Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2013

Concept »

The nineteenth annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center on June 11-13, 2013.

Microsoft's E3 2013 Press Briefing: Silent But Deadly

sstwrt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@toosweet said:

Well, nothing of interest for me except for Titanfall. That looks great. But if it's on the PC I may just go in that direction. Looking forward to hear what Sony has in store.

They announced it as an Xbox One exclusive.

naeblis213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By naeblis213

Two words and I'll have to buy the system that holds it: Persona 5.

Deckard42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They definitely had a lot of games to show. Though not a lot of their console exclusives make me want to buy one.

Spacemonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#104  Edited By Spacemonger

No way am I going to pay 5000kr/€655/$870/£560. I guess I'll wait 14-18 months before I buy this thing. Price wasn't entirely unexpected, though.

posh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#105  Edited By posh

the MGSV wasn't nonsensical at all. it was fantastic, probably the clearest cinematic trailer of the bunch. maybe alex is one of the people that doesn't like or get MGS?

Skooky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

World of Tanks

Free with Xbox Live Gold.

???

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@sstwrt said:
    @toosweet said:

Well, nothing of interest for me except for Titanfall. That looks great. But if it's on the PC I may just go in that direction. Looking forward to hear what Sony has in store.

Incorrect. PC and Xbox One, with an Xbox 360 version outsourced to another developer.

fatalflame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#113  Edited By fatalflame

The press and general reactions seems to be very negative, although I personally was excited and loved most of the games revealed. Microsoft seemed to prove it can bring the games this time!

sstwrt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By sstwrt

@sp1der1976 said:

Amazon are now showing xbone and ps4 games at £55.00. If this is the final price, this is a £15 increase on current gen prices!

Someone also said they've listed controllers at £89.99.

@iamjohn I stand corrected. :)

JayDubya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#116  Edited By JayDubya

I'm not convinced. Here's hoping that Sony doesn't price match and sells for less.
    I'll pass on the Xbox One for now. Definitely not a lauch purchase.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The press and general reactions seems to be very negative, although I personally was excited and loved most of the games revealed. Microsoft seemed to prove it can bring the games this time!

What is it about the games they showed makes you excited to own an Xbox One when the majority of the games they showed aren't exclusive? Why would you watch that press conference, see those games and not think to yourself: "Those would be really fun on my PS4 or my PC?" Serious question, as I really can't understand what it is that has some people so excited unless they refuse to play anything on a non-Microsoft console.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#118  Edited By ikwal

Come on $499 is not an unexpected amount, it sound pretty reasonable to me. I'm totally getting one, and a PS4 as well. Nice to see lots of games in the conference instead of a bunch of irrelevant TV stuff.

Regular_Kirk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Regular_Kirk

To me the point of these new console events is to show how spending hundreds of dollars will be worth it because it will allow me to do some very cool things that I can't do with my current system. That did not exactly happen today.

Aside from so impressive visuals I saw much of the same ol' same ol'.

Wake me up when they show us more about Quantum Break.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamjohn said:
    @sstwrt said:
    @toosweet said:

Incorrect. PC and Xbox One, with an Xbox 360 version outsourced to another developer.

See that's what I hate about console makers calling games "exclusives" just because they're not on the other console...

They shouldn't be allowed to do that shit.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danielheard said:

Lets say you were going to put together a living room PC with a $500.00 budget. Would it be comparable to the hardware capabilities that Microsoft is offering?

Probably somewhat comparable at launch, with the $500 PC being slightly worse performance wise.

But look at something like Halo 3 vs. Halo 4. As the console gets more and more development time and more optimized engines, it will blow the shit out of any current PC in the $500-800 dollar range. Obviously the PC has the ability to be upgraded, but that's the way it always works.

There was this article where PC Gamer puts together a rig equal to the speculative PS4. It costs $600 bucks.

Honestly, though, since these new systems are basically PC's in and of themselves, I have a feeling that the "optimized engines" are going to favor PC's just about as well as Xbox One/PS4's. Obviously, this won't be the case with your Halos or Uncharteds, but those are first-party games, and if they're what you're after, you should definitely just get the requisite console.

jpmcosta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By jpmcosta

In my opinion, there is not much variety. If you want your typical macho-man, grand scheme, action adventure, Xbox One will deliver.

