Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2013

Concept »

The nineteenth annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center on June 11-13, 2013.

The Official Nintendo E3 2013 Thread

Kowalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

That was really underwhelming. I can see why they chose the live stream over a press conference.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@winternet said:

Mega Man joins battle. Is that supposed to be exciting?

I'm with you, but judging by some other comments, yes

Heaven forbid people are interested in something you're not.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Platinum support and new smash means I need a WIiu at some point. Mega man reveal was very well done. Got me hype to try for him even if I was hoping for some actual gameplay.

Puzzler20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Puzzler20

I like what Nintendo showed, but they needed to show more than they did.

Zauzazu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As disappointing as the whole thing was, I still threw my hands up in the air and shouted yes when I saw Megaman. And I love the thought of handheld Smash Bros..

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#206  Edited By Vinny_Says

I missed a good chunk. Can someone list what they announced for 2013 and what they announced for 2014?

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By SnowyPliskin

@hailinel said:

@snowypliskin said:

no new zelda, no new metroid, !!! WTF Nintendo.

They've already said that they're working on a new Wii U Zelda, but it's way too early to show it. It makes sense for them to show off WInd Waker HD.

Also, Mega Man and the Animal Crossing villager? That should be a twist.

To not even tease anything is madness though. Two new character in an old franchise cant be your big reveal at a show like this, it just shows a lack of thought.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#208  Edited By Hailinel

What the heck was that? I cannot believe what I just saw. =-( What a total disgrace. Sure there are some good games, but that just wasn't enough... and the good games that are coming out aren't coming soon enough. I'm starting to regret the fact that I have ever purchased a WiiU. Thanks for nothing Nintendo. You just ruined my whole day.

@jared said:

Omg that was bad. No Zelda? No Metroid? Mario looked cool but the impact wasn't there without the press conference. Plus the lag...ugh.

LET THE HYPERBOLE COMMENCE.

Seriously, as far as showings go, it wasn't that bad. They showed off the games I expected them to show, threw in a couple of nice surprises, and left it that that. I would have loved to have seen more of SMTxFE, but I'll just have to wait.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

I like what Nintendo showed, but they needed to show more than they did.

Agreed.

duxstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By duxstar

If that retro game that everyone's been talking about is Donkey Kong, I have literally lost all faith in Nintendo, and will have to refrain from punching a whole in the wall.

One of the most competent studios on the planet, and incredibly talented group that could do any project in the world and they're stuck doing DONKEY KONG?? The people that gave us Metroid Prime, doing a 2d side scroller??? Who would be so incompetent to allow that to happen, the Wii U needs a killer game that drives systems, and their best studio gives us Donkey Kong.... I don't believe it, I can't.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@jared said:

Omg that was bad. No Zelda? No Metroid? Mario looked cool but the impact wasn't there without the press conference. Plus the lag...ugh.

There's really no sense in them announcing a new Zelda right now. It would take all of the wind out of Wind Waker HD's sails (excuse the incredibly appropriate pun). You don't just throw a 6-months-away-or-less game under the bus by hyping up a game that is like 12+ months away.

Unless you're Capcom, who announced Resident Evil 6 like a few weeks before Resident Evil: Raccoon City, once it became clear that they really weren't sabotaging much because Raccoon City was going to be a kinda bad, underselling game regardless. But that is not the same thing.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@vinny_says: You might want to edit the unintended slur out of that.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By rebgav

Bayonetta's new hairstyle; More interesting than Nintendo's entire line-up.

I don't know whether to feel bad for Nintendo fans or if they are super stoked about another Pokemon, another Mario 3D, another Mario Kart, Wind Waker again, another Smash Bros, etc. Is this a bummer or a banner year for Nintendo? Can't tell anymore.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@mildmolasses said:

@winternet said:

I really don't care. I was just asking. From the outside perspective it didn't look exciting, but wanted to know what people think.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#216  Edited By metalsnakezero

Well that was.......underwhelming. There are some good games like Wind Waker and the Monolith Soft game so by the time I get a WiiU there be enough games out.

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jared said:

There's really no sense in them announcing a new Zelda right now. It would take all of the wind out of Wind Waker HD's sails (excuse the incredibly appropriate pun). You don't just throw a 6-months-away-or-less game under the bus by hyping up a game that is like 12+ months away.

Unless you're Capcom, who announced Resident Evil 6 like a few weeks before Resident Evil: Raccoon City, once it became clear that they really weren't sabotaging much because Raccoon City was going to be a kinda bad, underselling game regardless. But that is not the same thing.

Dont you see!! They shouldnt be re-releasing old games in the first place!!

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That was an incredibly ok line up of games for... 2014

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#219  Edited By Nezza

Well that was a total disappointment from this Wii U owners perspective.

