Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2012

Concept »

The 2012 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 5-7.

Nintendo Conference - Debacle or Not?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Seppli

Not one single crowd outburst of genuine enthusiasm. Nintendo ran this shit into the wall big time. They showed nothing noteworthy. WiiU as it stands brings nothing unique and must-have to the table. If it does, they failed to convey that.

Big time debacle in my book. They needed to 'WOW!' us, and they didn't.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By triple07

Debacle? No. Good? Also no.

Avatar image for nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor
    nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt like there was something missing from all the conferences.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

They're losing their 'hardcore' fans this generation for sure.

All I'm saying.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By galiant

It was incredibly boring throughout, except for Reggie's jokes. They were pretty good.

Two tablets is a good thing, but I've yet to see them do anything interesting with them. Also, IR? I guess I'm not taking my game with me to the toilet after all.

Jugglerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Jugglerman

Can't say that I have much experience, it seemed lackluster but not debacle. All the demos worked, but there wasn't much excitment.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By theoldhouse

yup I'm out

E3 hasn't been worth it for years, I really feel sorry for those who pay to go.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@nomorehalfmeasures said:

I felt like there was something missing from all the conferences.

It's a thing called: new video games.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By TheHBK

Sony's was clearly the best. Just keeping the move in a corner and getting a huge harry potter fan base on board. The great games they showed off. Needed more Vita but good stuff.

MS, clearly intent on showing us what innovations and changes they are bringing to the media experience. Good from a business standpoint because they don't just do games and most people buying a 360 today are in it for everything it can do, not just games. They know games sell themselves. Halo 4 looks amazing.

Nitendo just done fucked up. They have a new system, new stuff they can blow the crowd away with. They needed to announce prices, specs, details on how the system works, more tablets?, online gaming. Fuck man, they were all alone to just throw out details. Fucking idiots. Blew a chance to take over and didn't take it. Japan man, that is what I will say. They talked about it, that culture fucks em over.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By cornbredx

I wouldn't call it a debacle. That would indicate it was some kind of trainwreck and it really wasn't. It was professional, but revealed very little- nothing all that exciting.

The WIIU is not super special, and only time will tell if it does anything interesting. Overall only cool thing to come out of any of the conferences was game announcements and some games they showed.

There's nothing special happening with Hardware. Although, that's probably because I'm jaded- I don't know.

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bigdaddy81

With Nintendo launching a new system this year, they really needed something to wow the audience and make them enthusiastic for the Wii U. I believe they failed miserably and therefore this conference can accurately be labelled a debacle.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By MooseyMcMan

No. What they had to show wasn't that great, but I'd say it was the best presentation in terms of presentation. No mess ups, no super long periods of boring-ness (though Regie did drag on a bit once or twice).

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JJOR64

More live demos would have been better. It was an OK press conference.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AgnosticJesus

Not a debacle, E3 lost its luster and excitement years ago. Gone are the days of shit your pants, mind blowing announcements. Maybe next year with the new Xbox and PS will reverse the trend but probably not.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Pikmin 3 was a fantastic start and it was good to see Paper Mario. Everything else was underwhelming like no shit they would have their own "Wii Sports" for the Wii U to show what the system can do. Would of loved a price, date, a 3D non New Super Mario Bros Mario game, and any of their other IPs.

Disappointing...

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By ImpendingFoil

I'm always up for new Mario games and I've wanted more Luigi's Mansion for years so those parts were not super terrible. It was not a bad show, better than Microsoft to me since all they really had was Halo 4 and a bunch of apps I do not care for or use can use better elsewhere. They just needed to show more of their core franchises for the Wii-U, even if those games would not be coming for a few years time.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

It was far from a complete debacle I'd say. The first 1/3 of the show was actually decent.

It was the last 2/3s of the show and the fact that Nintendo didn't go over the important elements of price point, release date, and system specs that pissed everyone off. >_<

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By TheKing

E3 isn't really for us anymore sadly.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By pr1mus

I am always completely indifferent about Nintendo but one thing you hear every year is the crowd cheering all the time. That didn't happen this year and they had a goddamn new console to show.

Yes, debacle.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By jjnen

Neither. Just meh.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Sooty

They lost me when they implied people wanted to play Arkham City on Wii-U even though most of that room played it last year.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By 49th

I thought all the conferences were fine. Nothing amazing, nothing terrible.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Galiant said:

It was incredibly boring throughout, except for Reggie's jokes. They were pretty good.

That was my thought. Thanks for being a good sport Reggie, but god damn, where were all the games?