Otherwise, it's just an expensive machine, with not much to offer. I think Below is the game I'm most interested in. Titanfall was good too, though.

furiousjodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Price point is about what I expected and like a lot of what was shown. I'm already an Xbox guy, I'll probably preorder soon, curious what Sony will bring tonight?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#125  Edited By tourgen

@swedmiro said:

Swedish price on sites right now is: 5490SEK, roughly 840USD.

wow

sorry to hear that

danielheard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waffles13: So in your estimation, even at the relatively high sticker price, this console could be a reasonable investment at launch for the 4 plus years of gameplay?

EDfromRED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looked like a presentation for douches by douches. Titanfall was the only reveal that blew me away...but not a $500 system seller. I'll wait till the console goes 1/2 this price or less before even contemplating picking it up an XBONE. Unless Sony royally screws the pooch, it's be a PS4 for me this gen.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@iamjohn said:
    @fatalflame said:

What is it about the games they showed makes you excited to own an Xbox One when the majority of the games they showed aren't exclusive? Why would you watch that press conference, see those games and not think to yourself: "Those would be really fun on my PS4 or my PC?" Serious question, as I really can't understand what it is that has some people so excited unless they refuse to play anything on a non-Microsoft console.

Every single one of the MS Studios games shown could make their way onto the PC but it's pretty silly to pretend that you know they will.

SadisticWOlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witcher and Titanfall were the games that looked pretty cool (the smaller indie stuff all looked great too). And they are both coming to a system I already own!

$500 is pushing into PC territory, I'm surprised they'd be willing to push that high. Also, not region adjusting the price really is making this into Xbox America.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MICROSOFT FLOPPED HARD.

WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT THE XBOX ONE IS.

Myzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As the level of parity across Microsoft and Sony's consoles increases, the launch price comparison only becomes more important.

$449 puts Sony in an okay spot, but under $400 would be a huge advantage....IF they can afford to do that.

Parity across systems? The PS4 is going to be noticably more power than the Xbone.

fangrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna pass on the xbox One. Too expensive and no games caught my eye.

VagrantChrisX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By VagrantChrisX

I have a feeling Sony will blow the competition out of the water. I predict a $399 price mark on the PS4, $549 with the Vita Bundle, Streaming PS3 games from the hooked up console anywhere in the house using Bluetooth Technology. Tons of new games with no DRM technology behind it. It will be the true *One* Console to rule them all.

DoublePlusRad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By DoublePlusRad

Really looking forward to D4 and Titanfall, but I highly doubt I'll need an Xbox One to play either of them since Titanfall is already announced for PC, and D4 will almost certainly come to PS4 at some point.

omdata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@iamjohn: (sighs) Yeah, I know.

I've been gaming for many years. The current state of the industry is puzzling, exciting and saddening all at once. Unfortunately, consoles (where my heart has truly laid for most of those years) seem to be leading the charge in the "saddening" front.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#136  Edited By project343

Solid conference, but too few exclusives that entice me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@fourwude said:

MICROSOFT FLOPPED HARD.

WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT THE XBOX ONE IS.

Flop accusation quota achieved.

sp1der1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arrrggh, stop deleting my posts Opera!!!

Good old chrome? Anyhw, what I keep. Trying to say is this, Amazon are currently advertising xbone and ps4 games as £55, if this is the final retail price, then this is a £15 increase on current gen prices.

I guess this is what a future without second hand game's will look like. Abusive prices set by publishers who control all the shots, both with hardware producers and at retail. Welcome to the world of price fixing. Brilliant.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling Sony will blow the competition out of the water. I predict a $399 price mark on the PS4, $549 with the Vita Bundle, Streaming PS3 games from the hooked up console anywhere in the house using Bluetooth Technology. Tons of new games with no DRM technology behind it. It will be the true *One* Console to rule them all.

