Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2011

Concept »

The 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 7-9.

Why does the crew get so angry about E3?

• 65 results
    pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pigmartyr

So listening to all the E3 casts and Jeff repeatedly mentioned snatching credentials and kicking people out of E3, and i'm just wondering why the resentment towards excited game fans attending the show. I understand its an industry show and technically people not in the industry shouldn't be attending, but just because some guy wants some free stuff does that really make him "that asshole"? Media gets appointment time with the devs, private hands on time, exclusive looks that arent shown on the floor, and in general much more than your average attendee. The free stuff, all the pomp and circumstance surrounding the show, as well as the multiple shows within a show would lead me to believe that this isn't that unusual, and almost encouraged.  I'm just an average joe, but I wanna discuss games with the people that make them and have hands on time with the games before they are released. is it really that wrong for someone who is enthusiastic about gaming to find a way to attend?

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By dragonzord

Being enthusiastic about stuff isn't cool, man

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DelroyLindo

Jeff is a twat

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @zoner said:

Being enthusiastic about stuff isn't cool, man

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Skytylz

They're jaded mother fuckers!  It's a job not a hobby anymore.  

Twazuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Twazuk

Because for the press, E3 can be a very stressful time, so they need some one to relieve stress upon. And seeing a bunch of guys clamoring to get free shit just to pawn on eBay is depressing.

Those kinds of people shouldn't be there.

Edit: Also, they host Pax for those people. E3 isn't Pax.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I think their view is probably that it's supposed to be for press, and that stuff like PAX is where all the enthusiasts should be going. Too many people there make the lines long and prevent the 'important people' (who need to report on this shit, it's their job) from playing all the games and getting the time they need for interviews.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Shadow

They've become so jaded about the constant stream of free stuff and exclusive access being mailed to them from publishers that they can't understand why people get so excited over a shirt or poster or keychain. They don't realize that what has long since become trash in their eyes (Jeff and Ryan especially) is a priceless keepsake to people who PR reps have never heard of and aren't fawning over to cover their game.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mnzy

I've seen people that basically come for the free stuff. I think that is dumb.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sooty

I'd be pretty angry if I had to sit through that Microsoft conference too.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fishmicmuffin

Think about the hours that they are working during that week. They have shit lined up for all hours of the day and they get very little sleep. I wouldn't be very happy about having to do that no matter what it was that I was doing.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Sambambo

@Shadow said:

They've become so jaded about the constant stream of free stuff and exclusive access being mailed to them from publishers that they can't understand why people get so excited over a shirt or poster or keychain. They don't realize that what has long since become trash in their eyes (Jeff and Ryan especially) is a priceless keepsake to people who PR reps have never heard of and aren't fawning over to cover their game.

Anyone who gets excited over a free keychain or poster is someone to be avoided.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Because they're not there to have fun and they have to wait in the same game line as some dope who has no real business there in the fight to be one of the first to post impressions.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DeeGee

There are a bunch of shows, such as PAX, that have an enormous bunch of developers there showing off unreleased games. The difference is, you don't need to "find a way in" to these type of things, since they are designed for you. The very nature of "finding a way in" shows that you realise you're not supposed to be there, but you want to break the rules anyway.

I don't think any of us know actually how stressful it is to work E3, but the simple fact that they were livestreaming until 2am and they were up by 8am means there's barely any sleep. That would piss me off a ton. It's meeting after meeting after getting a taxi to the next meeting after another. Just going to E3, chilling with some developers is not what goes on there.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shadow
    @SuperSambo said:

@Shadow said:

Anyone who gets excited over a free keychain or poster is someone to be avoided.

And their apathy is contagious. Something I forgot to mention before is that many of these people can only afford to go to one show every few years. They don't get all expenses paid trips or time off from work for a week to attend all of them. Unlike the GB crew who are more or less obliged to cover all 5+ big shows per year, this is the first and quite possibly only large video game event that many of these people will ever go to and something people like Jeff who never missed a show often forgets is that the first time you go to one of these things, the experience is downright fucking magical.
    paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By paradox121
    @Shadow said:
    @SuperSambo said:

@Shadow said:

And their apathy is contagious. Something I forgot to mention before is that many of these people can only afford to go to one show every few years. They don't get all expenses paid trips or time off from work for a week to attend all of them. Unlike the GB crew who are more or less obliged to cover all 5+ big shows per year, this is the first and quite possibly only large video game event that many of these people will ever go to and something people like Jeff who never missed a show often forgets is that the first time you go to one of these things, the experience is downright fucking magical.
    Definitely agree. I'll happily put my hand up and say I'd be one of those jerks getting free crap and running around like a loon because it's probably something I'd only experience once in a lifetime. For them, it's an annual thing; I imagine seeing people who clearly blagged their way in doing their best to get a free badge just looks idiotic. I think generally there's a big dichotomy between journalists and average people that's becoming more and more apparent. I'm still one of those people who thinks paying full price for a 'short' game like Child of Eden is pointless, in spite of the quality, because it's just too damn brief, while journalists are more likely to just enjoy the experience and rate the game on that. But that's a whole other matter. Fact is, when you see people acting crazy and greedy in a place that you're non-plussed by, you get easily annoyed by them.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#17  Edited By EpicSteve

Ask yourself these questions:

Have you ever had a job?

