Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dying Light

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 27, 2015

Dying Light is a first-person, open world game set in a zombie apocalypse. The player character is able to free-run to get around the environment quickly.

It's still Dead Island I think?

akss421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I mean the night time mechanic is pretty awesome and I really think the did an all right with the parkour. But from what little I've gotten to play and what I've seen isn't it still Dead Island?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Yeah, it's probably still Dead Island, with a slightly different tone, and day/night mechanics. Not sure this is worth an entire thread, but yeah.

Seriously, fuck Techland. I know you miraculously had this one pretty successful game even though it was half broken and everything past the first resort area was ill conceived. But c'mon, give the zombie thing a rest.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

But c'mon, give the zombie thing a rest.

Everyone should give the zombie thing a rest. It's done.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The lack of coverage or anything about it makes me worried that Deep Silver is embargoing the shit out of it until release day, that's not a good sign.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously, fuck Techland. I know you miraculously had this one pretty successful game even though it was half broken and everything past the first resort area was ill conceived. But c'mon, give the zombie thing a rest.

Hear, hear. The first half of the first game was awesome and every piece of DLC and game since then has been more of the shitty, latter half of that game. What the fuck is wrong with those people?

And yes, fucking stop with the zombies already.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder

Wait, Techland make games? I completely forgot, I just thought they made cool trailers.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Its a bummer because Call of Juarez: Gunslinger was fuckin' rad but they keep driving the concept of a melee-focused zombie game into the ground. I mean, if this controls well then parkouring around bashing zombies might be fun but they really need to spread their wings and move on.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't have the awesome analog combat from dead island though, which is a really huge bummer imo.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

The lack of coverage or anything about it makes me worried that Deep Silver is embargoing the shit out of it until release day, that's not a good sign.

That is overly optimistic. According to Arthur Gies no one has even received review code of the game yet.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You give me the first part of dead island again and im down. That said I'm not down for 60$ worth. Maybe 40

Salvationtwist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Salvationtwist

from what i did see it seems good

i donno but the feeling of the game and story actually make me feel something

im optimistic

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked what I played at E3, frankly, and this is coming from someone who was seriously unimpressed with the first Dead Island. This one controls a LOT better, feels good, and exploration felt more meaningful. I only played it for about 15 minutes, though, so who really knows. All I can say is I am optimistic.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin said:

I liked what I played at E3, frankly, and this is coming from someone who was seriously unimpressed with the first Dead Island. This one controls a LOT better, feels good, and exploration felt more meaningful. I only played it for about 15 minutes, though, so who really knows. All I can say is I am optimistic.

what is this... optimism? i've heard so little about it around here...

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin said:

what is this... optimism? i've heard so little about it around here...

Sarcastically mocking a dearth of optimism is a self-defeating pursuit.

Or "do unto others" or some shit.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
    @bisonhero said:

But c'mon, give the zombie thing a rest.

Everyone should give the zombie thing a rest. It's done.

The zombie thing isn't done. If it was done then they wouldn't be selling zombie games hand over fist. You might be tired of them but that is a different thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like some of what I've seen, the guys over at XboxAchievements have been doing some Let's Play of it, haven't watched too much of it though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@beachthunder: Ironically Techland didn't even make that cool Dead Island trailer.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@arabes: Creatively done, not financially so.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum said:

It doesn't have the awesome analog combat from dead island though, which is a really huge bummer imo.

That stinks. Analog combat was the best thing about the game.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna said:

That is overly optimistic. According to Arthur Gies no one has even received review code of the game yet.

Dying Light isn't Deep Silver, it's WB, but Techland is developing it. Deep Silver, however, is putting out a Dead Island 2 developed by Yager.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum said:

That stinks. Analog combat was the best thing about the game.

yep, it was the one thing that kept me playing to the end and made me love the game because the story and characters were just terrible, I don't understand how people managed to stick with it using that boring digital combat.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: Huh, I stand corrected. Still though, the lack of any coverage on the game is still very troubling. I guess we'll just have to wait and see in a few days.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna: Yeah totally, I wasn't trying to refute your point or anything. I'm just going to tell myself the publisher wanted to be super secretive on this one. I hope this isn't disappointing.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Garfield518
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna said:

Not sending out review copies for a game is probably the worst sign of a game's quality. They've sent some codes to some Youtubers, but that doesn't mean much and is apparently not the final code?

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

signs are bad. wait for reviews y'all

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It looks to me like Dead Island with some parkour, and that's it...

The first game was alright, I managed to complete the whole game and do all the side quests, but it wasn't amazing. It just got a tad boring after a while.

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By kmg90

I had similar thoughts too while getting into the first few hours of the game, the games have very similar structures and interfaces (Right down to how the online co-op stuff works)

Until I decided to pop in my PS3 version of dead island

I can say without a doubt Dying Light is different enough but can definitely be considered Dead Island 2 (which is still yet to be released by Deep Silver and the Crackdown Spec Ops developer later this year)

They both have

• same "stamina bar" that appears in the middle of the screen when fighting/meleeing
    • the kick functionality is essentially the same as the initial version of Dead Island (kicking doesn't drain stamina nor does using a kick abilities, this was changed post release on Dead Island)
    • the targeting specific body parts with cross hairs is pretty much identical

The things that are different/added/improved

• Movement has been overhauled significantly (just overall on foot movement)
    • Parkour is well done and adds layers to what would otherwise be pretty lame "playground"
    • Day and Night cycle with special zombies appearing in more logical context rather (at night) than just at static locations, any time, all the time in Dead Island
    • Repairing/crafting/upgrading weapons "in the field", weapons can be repaired with "metal" which the weapon literally gets metal added as a "repair" (a almost broken baseball bat will have metal bands added as a repair)
    • Random events reoccur and are mostly of the time not tied to quest (like in Dead Island)
    • Sprinting does not drain "stamina for combat"

Things that have been removed and arguably should have been kept

• Analog Combat is not available
    • The ability to be different characters (when in co-op everyone is playing the same Chris Redfield-looking dude that can change into 4-5 outfits unlocked throughout the game)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.