I lot of people seem fairly confident about that point, despite all the rumours to the contrary and the fact Sony refuse to speak up on the matter. It's fairly obvious at this point they do have some kind of DRM and they're staying quiet and letting Microsoft take the beating for it. By the time Sony announce theirs, everyone will have moved onto complaining about something else. Theirs will probably be less restrictive.. but we'll see what kind of impact that has on third party games.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@sp1der1976: Stuff is still 59.99 on Amazon in the US. Maybe an error?

THEBIGZED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By THEBIGZED

And now I'm considering staying up 4am for the Sony conference. What the hell is wrong with me?

MS had their best showing in years, although that's not a huge credit given their lackluster efforts of the last couple of years. MGSV was the highlight for me. The game will be so much fun to play I know already, wonder how it will look on current gen, tho? Hopefully not horrible. Also I wonder if there will be MP, not that MGS needs it necessarily but it could be fun especially in the open world settings.

ljrepoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By ljrepoman

All Sony hs to do is say the PS4 is $399 and its over they win this round even before it starts.

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
    CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All Sony hs to do is say the PS4 is $399 and its over they win this round even before it starts.

Or $599 and DRM free

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#144  Edited By Time_Lord

So it will roughly 800 NZ as consoles are normally double here ? And I have to pay for live as well ? Two words hell no.

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

While it may not have hit the highs it could have, this is easily Microsoft best showing since, say, 2009? Lot of cool-looking games and it feels like forever since we've seen smaller and more varied (AND NOT KINECT) games.

However, I am pissed and I mean PISSED at the pricing. $499? Fair enough; it's expensive but of course it is. But €499? That is complete highway robbery. Scant few things at press conference infuriate me but this actually does. Microsoft surely can't charge that much for it's system in Europe. SURELY. It's ridiculous and I'm fairly certain I won't be picking up a One come November.

sp1der1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ez123: or a placeholder? I certainly hope so. £89 was the UK placeholder at the weekend, so I find it suspicious that it drops today, like the retailers have had a little extra info that Ms didn't wanna share with the rest of us?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I never suggested they would, but since you asked: Ryse looks like a very pretty set of quick-time events and barely a game; Quantum Break sounds fascinating but they showed absolutely nothing and it's Remedy so who knows when it'll come out, sorry but I require more than an idea to get excited about something (see also Sunset Overdrive); Project Spark seems like a toolset in search of a game; I do not care about Forza 5 because I don't like serious racing games; Killer Instinct looks like a terrible idea; Halo is not a video game. D4 is the only thing they showed that sounds really appealing to me, but even that is a whole series of question marks. But yeah, this sure was a great show, right?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By spraynardtatum

It was not a bad conference at all. I thought a lot of those games looked pretty cool. The Xbone is still the same crappy device that was announced though. I'd rather not pay $500 to be data mined.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By THRICE_604

That was a REALLY solid conference. People will bitch over just about everything these days. Hard to keep people happy. smh

Really because pretty much all of the exclusives I found totally unappealing. All I saw was a new batch of Fusion Frenzys and Grabbed By the Ghoulies for this gen. Quirky and weird stuff that will totally bomb or just be terrible. And all these MS exclusives will dry up in a few years and they'll go back to old tricks using a small group of IPs as a crutch.

About an hour into it I was bored out of my mind just hoping for all the awesome stuff to come. MGSV was opening with a showstopper and Witcher 3 looked killer but they are available elsewhere. Really odd choices to sell me on your specific machine. A new Halo which once was a surefire guarantee now after 4 I'm not so sure. Was disappointed in the (4hr) campaign and the multiplayer 6 months later is a ghost town practically. And with less time then they had to make Halo 4 will this new one recapture the magic that Bungie had. I'm excited to see more Destiny tonight than the prospect of another Halo from 343i.

Titanfall is the only exclusive that showed any promise and it just looks like a pretty reskinned CoD on a unrecognizable Source engine. But that doesn't sell me on it. Same with the infinite power of the cloud, whenever I hear that my brain interprets it as well we only have 5GBs of ram to work with so we're offloading some of the work.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't they mentoin that your family can play online on your system IF you are a Gold member? So... Does that mean, that you still need to pay MS to acces basic features of your 60$ games? Yeah, fuck that shit, they seem to have some amazing games lined up, but that's real shitty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.