What are the challenges you face during everyday work?

Would your job be dramatically easier solving easy problems?

The crew is there to work, but Joe gets in their way by doing nothing but taking up space.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By coakroach

They got a lot of professional shit to do and they have to deal with crowds of unwashed masses at the same time. 
    I'd be pretty pissed off too.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By tourgen
    @paradox121 said:

Definitely agree. I'll happily put my hand up and say I'd be one of those jerks getting free crap and running around like a loon because it's probably something I'd only experience once in a lifetime. For them, it's an annual thing; I imagine seeing people who clearly blagged their way in doing their best to get a free badge just looks idiotic. I think generally there's a big dichotomy between journalists and average people that's becoming more and more apparent. I'm still one of those people who thinks paying full price for a 'short' game like Child of Eden is pointless, in spite of the quality, because it's just too damn brief, while journalists are more likely to just enjoy the experience and rate the game on that. But that's a whole other matter. Fact is, when you see people acting crazy and greedy in a place that you're non-plussed by, you get easily annoyed by them.

nicely said

love the avatar pic.  tasteful choice.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MysteriousBob

Extra work is fun, right? 

As for those people who take all the free stuff, I'd hate some freeloaders getting in the way of my job too.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Trade Shows. Not for people who aren't in the trade.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Loose
    @SeriouslyNow said:

Trade Shows. Not for people who aren't in the trade.

This. If you're an enthusiast, you can go to PAX.
    paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By paradox121
    @tourgen said:
    @paradox121 said:

nicely said  love the avatar pic.  tasteful choice.
    It's a common known fact only the most supreme human beings have Brock avatar pictures on a video game forum for no apparent reason.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By penguindust

I don't think they were that angry.  Just really exhausted.  People act and say things when they're really tired that they wouldn't otherwise.  Besides, driving from LA to SF is a chore and I'm sure none of them were looking forward to that hassle at the end of the show.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25  Edited By natetodamax

@pigmartyr said:

I'm just an average joe, but I wanna discuss games with the people that make them and have hands on time with the games before they are released. is it really that wrong for someone who is enthusiastic about gaming to find a way to attend?

You can easily go to PAX for that. I talked to Greg Kasavin when I went.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BladeOfCreation
    @pigmartyr: Yeah, those podcasts started to get pretty annoying.  The worst part is they seem to bitch about Average Joe being there, but then fall all over themselves talking about actors, singers, or J.J Abrams being there.
    Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BladeOfCreation

The claim that the average person gets in the way of their work there is not really valid--the media has access to developers in a way other people don't.  It's not like they have to wait in a line of regular duders for the chance to interview Ken Levine, and they can often skip lines to see games because they have appointments.

If E3 is an industry-only show, it makes no sense for them to allow tens of thousands of people to attend, with numbers rivaling PAX.  Are there really tens of thousands of gaming journalists?  Come on now.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By crusader8463
    For many people E3 is still THE mecca of gaming. I know back before E3 was live streamed and the only place I knew about it was when reading my special edition EGM every year and them making it sound like it was the holy land of all that is gaming. For a lot of people that grew up with stuff like that going to E3 and getting all those posters and key chains are keep sakes that they will be able to hold onto for years and remember their time at E3. 

For the guys it's just that week every year where they have to get off their asses and walk around for a few days and do some physical work for once. So to them it's just a pain the ass because they have done it so many times.
    Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shadow said:

@SuperSambo said:

@Shadow said:

Thats what PAX Prime and PAX East are for. E3 is not the place for those people.

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By Wildfire570
    @Ygg said:
    I'd be pretty angry if I had to sit through that Microsoft conference too.
    Don't forget the Ubisoft conference too with Mr Caffeine.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @EpicSteve said:

Ask yourself these questions:

Have you ever had a job?

What are the challenges you face during everyday work?

Would your job be dramatically easier solving easy problems?

The crew is there to work, but Joe gets in their way by doing nothing but taking up space.

This. E3 is supposed to be an industry event. If the people in the industry can't do their job because "Yo dawg I want a free Nintendo pen" Joe is stopping in the middle of foot traffic to take pictures of both babes and taking up line space in line to play a demo of game he has no interest in only so he can brag to his friends, what do you expect them to do? I wouldn't be smiling about going to E3 everyday either.

@fishmicmuffin said:

Think about the hours that they are working during that week. They have shit lined up for all hours of the day and they get very little sleep. I wouldn't be very happy about having to do that no matter what it was that I was doing.

