Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dwarf Fortress

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Aug 08, 2006

Dwarf Fortress is a single-player, high fantasy simulation game in the style of old ASCII Roguelikes. You can control either a Dwarven clan attempting to build a settlement or a single adventurer in a randomly generated and persistent world complete with its own unique history.

Giant Bomb Community Succession Game!

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shofixti
    No Caption Provided

Disclaimer: Yes, I know there was another one of these in the makings and (with my apologies to Thineoarlock) it was apparent that it was never going to get off the ground, so I've decided to try and start one here. I've got nothing but spare time to kill so hopefully I'm able to keep this thing rolling as if it's underside was coated in lard.

So welcome! Whether you're a seasoned dwarf commander who's experience is only matched by his alcoholism or your a simple newcomer who's vaguely interested in the game after watching Dave's descent into Dwarfdom, I hope you'll find that succession games like this are one of the most enjoyable ways to experience Dwarf Fortress. Regardless of if you're a spectator or one of the players, the stories that succession games generate are one of the reasons Dwarf Fortress is as popular as it is today. In fact, if you haven't already, I HIGHLY recommend you see DF at it's best here: http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/

THE STORY SO FAR:

http://www.giantbomb.com/slaves-to-armok-ii-dwarf-fortress/61-21594/the-story-of-shimmeroiled/35-554987/#22

How it works:

So for those of you unfamiliar with the game format, here's how it goes:

• The first player starts the fortress, and plays the first full year.
    • While the player plays out the year, he/she/it makes a record of the events of the year, either by a series of forum posts or perhaps one big one when he submits the save.
    • He/she/it then saves the game and posts it here for the next player to take his turn
    • It keeps going that way until we experience Fun

In addition, players should remember the following rules/guidelines. None of these are really set in stone, and more may be added or changed as time goes on:

1. You must take your turn within a weeks time.
    2. Don't reload a save if something goes wrong. That's all part of it!
    3. You should name a Dwarf after Yourself.
    4. By no means do you need to write about your year in character. Some people find that fun sure, but I totally get that it's fairly nerdy.
    5. If you are very new, feel free to ask for help rather than screw the next guy over! Losing is Fun!
    6. If a player is unable to complete his turn in a week's time, then it passes to the next player on the list. If he is unresponsive within the first 2 days of being messaged, then it goes to a random player in the reserve pool.

Game Roster

Below find the current roster. IMPORTANT NOTE: We are no longer taking any new registrants! Sorry! The only two people I will make an exception for are Thineoarlock (Who I promised a guaranteed spot) and Sankis (Who is a bloody celebrity)

No Caption Provided

Here's the reserve pool as it stands (Registrations always open:)

• SpaceBoat
    • Renahzor
    • HotSauceMagik
    • Jesterroyal

Updates:

July 13th: Messaging everybody from Thineoarlock's succession game, seeing if I can count on them for this. CHECK YOUR INBOX!

July 14th: Filled up 11 players! I think this is more than fine for now. If people continue to want to register, then I'm thinking of setting up a reserve pool of players or... Perhaps... Starting a sister fort alongside this one! In addition, later tonight I'm going to generate a world for us to look at. We're going to need to do a bit of talking about the location of the settlement.

I have generated a world with these settings:

• World Size: Medium
    • History: Short
    • Number of Civilizations: Medium
    • Number of Beasts: High
    • Natural Savagery: Medium
    • Mineral Occurrences: Frequent

Okay, I've spent a lot of time looking for a suitable location and I've found 7 for you guys to discuss amongst yourselves for awhile. This is an open discussion to everybody, not just the players.

Here they are:

1. The Comedic Island - Desert Island
    2. The Hill of Hatred - Haunted Forest
    3. The Sensual Dunes - A Desert with an imaginative name.
    4. The Stable Glacier - Frozen Wasteland
    5. The Scarlet Hills - Just a nice place to settle
    6. The Hill of Owning - Mountain
    7. The Old Island - An Inhospitable Volcanic Island

You guys can look for a place yourself by downloading my world. This is my first time sharing a world, so let me know if I sent the wrong thing:

http://www.awesomeblog.ca/random/region3.zip

July 22: One long week which saw me getting less than 10 hours of sleep in a 4 day window and a Guinness World Record later, I'm back and ready to get things rolling!