How do Nintendo expect to gain any traction when the only big hitters they have are scheduled for 2014? Not only that, but given the entire USP around the Wii U is the use of the control pad why would they expect any 3rd party developers to produce anything inovative for it (at the expense of not developing for Xbox/PS) if they themselves can't seem to be arsed to produce anything.

So what do we have? A couple of HD remakes of already existing 3DS titles and an anticipated sequel new that isn't out until 2014.

I'll be hitting up Art Academy though. Some may mock it, but it is a very good tool for learning the basics of drawing and painting.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#220  Edited By Nictel

@vinny_says said:

I missed a good chink. Can someone list what they announced for 2013 and what they announced for 2014?

2013:

No Caption Provided

2014:

Smash Brothers, Xenoblade, Art Academy

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@tireyo643 said:

What the heck was that? I cannot believe what I just saw. =-( What a total disgrace. Sure there are some good games, but that just wasn't enough... and the good games that are coming out aren't coming soon enough. I'm starting to regret the fact that I have ever purchased a WiiU. Thanks for nothing Nintendo. You just ruined my whole day.

@jared said:

LET THE HYPERBOLE COMMENCE.

Seriously, as far as showings go, it wasn't that bad. They showed off the games I expected them to show, threw in a couple of nice surprises, and left it that that. I would have loved to have seen more of SMTxFE, but I'll just have to wait.

Not bad, but not good or great enough though. As pitiful as the Microsoft and EA conference was, Nintendo just bombed themselves entirely! For the very first time, I just might get my first Playstation when it comes out.

Oh wait, I forgot about Earthbound coming this year... I have to keep my WiiU. -_-

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#222  Edited By mracoon

Oops, missed the video. Any place I can watch it again? The video player on Nintendo's site isn't working for me.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@duxstar said:

If that retro game that everyone's been talking about is Donkey Kong, I have literally lost all faith in Nintendo, and will have to refrain from punching a whole in the wall.

One of the most competent studios on the planet, and incredibly talented group that could do any project in the world and they're stuck doing DONKEY KONG?? The people that gave us Metroid Prime, doing a 2d side scroller??? Who would be so incompetent to allow that to happen, the Wii U needs a killer game that drives systems, and their best studio gives us Donkey Kong.... I don't believe it, I can't.

You do realise that Retro made the previous Donkey Kong Country game right? And that the game was critically acclaimed and one of the most successful platformers of the last decade? It makes sense from Nintendo's perspective. (Remember, Metroid Prime was not as successful as people think it was). I would have preferred a new IP but discounting it because it was a platformer is not a good reason to discount it.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#224  Edited By Vexxan

They showed a lot of great stuff but I had hoped for some bigger surprises. Getting a Wii U next year seems like a good idea.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Tireyo

Mighty Switch Force 2 is coming out.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero said:

@jared said:

Dont you see!! They shouldnt be re-releasing old games in the first place!!

OK, well yes, Wind Waker HD is pretty unnecessary. But they've already committed to making it, so until it launches, we won't be hearing very much about a new Zelda, other than "it obviously exists and Nintendo will talk about it later".

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The Neogaf reaction thread to what Retro has been working on is maybe my favorite thing to come from this whole E3.

lemonlateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By lemonlateralus

Im pretty disappointed that the new 3d mario isnt "Super Mario U-niverse"...it seems so obvious!

3d World feels like another retread :( Also i had hoped retro were going to revitalise a different franchise (starfox/fzero) but nope another Donkey Kong...:(

TwoArmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I came in thinking "I guess I'll get a WiiU when they release Smash Bros. or Metroid" and left thinking "I guess I'll get a WiiU in 2014". Didn't exactly blow my mind but I got what I was expecting out of it. Cool that they got Mega Man, shame Retro isn't working on something I'm into.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still no reason for me to buy a Wii U, sadly. Better luck next time, Nintendo!

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They didn't give people who don't have WiiU's a reason to want one. Other than that, they're giving their nostalgia obsessed fans what they love, and that works for them.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#233  Edited By MildMolasses

@mracoon: That's pretty accurate to what watching it "live" was like

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By Darji

Personally with this conference they buried the Wii U. There is no 3rd party support. All Nintendo now can do is trying to make as many games as possible by themselves or buy some games.

It is over.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Xeno gears/blade/saga (possibly phobe, if there's a space station.) sequel looked incredible.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#236  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

If you don't want to play Bayonetta 2, I feel bad for you. I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of it, though, personally, and I'm glad Nintendo are doing something with Mega Man. I grew up with the guy, and the way he's been treated in recent years is disheartening to say the least.

