp on militaries. I prefer to use traps and various kinds of giant war animals for defense.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By onarum

CAN'T WAIT!! gonna play the shit out of the adventurer mode at first

@ch3burashka said:

I always liked captnduck videos, might by a bit long and dull for some people, better than reading a huge wiki though

edit: of course you'll still need the wiki here and there, but these videos are a nice way to start.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I heard someone say online that there would be multi-tile trees, but that sounds to insane to be true.

MULTI-TILE TREES, DUDES! MULTI-TILE TREES!

Shit is about to get real.

BigD145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once 0.40.final is out new how to's need to be made. Duck is okay but he does the same thing over and over. He's not the be all end all of fortress mode. His stairwells leave much to be desired as they are death traps for dwarfs and only confuse new players when they start losing dwarfs for no apparent reason.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been waiting for dfhack to get upgraded to 0.40 but I might post some screenshots about how I like to setup my fortresses.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.