Honestly, how did Nintendo walk away from that conference without showing any of the great Nintendo franchises people come to the platform for? A rehash 2D Mario game that looks practically the same as the Wii version, and a new Pikmin (Which looks fairly good). Is that really it? Those were the big guns? That's what is supposed to get people's blood moving?

I don't understand what is going on at Nintendo. Why wouldn't they show some concept trailers for a new Mario, or Metroid, or Zelda, or something! Even if they aren't going to be launch titles, show something! NintendoLand isn't going to win you any fans over the age of 13.

SpanxMcFranks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SpanxMcFranks

I didn't think it was that bad, there was some stuff that got me interested in a Wii U. I am really curious about the 3DS games they will show tomorrow.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By KaneRobot

Did nothing to sell me on the Wii U. Pretty lackluster.

Congrats to Ubisoft for "winning" E3. What the hell?

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By Tackchevy

The early insight kind of ruins the thrill you're wanting. If you are a Nintendo person at all, if you weren't already aware of Pikmin 3 and all of the other stuff that they trotted out, you would be stoked. This is just the state of news. You already know everything before it happens. There are few genuine surprises. If we hadn't already been inundated with Halo 4 info, the announcement would have been a pants crapper.

I wish Nintendo trotted out Galaxy 3, a new Metroid, Zelda, and some other new mindfuck IP. But they know that E3 is what it is. That stuff will come later in their own private events, down the line.

Now, I was disappointed with no release date, no price, no hardware specs. They could've at least thrown that bone. Other than that, the age of the megaton is clearly over. I blame you, Internet!

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bigdaddy81

@TheKing said:

E3 isn't really for us anymore sadly.

That is the sad, sad truth.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By Claude

I'm still going to buy a WiiU day one, but that conference left me scratching my head.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By TehFlan

Pikmin, Scribblenauts, and LEGO all look great, and I like Mario games. The conference certainly wasn't what I was hoping for, but there's enough there to have me casually excited for the Wii U. Not enough that I've committed to buying one yet, but I'm sure that'll happen eventually.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By DarthOrange

Don't speak ill of Nintendo or Reggie will eat your heart!

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jmfinamore

@BrockNRolla said:

I don't understand what is going on at Nintendo. Why wouldn't they show some concept trailers for a new Mario, or Metroid, or Zelda, or something! Even if they aren't going to be launch titles, show something! NintendoLand isn't going to win you any fans over the age of 13.

Yea this is what I don't get. At least some teaser trailers to show off the power of the system or maybe some potential uses. People would have been thrilled with a Space World 2000(2?)-esque Zelda short to be honest.

And the lack of concrete details was odd too. I guess they're going to have their own event or wait for the Tokyo Game Show? Not sure why.

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By Tackchevy

The Puppet Master is already in control of this thread.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Insectecutor

We got some games you played before, some games we can't explain, and we got Mario. You're suckers, right?

Debacle is a bit strong, it was just boring. I guess it was nice knowing you, Nintendo. This was their chance and they blew it.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By McGhee

Just as I thought it was going to be: completely lackluster.

Wake me up when the new consoles are released. (I'm not including Wii U in that statement, of course)

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I'm just wondering why they did not announce any prices or release dates except for "this holiday." Their conference was the perfect time to announce everything yet they did so little or nothing at all to excite potential consumers.

Actionelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Actionelly

@TheHBK said:

Sony's was clearly the best. Just keeping the move in a corner and getting a huge harry potter fan base on board. The great games they showed off. Needed more Vita but good stuff.

MS, clearly intent on showing us what innovations and changes they are bringing to the media experience. Good from a business standpoint because they don't just do games and most people buying a 360 today are in it for everything it can do, not just games. They know games sell themselves. Halo 4 looks amazing.

Nitendo just done fucked up. They have a new system, new stuff they can blow the crowd away with. They needed to announce prices, specs, details on how the system works, more tablets?, online gaming. Fuck man, they were all alone to just throw out details. Fucking idiots. Blew a chance to take over and didn't take it. Japan man, that is what I will say. They talked about it, that culture fucks em over.

I agree I think Sony's was the best this year. I was really disappointed with Nintendo, they failed showing off the Wii U and the controllers capabilites. The best part about Nintendo's conference was Shigeru's giant smile. :D They need to let the developers come out on stage more and enough with these suit wearing CEO's. It just looks like all business and no play.

I also agree that Halo 4 looks great and I am also excited about Tomb Raider. Overall though, PS3 had the most interesting games to show and free shit to boot.

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By aspaceinvader

Is it me or have nintendo run out of ideas?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

We already have a thread on the Nintendo conference up here. There's no need for this conversation to be duplicated.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By theveej

Based on the other conferences not a debacle, based on the fact that Wii U is launching this year.... huge debacle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.