Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2010

Concept »

The 2010 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 15-17.

Notable abcenses at E3 press conferences

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Rhaknar

So, all major companies had their big press conferences now. Time to think back at the games you just went "where the fuck is that and why isnt it at the press conference". Here are mine:

Microsoft

Crackdown 2 - The game comes out next month, and you dont pimp it out for at least 2 or 3 minutes at E3? Sending it out to die it seems.
    Milo - I guess it was just a tech demo after all and not actually a game?

Sony

Last Guardian - Wasn't this supposed to be a big deal for Sony? Hopefully they are saving it for TGS or something. And for those that thought it was coming out in 2010...
    Final Fantasy Versus XIII - Will this become the new GT5 (since GT5 has a release date now)? Not even a mention, and they mentioned 14.
    The Agent - So 1 year later, and not even a logo or mention this time...ok then.

Nintendo

Pikmin - Hasn't this been in development for over a year now (at least?).

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By penguindust
    I'd also add.  
    • Hulu on consoles
    • Wii-Vitality

I expect that Crackdown 2 is on the show floor and I think Rock Star Studios said they were scaling back their presentations this year, so no Agent at the conferences.  I think Nintendo (for once) offered a lot, so I can't criticize them. 
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By carlthenimrod

I was expecting a PSP 2 at this point. Boy, was I wrong.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The new PS3 SKUs

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Rhaknar said:
    " So, all major companies had their big press conferences now. Time to think back at the games you just went "where the fuck is that and why isnt it at the press conference". Here are mine:

Microsoft

Crackdown 2 - The game comes out next month, and you dont pimp it out for at least 2 or 3 minutes at E3? Sending it out to die it seems.
    Milo - I guess it was just a tech demo after all and not actually a game?

Sony

Last Guardian - Wasn't this supposed to be a big deal for Sony? Hopefully they are saving it for TGS or something. And for those that thought it was coming out in 2010...
    Final Fantasy Versus XIII - Will this become the new GT5 (since GT5 has a release date now)? Not even a mention, and they mentioned 14.
    The Agent - So 1 year later, and not even a logo or mention this time...ok then.

Nintendo  Pikmin - Hasn't this been in development for over a year now (at least?). "
    If you research it. Milo was "fake" He never infact looks at the women. Among other issues. 
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By carlthenimrod

The lack of pricing for Kinect was also sorely lacking.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    • Kinect pricing
    • The Last Guardian
    • Resistance 3
    • Bully 2
    • Final Fantasy Versus XIII
    • Crackdown 2
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By AndrewB

Nintendo didn't announce the 3DS remakes of Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64, assuming those are indeed real. Nor the new Pokemon games, Black and White.

And yep, lack of Kinect pricing info so far is worrying, to say the least. Unless they're just trying to keep that info from their competitors since it doesn't launch any time soon.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By ChickenPants

Crackdown was mentioned or at least a picture was shown.

The Sony things on the other hand were completely absent.Strange, though I guess they have a lot on their plate. I expected some Starhawk and Resistance too. Looks like they're doing the smart thing by preventing the Resistance and Killzone publicity cycles cross over again though.Heavy Rain wasn't even at the press conference last year.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#10  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Most of the companies from my MIA list will no doubt have announcements at TGS.  But yeah, the lack of Crackdown 2 was definitely odd.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AndrewB

No Dead Rising 2, either.

Scottish_Sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scottish_Sin

As far as the Milo thing goes, didn't they talk about that last night on the podcast? They mentioned that it probably morphed into that whole Kinectamals thing we have now since it's a lot less creepy with cutesy animals than it was with a boy. That makes the most sense to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No mention of the word pokemon.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheKidNixon

I'm pretty sure that Milo morphed into Skittles.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FateOfNever

I could see Last Guardian being more of a TGS thing; with as much stuff as they already had to show off, they probably figured that it would appeal more to the Japanese/Eastern market than it would to the western market.  

FFV13 is probably also something to save more for TGS as well, that or it's just not far along enough yet.  As for why FF14 would have gotten a shout out over FFv13, my only guess is that FF14 is probably set to launch before FFv13?  Or maybe they're afraid that after people start realizing that FFv13 actually has nothing to do with FF13 that people will become less interested in the game or something like that.  Who knows.  Well, besides marketing.  Marketing probably knows why so many games got left off.

For Nintendo - Maybe the project is still not a sure thing?  Honestly, I was far more disappointed that they didn't come out and say something like "And the entire Mother series is coming to the virtual console." with all of their "we're going back and bringing you all of these old games that people keep asking us for/about!"  I mean, sure, it's totally unlikely and a total dream that the series will ever make it over seas, but, they were pulling out so many other stops... 

Oh, and right, Microsoft.  Um... honestly, they were so focused on Kinect, I'm surprised anything else got any air time at all.

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By nok
    @Rhaknar:  Yeah no Last Guardian is such a big bummer. That first trailer really made me hope they were a bit further along than they probably are or maybe they are holding it and making it "perfect". Well, maybe we'll see something later.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rhaknar
    @AndrewB said:
    " No Dead Rising 2, either. "
    that's a Capcom multi platform thing. It could have been in a press conference, but it wasn't expected
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By endaround

FF XIII Versus was a known no  show, but the lack of Last Guardian is strange. 

Also nothing about Ni no Kuni but it isn't a 1st party title

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jimbo

No Toobin' 2 WTF?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By penguindust

I think now that Microsoft knows how much the Move is going for, they'll price in the same area.  Since a camera-controller-game kit costs $99, I bet Microsoft will off a Kinect & game bundle for about the same or slightly less adding in that you don't need more expensive controllers to play their multiplayer games. 

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AndrewB

@Rhaknar:  As a formerly 360-only game, it's notable to me. Showing off notable 3rd party titles, even in a montage, seems a good idea. It wouldn't have been the only multiplatform title they showed.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By endaround
    @PenguinDust: But its really $130.  And $50-80 for each additional person.  Though I'm not sure MS can get that across.  
    Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Rayeth
    @TripMasterMunky said:
    " No mention of the word pokemon. "
    I might call this notable in a good way.  Unless they were planning on announcing some sort of MAJOR shift in the Franchise I don't need to hear anything about new colored art for the same game I've been playing since 2000.
    csadaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By csadaft

i still hoping for shenmue 3, sad i know. I read that F zero was supposed to make an appearance.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By penguindust
    @endaround:  Exactly, $200 for a 2-player set up on Playstation Move, but I think Microsoft will try and hammer that hidden-cost fact home however it remains to be seen if they can.  After all, consumers may look at the actual price of the Move and say "Well, it costs a lot but I am getting hands-on hardware for my money as opposed to air like in Kinect".  We'll see over time, but the real impact will be if gamers and non-gamers have that "Oh, you gotta try this" moment between them that we saw on the Wii when it launched.  That's what sells consoles and that's what sells peripherals. 
    whitehowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By whitehowler

I was surprised that Rock Band 3 wasn't shown at any of the conferences (well, mainly Microsoft's). 

Harmonix has always been a crowd-pleaser during the MS press event, and given that they just announced details on Rock Band 3 this past week, I was expecting them to be a spectacle at E3 this year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.