And also this. Assuming they plan on arriving at the same time everyday, that night they did the 5 hour podcast, that means they got 4-5 hours of sleep at most. Having to go through that only to deal with the first problem I mentioned all day long would ruin any working man's day.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Maybe I misunderstood things, but the impression that I got was that Jeff was mad at JOURNALISTS who wanted free crap, not fans.  Some dumbass runs a gaming blog where he rates everything between a 7.5 and a 9.9, he's supposed to have some integrity, and spends more time at E3 collecting free shit than looking at games.  

It's the "enthusiast press" that I believe Jeff has issues with, not so much a random fan who happens to get tickets to what is, primarily, a trade show. 

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By GS_Dan

@Twazuk said:

E3 isn't Pax.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Shadow
    @Manhattan_Project said:

@Shadow said:

@SuperSambo said:

@Shadow said:

Thats what PAX Prime and PAX East are for. E3 is not the place for those people.

So E3 should be an elitist club where only those lucky enough to be paid to cover video games are allowed to go?
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Brendan

The crew wasn't bagging on all regular folks, only the aggressively annoying ones that are there clearly just for free shit. It's hard to describe it in text, but you know the difference between the average person going to PAX and the kind of person I'm talking about (and the kind of person Jeff and Ryan were not fans of). It's the same kind of person that tries to sprint in 15 before the show closes without a pass. Just annoying.

pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pigmartyr

So I think this is parallel to the annoyance that celebrities face going out in public. i've met my share of famous folks and I'm always very grateful for the work they do that I'm a fan of, but im not a blubbering idiot about it. Dude is out with his family having lunch i dont just pull up a chair at his table and act like we are best friends. I'll wait for an opportune moment to say hi, what you do is awesome and go on about my business. No pictures, no autograph, no nothing. 

The difference is that when you goto a book signing, or a venue for that type of behavior and those celebs get annoyed. It's that tone that I feel from the crew in this one. I mean i think alot of poster have hit it on the head. Its a "magical" experience the first time you go. You arent likely to ever go again. They make it a huge spectacle for a reason. All I'm saying is don't hate on the average joe who may be having the time of his life at an event that you'd rather not be at, just because you are over E3. 

I plan on going to future PAX  and Cali Exterme events and attending the panels/get togethers and so on and its stuff like in the podcasts that makes me not want to, or think twice about interacting with the GB crew. 

Maybe its just me reading too much into it.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kmdrkul

God help them if a few people make the lines longer to play Battlefield 3 at E3.  I mean, these guys "report" on fucking video games for a living  -they all know they're living a dream job.  Just pure snobbiness on their part, IMO.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

Well, E3, the real E3, not the locked down, restricted, booth babeless, sanitized version they had a few years ago, has always been like that--sometimes even worse. It's a "media circus" in every way. If you can't handle the "madding crowd" when you get there, you should avail yourself of the first exit, and, please, don't touch the booth babes, on the way out, they show every mark.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @pigmartyr: The Bombcast crew complained about many things concerning E3 on the Bombcasts, but fans bothering them was never one of those complaints.
    Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shadow said:

@Manhattan_Project said:

@Shadow said:

@SuperSambo said:

@Shadow said:

So E3 should be an elitist club where only those lucky enough to be paid to cover video games are allowed to go?

Elitist? WTF? ITS THEIR JOB!

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

I want a job being an Elitist, I'd be good at it.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Shadow
    @Manhattan_Project said:

@Shadow said:

@Manhattan_Project said:

@Shadow said:

@SuperSambo said:

@Shadow said:

Elitist? WTF? ITS THEIR JOB!

Saying "it's our job so we get to go" and "it's our job so ONLY we get to go" are two very different things. Sure the big names get exclusive meetings, interviews and stuff like that, but that's only a small portion of what E3 really is.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

E3 is a trade show, which means that it's to be attended by people who work in that specific trade.  That is the intent of the organizers who run the show.  It's no more elitist than you not being allowed in the walmart break room.

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sarkhan

@Skytylz said:

They're jaded mother fuckers! It's a job not a hobby anymore.

I'm sad to say, but i truly belive in this now :S

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By carlthenimrod

They're just bitching about their job as any other human being frequently does.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

How true, and it IS so demeaning to be forced to rub elbows with commoners. That's the always been the problem with uplifting the masses---they start to believe it themselves.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Dany

They clearly hate fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shadow said:

Yes. Some buttmonkey manning the register at Gamestop or some dude running some fanboy blog fawning over whatever gets released (Especially if he scores a wicked keychain) shouldn't be their and disrupt one iota of the time the people who the show is SPECIFICALLY made for. Whether that's investors, journos or real managers at stores chains.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

That's what PAX is for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah, fuck STephen Spielberg, JJ Abrams and that dude from Chuck for being there as well unless they were to be involved with any games or having any meetings.

Spielberg especially, bringing his fucking brat along.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.