To begin with, I used a random list generator to find the turn order... Here it is:

1. BoG
    2. Daveyo520
    3. Seaborgium
    4. Sankis
    5. Fallen189
    6. Zombie Shakespeare
    7. SamStrife
    8. Envane
    9. Akyho
    10. Shofixti
    11. Onarum

(Yes, I'm grumbling about it too, but that's how the lots were drawn)

I've given the reserve player pool some thought, and here's how it's going to work:

If a player is unable to complete his turn in a week's time, then it passes to the next player on the list. If he is unresponsive within the first 2 days of being messaged, then it goes to a random player in the reserve pool.

Here's the reserve pool as it stands (Registrations always open:)

• SpaceBoat
    • Renahzor
    • HotSauceMagik
    • Bropira

I'm giving you all till midnight tonight (eastern) to raise complaints or ask for last minute changes... Then I'm sending a message out to BoG and his turn will be on the clock!

July 23: The Fortress was started by BoG! Early reports from the newly founded colony claim it has taken the name of Onamuzol, or "Shimmeroiled" in the human tongue

July 23: BoG amazingly has completed his turn within 24 hours!

July 28: Daveyo has completed his turn!

July I'mnotevensure: Seaborgium completed his turn.

????: I stopped keeping track of updates

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By onarum

Sign me right the fuck up :P

though since I have very little free tome during the week it's possible I end up passing my turn.

question, a week's time means monday - sunday or monday - friday? in the case of the former there's no problem then, I can easily go through a year on a weekend.

edit: also we really should play with a tileset, phoebus to be more precise, I simply can't play with the default ascii mess (yeah I know I ain't that much hardcore)

Seaborgium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Seaborgium

I would like to sign up.

If I remember correctly, tilesets do not affect save data at all. That is to say: If person 1 plays with pure ASCII, then it's possible for person 2 to pick up the save and play with Mayday's graphics, and for person 3 to continue with Phoebus's graphics, and so on. So everyone can just use whatever tileset they like best.

Should people be able to request extensions? On the one hand, I believe that games generally die when they are forgotten. If someone is still active in the thread, I think there's a very strong chance that that person will not abandon the game, at least not until he/she stops being active in the thread. On the other hand, if we have each turn be exactly one week, we can tell people exactly what their week will be in advance, and people can prepare for that time (e.g. by scheduling things so they'll have free time during that week, or something).

Finally, I think rule #5 should be changed to "If you are new, please screw the next guy over. Also, if you are not new, please screw the next guy over."

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Shofixti

@onarum said:

Sign me right the fuck up :P though since I have very little free tome during the week it's possible I end up passing my turn. question, a week's time means monday - sunday or monday - friday? in the case of the former there's no problem then, I can easily go through a year on a weekend. edit: also we really should play with a tileset, phoebus to be more precise, I simply can't play with the default ascii mess (yeah I know I ain't that much hardcore)

Glad to have you! I think in our case a week will be 7 days from turn start.

And yeah, no problems there. I sort-of figured everybody would have a different idea of what tileset to use. So long as it doesn't cause any save issues, I see no reason why we cant all use our own.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd be into this under one condition: I'm the last to do it. I know nothing about Dwarf Fortress, and I'd love to see how badly I can screw things up.

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shofixti

@Video_Game_King said:

I'd be into this under one condition: I'm the last to do it. I know nothing about Dwarf Fortress, and I'd love to see how badly I can screw things up.