Also, hey, Monolith Soft's game still looks pretty alright, Mario Kart 8 looks kinda interesting with the weird double-sided track stuff. Almost like a Mario Kart Galaxy kinda thing? I dunno. Looks interesting, but I still hate blue shells too much to play that. SMT IV got shown a bit, A new Super Mario game where you can play as Peach... It might not be for everyone, but I think I'm gonna remain pretty happy over the next year or so.

That said, sure, some new stuff would be nice, but I bought my Wii U based on what they were guaranteed to have anyways. If they put out something besides SMT x Fire Emblem, Smash, and Bayonetta 2, that's just icing on the cake.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@twoarmed said:

@immortalsaiyan: Uh, what? They showed actual gameplay...

They showed people getting hit really close up. You can't tell anything from that other then it is a smash brothers game.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@mildmolasses said:

@winternet said:

It's not that don't think people can be interested in different things, it's that Nintendo just keeps putting out the same stuff over and over. I just find it hard to believe that people can get that excited for another Mario Kart or another Smash Bros. or another DKC. At what point do people demand more from Nintendo than just throwing a new third-party character into the mix?

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@likeassur said:

@mildmolasses said:

@winternet said:

It's not that don't think people can be interested in different things, it's that Nintendo just keeps putting out the same stuff over and over. I just find it hard to believe that people can get that excited for another Mario Kart or another Smash Bros. or another DKC. At what point do people demand more from Nintendo than just throwing a new third-party character into the mix?

Look at how well the console has sold thus far and you'll get your answer.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#240  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I didn't mind the stream. It didn't carry the same impact due to it not being a conference, but they showed some pretty cool stuff that I'm looking forward to playing (although a major lack of pikmin). It was a bit too short though. I'll buy a Wii U someday...

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@mildmolasses: Presumably it works the same way in which people can be excited for another Forza, or another Halo, or another of anything.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mildmolasses: I've been demanding new IP and ideas forever, or more Mother stuff and that doesn't happen very often. I mean there is X and...yeah.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#243  Edited By JJOR64

As a Nintendo fan, I enjoyed it. Still can't believe Mario Kart isn't coming this year.

sunsetstreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New trailers like Yoshi's Island and Mario & Luigi were released if people care, but weren't shown at the conference. As for the conference itself...I already own a Wii U so i'm strapped in on that, but more should have been shown. Excited for X, Bayonetta, and Donkey Kong (even if some aren't) but Mario multiplayer isn't to my taste, Mario Kart is fine, but not a huge push, and Smash, while I got caught up in the heat of the moment with the Mega Man reveal...well...the hype for Brawl was kinda more fun than Brawl itself in most cases, so hopefully they can pull another Melee, and not another Brawl. But too early to judge on that.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solid set of games, but a shame a lot of them are 2014.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By Tireyo

Oh hey now! I forgot that Oddworld is coming to Wii U too! That's another thing looking forward to. Totally forgot about it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By BisonHero

I understand people's disappointment, especially if you keep up with the industry.

By which I mean, Nintendo pretty much confirmed that Smash Bros. would be at this E3, so instead of it being one of many wild speculation possibilities, it was a guarantee, which meant the reveal trailer didn't have a huge impact. Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World are technically new, but look way too in line with their predecessor's overall feel and design (DKCR on the Wii and 3D Land on the 3DS, respectively). They seem more like the jump from Ocarina of Time to Majora's Mask (a remix with similar ideas), as opposed to a new design direction like Ocarina of Time to Wind Waker or Super Mario Sunshine to Super Mario Galaxy.

Mario Kart 8 looked like a Mario Kart game, which is pretty much what everyone expected.

And everything else was already revealed before today, and seeing some gameplay footage of Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 and X isn't really the same as a new game reveal.

So basically, the issue is that:

1. People knew Smash Bros. was coming.
    2. Their other new reveals are incredibly similar to the recent entries in their respective series.

I think the scenario that people were hoping for was:

1. Reveal of some kind of original game that one of Nintendo's core teams has come up with. For the love god, it's been a while since Nintendo came up with a new marquee series that wasn't "Wii [blank]".
    2. Barring that, some kind of reinvention of Star Fox/Metroid/F-Zero, series which received either no love on the Wii, or in Metroid's case, deeply flawed love. If you're not going to make an original game, at least focus on one of these underutilized series, instead of going back to the well with Mario and a samey Donkey Kong sequel.

Using Retro to continue Donkey Kong Country Returns is a bit of a bummer. Dear god, I hope they aren't committed to a trilogy of DKCR, like they were with Metroid Prime. I wish Nintendo would use Retro more like Next Level Games, who made 2 Mario Strikers, then Punch-Out!!, then Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. At least those guys are given some flexibility to change up what they do from project to project.

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
    CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Really sad Retro's new game is another Donkey Kong. Where's Metroid?

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
    CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.