Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2013

Concept »

The nineteenth annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center on June 11-13, 2013.

The Guns of Navarro: Sifting Through the E3 Rubble

• 110 results
    Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Budwyzer

Is it just me, or is this http://pastebin.com/uCmdh9jB the best sales pitch for the X1 so far? No pr doublespeak or anything. Puts things in a better perspective

Hell yes that is the best goddamn way to put something! Plain fucking english. Honestly I hated the idea of the XB1 (formerly known as XBONE), until I read this. Now I can understand what they are going for. Pushing the industry standard in a new direction, and shoving Gamestop off a goddamn cliff like they need to be.

It all makes sense when you read it. Why does Steam have massive sales and super-low prices? Because DRM keeps people from being able to give away old games, so everyone has to make the purchase. And when everyone makes the purchase they can lower the cost of the game to receive the same net income.

Makes me wonder in the end though. If their end-goal is "Steam on the xbox" then why not just put Steam on the Xbox? Oh, and XBMC and Plex. Because many of us have cut the cord on cable and Satellite nowadays.

lane_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hi Kyle.

HockeyJohnston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things about Killer Instinct I learned from the presentation:

1) Fighting games are unfair unless you have a special controller

2) Fighting games are unfair if you play someone who has memorized all the moves

3) Sometimes you just get killed in fighting games and there's nothing you can do but watch it happen

4) If a girl is good at a fighting game, she's a shark. These are not 'normal people' games.

5) GO BUY IT FOLKS!!!! [crickets]

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
    LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruno Mars is awesome.

Shingro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Shingro

@messatic7 said:

Is it just me, or is this http://pastebin.com/uCmdh9jB the best sales pitch for the X1 so far? No pr doublespeak or anything. Puts things in a better perspective

Just because it's plain english, don't doubt that it's the same messages. "We want to" doesn't promise anything, "everyone and their mother complains" isn't any different from "consumers often complain that" and the idea that creating a closed marketplace on a closed system is like steam (which is a closed system on an open system) is the same in any way is laughable. "Hey guys, our idea with "all stores in the US are Walmart" is just like this other system where there's multiple super stores! All we want to do is lower prices for you guys! Honest! It totally won't change once we're the only game in town! Look at Apple, they're a closed store on a closed system doesn't charge you for anything!"

Oh wait... :V

(besides, all that talk about making games $40 is bunk because games have already been announced as staying at 60$)

To your point though, you're right, crass or not it actually sounds like a real human speaking real words even if they're still not promising anything they can deliver on and talking dreams and hopes. That makes it a WAY better pitch then anything MS has managed so far.

Archaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@budwyzer said:

@messatic7 said:

Hell yes that is the best goddamn way to put something! Plain fucking english. Honestly I hated the idea of the XB1 (formerly known as XBONE), until I read this. Now I can understand what they are going for. Pushing the industry standard in a new direction, and shoving Gamestop off a goddamn cliff like they need to be.

It all makes sense when you read it. Why does Steam have massive sales and super-low prices? Because DRM keeps people from being able to give away old games, so everyone has to make the purchase. And when everyone makes the purchase they can lower the cost of the game to receive the same net income.

Makes me wonder in the end though. If their end-goal is "Steam on the xbox" then why not just put Steam on the Xbox? Oh, and XBMC and Plex. Because many of us have cut the cord on cable and Satellite nowadays.

The thing is Sony appears to have a better strategy here, which is to lure people into digital distribution with lower prices and convenience while still being able to cater to consumers, like me, who like to actually own physical products (or at the very least be able to back my digital game up and use it offline - something no one but GOG.com seems to do). Microsoft is trying to jam digital distribution down everyone's throats and it's a bad way to operate when your consumers have other choices available to them.

Personally, I'm going PS4 and buying as many games as possible on physical media because I think our rights to our digitally purchased goods are total shit. I don't own a damn thing on Steam, PSN, or Xbox Live Arcade. Until our digital rights are addressed and brought to parity with physical media I'm not interested in what they're selling.

Add to that $100 cheaper and clearly more powerful hardware that's easier to program for and the choice is really, really easy this Gen.

Triforceowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This article highlights how this E3 functioned more toward broadcasting company policies than innovative game mechanics. What a disappointing E3.

KontX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By KontX

Way to kick that ParlayJesus in the 'nads!

Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By Neferon

Didn't have much time to follow E3 this year. Many questions were answered. Thanks Alex :)

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By kpaadet

@mrsmiley said:

My only complaint is that there are still clearly quite a lot of people at E3 who have no business being at E3. I am aware of my own hypocrisy, as I started out going to E3 as an underage hanger-on with no professional responsibilities justifying my presence there. But I also tried to be respectful, stay out of people's way, and just enjoy the games where I could. Some people come to E3 just to treat it as their own particular playground, and I really think that's gotta stop.

I completely agree. I also was one of those underage "tagalongs" at one point, but I did my absolute best to be courteous and stay out of the way. That said, I've been attending E3 for four years now as an actual games journalist (didn't make it this year, sadly), and I can't believe the amount of people on the floor that have nothing to do with the games industry. Essentially, if you're not a mainstream game sight like this one, Gamespot, IGN, etc, you're not going to get a personal appointment, which means you have to stand in line for hours to play anything. I thought GDC would fix this problem, since it's a developers conference, but it suffers from many of the same issues that E3 does. There are tons of great fan conventions like PAX that offer thrills to game fans, but I wish the E3 PRESS conference was restricted to just press and industry affiliates.

Both you and Alex defensive comments "well we always tried to get out of the way", reminds me of old people saying "well back when I was young I respected my elders". Guess what, your were just like those people, you took up space for people that had a reason to be there. Atleast acknowledge your own hypocrisy without using clichés like: "ohh when I did that thing I hate, I did it within reason".

fatbody75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@messatic7I couldn't agree with you more. Reading that paste bin paper put the XB1 in a whole new perspective for me. If they'd had this engineer come out on stage during the XB1 reveal I'll bet the reaction from those watching the press conference would have been much less demonizing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.