I think that can be arranged. But I couldn't guarantee you would play in that case. It could very well end before it gets to your turn

I like the idea of the fortress being doomed to eventually fall into the hands of a hairbrained despot with no regard for Dwarvish life.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By onarum
    @Seaborgium said:

If I remember correctly, tilesets do not affect save data at all. That is to say: If person 1 plays with pure ASCII, then it's possible for person 2 to pick up the save and play with Mayday's graphics, and for person 3 to continue with Phoebus's graphics, and so on. So everyone can just use whatever tileset they like best.

Nah, unfortunately the tilesets are all saved with the saves (region#\raw\graphics), but that's no biggie, all the person who's playing has to do is to backup the raws folder before doing any changes, then return it to default when passing it along, the screenshots will be a little messy though, with people using different tilesets.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Shofixti said:

I like the idea of the fortress being doomed to eventually fall into the hands of a hairbrained despot with no regard for Dwarvish life.

As do I. I may be a great Lunarian King, but fuck dwarves....shall be my policy. All I'd have to know is general "get it working" stuff instead of "here's how you actually play the game" stuff.

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shofixti

@Seaborgium said:

I would like to sign up.

Should people be able to request extensions? On the one hand, I believe that games generally die when they are forgotten. If someone is still active in the thread, I think there's a very strong chance that that person will not abandon the game, at least not until he/she stops being active in the thread. On the other hand, if we have each turn be exactly one week, we can tell people exactly what their week will be in advance, and people can prepare for that time (e.g. by scheduling things so they'll have free time during that week, or something).

Finally, I think rule #5 should be changed to "If you are new, please screw the next guy over. Also, if you are not new, please screw the next guy over."

Good to have you, Mr. Borgs-rule-the-Sea-ium

As for the tilesets, I'm going to take a look at it in a few minutes. (Family Guy is drawing too much of my multitasking processing power) If it turns out they are, in fact, an issue to save files... Then I think that forcing a standardized set is in everybodys best interest. That's something i'll want more input on, BTW.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Daveyo520

Woooooord

Seaborgium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seaborgium

@Video_Game_King said:

fuck dwarves....shall be my policy.

I've heard that about you.

I haven't played in a while, but I liked Ironhand a lot, back when I did. Looks like this:

No Caption Provided
    Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Shofixti

@Daveyo520 said:

Woooooord

I take it by "Woooooord" you mean: "Yes, Great and mighty Shofixti, add me to the roster of your most well realized brainchild"

To which I reply by sagely nodding.

Edit:Also, upon doing some experimenting, Lazy Newb pack includes a button to update the tileset of a savefile to your own. So no big worry here!

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By envane

sign me up if you want , im a veteran but i havent played any succession games , ultimately i dont like the idea of losing control of what ive worked on ,,, but for the struggling gb df community and for the lulz i will do it !

and yeh ..lazy noob pack should facilitate the quick swapping of tilesets and updating the save accordingly .. although it would be best if everyone just stuck to using ironhand:)

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Daveyo520

@Shofixti: Ah, well then we can use anyone we want. Cool.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Akyho

After kicking my addictive habit of Adventure mode, I am back into DF mode. I am on year........??????????? and the fortress is an utter shambles. The food production has failed. The animals wont be butchered. I get the odd butchering. We are starving all the time. And we have started to rely on killing the merchants and stealing the food if they wont broker a deal with us.....we dont know how long that will last.

I have a murder squad. For everyone that goes berserk we murder them......and we keep ticking along on 72 dwarfs. The tomb encases 25 coffins filled with mostly dwarfs, some humans....and some elves.

So overall...I think I am qualified to join!

@Shofixti said:

Good to have you, Mr. Borgs-rule-the-Sea-ium

As for the tilesets, I'm going to take a look at it in a few minutes. (Family Guy is drawing too much of my multitasking processing power) If it turns out they are, in fact, an issue to save files... Then I think that forcing a standardized set is in everybodys best interest. That's something i'll want more input on, BTW.

I was just thinking this. I use Mayday, It is one version behind the latest version. Meaning. I and other should be on the most up to date and freshest install. So its stable.

