Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dwarf Fortress

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Aug 08, 2006

Dwarf Fortress is a single-player, high fantasy simulation game in the style of old ASCII Roguelikes. You can control either a Dwarven clan attempting to build a settlement or a single adventurer in a randomly generated and persistent world complete with its own unique history.

Succession Game!

• 51 results
    ThineOarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ThineOarlock

After watching Dave hack his way through some dwarf fortress I got the itch again, so I decided that I would see if anyone would want to play a succession game! Sucession games, for those who don't know, are games where you get to take control of the fortress for one year in game time and usually accompanied by some kind of journal entries or writing. A classic example of this is Boatmurdered.

SO, anyone interested

EDIT: Here's the link for Boatmurdered. Warning, it may cause painful laughing. http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Introduction/

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dvorak

You might want to link to Boatmurdered and the other SA threads if you want to convince people to check this out.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Getz

Boatmurdered is a great read, even if you know nothing about DF. I wholly support a Giant Bomb project of this sort, but count me out because I know jack shit about how to play.

Sankis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Sankis

I'd join your Dwarf Fortress succession game if something gets off the ground. I haven't played in ages, though.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

I'd read this (maybe even play if I get good enough for it)

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By viking_funeral

Oh, man. I don't really have time to do one of these, but I'll take a spot if not enough people show interest.

Avatar image for zombie_shakespeare
    Zombie_Shakespeare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have moderate knowledge of Dwarf Fortress. I got in about as far as the military stuff and that is when I stopped playing. I'd love to do this, though. Could be fun to have something to focus on for a while, and I've been meaning to give it another try for quite some time.

SpaceBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SpaceBoat

I'll take a spot in a succession game. I haven't used the new version much at all because I was too attached to my old fortress, but learning is half the fun!

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Akyho

I will throw my hat into the back up pile. I might join in...I might not. However I could join in......if you get me.

Depends on how I feel and how everything goes. Hopefully it goes better than the last succession game of forums I was in. One person tried to right their name in gold. The next person stole that gold to make a golden pyramid. The next made a golden gate house 5Z tall.

Due to the constants fights for gold and egotism the dwarves became week and often would die of starvation.

davers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By davers

I had never even heard of Dwarf Fortress before the stream and now I'm dying to play it. I was actually thinking of doing something just like this, but I don't have time, unfortunately. I will totally read the Dwarf Fortress logs, if you do get a game going.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Ravenlight

Whether or not you care about actually playing DF, go read the chronicle of Boatmurdered. Yuks abound.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Daveyo520

I would love to participate.

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Shofixti

I'd be down to join in a game. I've got something resembling an understanding of the game by this point.

Seaborgium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Seaborgium

I'd like to play as well.

A lot of succession games stagnate after people wait weeks or even months for people to take their turn, though. I think some sort of time limit should be in place - if you don't upload your turn by the time limit, the next person in line gets to go with the most recent save.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Daveyo520

@Seaborgium: That sounds fair.

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shofixti

Hey Duders, are you serious about getting this rolling here? If so, we should really get at it!

ThineOarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ThineOarlock

Allright! Looks like we have a fair amount of interest going here (sorry for the delay, I was gone most of the weekend) Yes I agree on the time limit for the posts, though I can't decide what sounds like a fair time. A week? Two weeks? a Month? My initial reaction feels like a week is pretty short and a month is WAY to long, so two weeks seems good to me.

And going by the who responded first, here is the list of players so far:

ThineOarlock

Sankis (Maybe)

Paul_is_drunk (maybe)

Zombie_Shakespere

Spaceboat

Akyho(Maybe)

Daveyo520

Shofixti

That's more than 7, so we have at least a full embark ready to go (counting the maybes :D) Next question is do you guys want me to decide on an embark location, or should we do it communally?

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SamStrife

OK, if anyone drops out, I'd be happy to jump in as a stand by, so remember the name and if there's an issue I'll gladly jump right in.

I think as you're the first to go you get full power of where you should set up.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jesterroyal

@ThineOarlock: I think at the very least people should at least be polled to agree on savagery and evilness or whatnot. And a shorter history might make megabeast encounters more likely which could be fun? I think you should get the final say but you should poll the participants a little on what type of game it might be and how high the chances of failure are.

ThineOarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ThineOarlock

Haha, I don't plan on embarking on some bullshit Cursed Forest run, but if the players could give me a general idea what they would like i'll try to find a suitable spot

EDIT: MEGABEASTS ARE ALWAYS FUN. Had a skinless turtle that breathed poison get stuck in a stairwell once. Spread poison to every one who used to the stairs. I never recovered. Learned to not stack all my stairs on one block.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ravenlight

@ThineOarlock said:

Haha, I don't plan on embarking on some bullshit Cursed Forest run, but if the players could give me a general idea what they would like i'll try to find a suitable spot

From a Fun standpoint, I think it could be interesting to start in a reasonably safe area with one major disadvantage (an aquifer, or no shallow minerals, or no trees, etc.)

ThineOarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ThineOarlock

@Ravenlight: Agreed, It's only going to be fun if everything goes horribly wrong.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jesterroyal

@Ravenlight said:

@ThineOarlock said:

From a Fun standpoint, I think it could be interesting to start in a reasonably safe area with one major disadvantage (an aquifer, or no shallow minerals, or no trees, etc.)

A climate near either one of the extremes could be a fun turn as well.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I have no intention of playing this game but that Boatmurdered thing is too funny.
    Bloody elephants.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Daveyo520

Wooo, lets get this ball rolling.

How about an ice fort?

HotSauceMagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HotSauceMagik

Count me in for this. My forts usually fall apart around the time nobles start getting all demandy about what they want out of bedrooms and offices etc.