Plus I think we should evoke a very strict rule. No extensions. If you have not finished your year. pass on the file. What ever progress you have will stay. That is to say. If we are ahead of scheduled. and the person was given the file half a week earlier. Then they can keep the file for the week and a half. After that its mandatory to skip them or pass the recent file.

I want to be strict as being too nice will kill it for everyone. Besides it not like everyone is kicked off the list. IF it last long enough we shall pass around to the person who was added at the end for a second chance. If they fail that strike their name.

PS we NEED the Boatmurder Veteran Sankis here. It would simply be too magical.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SamStrife

Oh yeah, thanks for the message and sign me the F up!

I'll play any slot third onwards.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Fallen189

I'm in. Pretty veteran player, I'll play whenever. I'm feeling...traps

Avatar image for zombie_shakespeare
    Zombie_Shakespeare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, great. I'm in if there's still room. Again.

In case someone is curious and didn't read the other succession thread, I have limited knowledge of DF, but I'm willing to put some research into my turn and make it work. I'd try to make the writing colorful.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By BoG

Sign me up! I'm really excited to see how this turns out!

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shofixti

@BoG: Added.

@Zombie_Shakespeare: Added.

@Fallen189: Added.

@SamStrife: Added.

@Akyho: Added. And yes, I do plan on being quite strict. With so many people signed up if you fail to make your turn in a week then somebody else will gladly take theirs.

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shofixti

@envane: Oh hey, I somehow missed your post. Adding now!

Edit: Update: Filled up 11 players! I think this is more than fine for now. If people continue to want to register, then I'm thinking of setting up a reserve pool of players or... Perhaps... Starting a sister fort alongside this one! In addition, later tonight I'm going to generate a world for us to look at. We're going to need to do a bit of talking about the location of the settlement.

Seaborgium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Seaborgium

I think a reserve pool would be a good idea.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jesterroyal

I cant wait to see some stories of our grand GB fortress. Bonus points to people who can finish a round in less than a week =D

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By butano

Just finished reading the chronicles of Boatmurdered last night. Looking forward to this glorious disaster! Installed the game, but haven't touched it yet. Need to watch more videos on how to play it.

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shofixti

Update: I have generated a world with these settings:

• World Size: Medium
    • History: Short
    • Number of Civilizations: Medium
    • Number of Beasts: High
    • Natural Savagery: Medium
    • Mineral Occurrences: Frequent

I'm browsing around all the sites now, I'll post the world itself and a list of possible sites sometime in the next 2 hours. In the meantime, if anybody has any complaints about my spawn settings... Now's the time to pipe up!

SpaceBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SpaceBoat

Curses! I guess I was too late in checking my messages.

Oh well, if a spot opens up, I'll be here. Otherwise, I'll be watching with great interest the disaster that is nearly certain to unfold.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Renahzor

If any space opens up I'd love to take my turn ruining the lives of some filthy lit...... I mean Running a glorious kingdom in the name of Giant Bomb.

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shofixti

Okay, I've spent a lot of time looking for a suitable location and I've found 7 for you guys to discuss amongst yourselves for awhile. This is an open discussion to everybody, not just the players.

Here they are:

1. The Comedic Island - Desert Island
    2. The Hill of Hatred - Haunted Forest
    3. The Sensual Dunes - A Desert with an imaginative name.
    4. The Stable Glacier - Frozen Wasteland
    5. The Scarlet Hills - Just a nice place to settle
    6. The Hill of Owning - Mountain
    7. The Old Island - An Inhospitable Volcanic Island

You guys can look for a place yourself by downloading my world. This is my first time sharing a world, so let me know if I sent the wrong thing:

http://www.awesomeblog.ca/random/region3.zip

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Daveyo520

@Shofixti: I am a fan of the volcano or ice land.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King
    jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jesterroyal

That a noticible absence of flux metals in those sites. I dont know how important it is to have steel in this fort but that worth discussion. I think the haunted area should be right out. Theres so many guys who are newer to the game. The fortress would last to the first slaughtered cow before everyone gets suffocated by a zombie untanned hide.