The only question I have is about tilesets etc... I don't think tilesets make a difference, but we should probably agree on one for consistency. (so people who haven't played the game can still understand whats going on with screen shots)

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Daveyo520

@HotSauceMagik: I am a big fan of the Ironhand tileset myself.

Zombie_Shakespeare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to second Ironhand. How about using other tools, like Dwarf Therapist? It'd put me off some to have to play without it after working a decent community of dorfs up.

I'd also like to see an interesting climate for the Fun part. Cold seems like it could be interesting, having to melt down water, or wait for rain? I'm not sure exactly what the implications of it are. But I'd like to find out the hard way.

SpaceBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SpaceBoat

Cold fortress sounds fun. I've tried both hot and cold, but my cold fortress never really got attacked by much and the hot one became immensely powerful because of a nearby volcano.

As for tilesets, I don't have any preference over which one to use, but it is a good idea to settle on a single one.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Daveyo520

@Zombie_Shakespeare: Dwarf Therapist helps so much, though I don't think it will affect save games like the tilesets will. So it should be up to personal preference.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By BoG

I want in! I'm terrible at the game, though.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By onarum

I'm down for it, put me on the list :)

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ravenlight

@ThineOarlock:

Sounds like the succession game idea is really taking off. Why don't you generate a world and let the forums pick the worst best place for the fortress?

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Shofixti

My vote goes to Short history, NO AQUIFER and otherwise anyplace that isn't some horribly demonic realm filled with death and demons.

Also, a week max to finish your turn sounds good to me. Anything more and I feel like this thing will outlive peoples interests.

Zombie_Shakespeare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shofixti said:

My vote goes to Short history, NO AQUIFER and otherwise anyplace that isn't some horribly demonic realm filled with death and demons.

Also, a week max to finish your turn sounds good to me. Anything more and I feel like this thing will outlive peoples interests.

Seconded, except for short history. Why bother? The generation time won't be that much different, and it's not like we're in an incredible rush anyway.

Since this is really taking off, though, OP should PM people on the list whenever the game starts, whenever they are next in the queue and then again when it is actually their turn. That way, they have time to drop out if they want without confusion. Although it might be kind of a lot of PMs. Think you can handle it, Oarlock?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Daveyo520

Yeah we should get this thing rolling.

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shofixti

@Zombie_Shakespeare said:

@Shofixti said:

Seconded, except for short history. Why bother? The generation time won't be that much different, and it's not like we're in an incredible rush anyway.

Since this is really taking off, though, OP should PM people on the list whenever the game starts, whenever they are next in the queue and then again when it is actually their turn. That way, they have time to drop out if they want without confusion. Although it might be kind of a lot of PMs. Think you can handle it, Oarlock?

The Only reason I thought of Short history is because I personally love Megamonsters and that's when you found them most often. (Or I think it is anyway? Don't quote me on that)

Kinda bummed that I'm so far down the roster... But hey, at least there's a chance I'll end up playing.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Daveyo520

@Shofixti: He should randomize the order somehow.

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shofixti

@Daveyo520 said:

Well obviously I'd love that. But hey, it's up to him. I can imagine some of the others near the top would be none-to-happy.

@Sankis said:

I'd join your Dwarf Fortress succession game if something gets off the ground. I haven't played in ages, though.

Dude... Your not... THE Sankis, are you?

Also, if this doesn't get off the ground sometime in the next little while, I'd be happy to start it up myself. God knows I've got the free time now.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Daveyo520

@Shofixti: Yeah I don't see why it can't happen with or without the OP. You can just stay in the same thread and keep it going.

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shofixti

@Daveyo520 said:

@Shofixti: Yeah I don't see why it can't happen with or without the OP. You can just stay in the same thread and keep it going.

I'll give him some time first. If I was him, I'd hate to come back to this and see some other random bloke running my idea.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Daveyo520

@Shofixti: Well of course we will let him do it. I was just saying if eventually enough time passes. This is the farthest one of these has gotten on here.

Sankis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By Sankis

@Shofixti said:

@Daveyo520 said:

Well obviously I'd love that. But hey, it's up to him. I can imagine some of the others near the top would be none-to-happy.

@Sankis said:

Dude... Your not... THE Sankis, are you?

Also, if this doesn't get off the ground sometime in the next little while, I'd be happy to start it up myself. God knows I've got the free time now.

The one and only.

ThineOarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ThineOarlock

Hey Folks, sorry for the delay, work killed me this week.

I will Generate a world tonight and look at some spots i think might be decent. Then I'll put the world up on rapid share or something if you guys want to looks around!

Zombie_Shakespeare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ThineOarlock said:

Hey Folks, sorry for the delay, work killed me this week.

I will Generate a world tonight and look at some spots i think might be decent. Then I'll put the world up on rapid share or something if you guys want to looks around!

Awesome.

I built my new computer just in time.

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Shofixti

I'd love to look at that map if it ever gets posted

Zombie_Shakespeare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess he got busy again.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jesterroyal

@Zombie_Shakespeare said:

I guess he got busy again.

Looks like it. Seems to be the story of every succession fort. Are people still interested in playing this? If so i think those who are should figure out if they need to move forward without him or start another fort thread to run a different fort at the same time while he gets a little less busy (And i totally understand having crud to do and not having time for a game).

Seaborgium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Seaborgium

Why don't we say, once a week passes, the next person is allowed to start? If another week passes, then the next person can start, and so on. If it gets really bad, we can refresh the list and ask everyone whether they're still in (and ask for new players as well).

Shofixti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Shofixti

I'm going to start a new thread about this Tomorrow, after (hopefully) there's another DF video here on Giant Bomb and interest is high.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.