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shofixti

@jesterroyal: Yeah, the lack of Flux stone was common across any of the more interesting areas... Actually, I took another look, and found very similar Ice, Mountain, Hill and Desert Island locations with Flux Stones.

Seaborgium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Seaborgium

I'm for Hill of Owning, or the mountain with flux.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By envane

flux can be imported meh .. i prefer a good glass/clay resource .. fire clay is epic , also kaolinite for porcelain is great too .. flux is great but if you dont even have enuff iron on the map its moot , also treeeees ...

ill give the world a look at and determien the best dwarf civ to start from ... lacking access to certain useful materials on the embark screen is only own your fault for picking a crappy civ

ohwell .. if anyone needs guidance check out ..http://dwarffortresswiki.org/

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jrad

If you guys embark on an island, make sure you have access to goblins or elves (ideally both); DF just isn't the same without sieges.

SpaceBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SpaceBoat

I feel like wherever it is, it must have some way for sieges to get to your fort. The last fortress I ran didn't get any and it turned out pretty dull.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By onarum

Yeah Sieges are key, so ideally we should avoid islands, I like the Hill of owning for obvious reasons ;p, but then embarking in volcanoes is always nice because it's usually easier to set up magma forges.

I will go with whatever you guys pick I just think we shouldn't embark in a haunted place, constantly fighting zombie things will make things go bad way too fast ;)

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By Fallen189

What build/setup do you want us to use? Should everyone just get lazy noob so we're synced?

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shofixti

@Fallen189: I believe Lazy Noob would go a long way to helping make sure this all runs smoothly

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Akyho

Hill of hatred Or hill of owning interests me.

Need to see if alternate locals appear.

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shofixti

Just so you all know, I'm going to be away most of this week helping an out of town friend with a World Record attempt.

I'll be on sporadically, so things may slow down for awhile. If you all could, I'd really appreciate if you took a look at my posted world file and found a suitable site. Maybe somewhere in the Hill of Owning with Flux stone.

Sankis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By Sankis

Yeah, what the hell. Add me to the reserve.

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Shofixti

@Sankis: I'll do better than that

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Akyho

@Sankis said:

Yeah, what the hell. Add me to the reserve.

You are not only a succession game veteran...your one of thee succession game veteran's. So you must be bumped into the game one way or another and Shofixti is doing so.

I even had flash backs during my latest DF. Everyone was going mad, hungry and thirsty.....since so many people were berserk they could not stop and eat or drink...my murder squad was run down to nothing. It got to a point i couldnt tell who was berserk and who wasn't. So I expect the same from this eventually.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By envane

ive found a nice little location , the site has almost everything one would need , a good amount of trees , small flatland clearing and brook , and a nice hilly side with obsidian ! , and of course plenty of minerals , some farming soil , clay , flux stone , and no immediate sign of elephants ?

its a little bit warm but so is most of the world , at least we wont have any flash freezing .. but yeah .. this region in general has a lot of nice staring area , and from what i researched the civ with the widest range of trade goods is "the persuasive metal"

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

so yeah .. im good with anywhere you guys pick , this is just a suggestion :)

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jesterroyal

@envane: I like that spot. Especially since people are so new. If the interest stays It wouldn't stink to begin going to crazier places. I'm of the mindset that you don't have to engineer failure to have it happen. (though extreme climates would be fun that might be a 2nd run sort of event).

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Video_Game_King

@envane said:

ive found a nice little location , the site has almost everything one would need , a good amount of trees , small flatland clearing and brook , and a nice hilly side with obsidian ! , and of course plenty of minerals , some farming soil , clay , flux stone , and no immediate sign of elephants ?

*makes fart noises in disapproval*

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By BoG

Great spot. Tons of space to develop right up top, and I like warm environments.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By onarum

@envane: I like that location as well.

Seaborgium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Seaborgium

Yeah, that location seems good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.