Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2014

Concept »

The twentieth Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 10-12, 2014 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

E3 2014 Preorder Winners? What Did/Do You Preorder and Why?

• 62 results
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Just saw Destiny got its own preorder tab in the EU PSN store, when I checked if we also got the Ground Zeroes sale over here. We don't. However, I'm preordering Destiny. Ordered me 100$ worth of PSN bucks for my digital wallet. Can't wait to commit to this gem.

Destiny might just turn out to be this console generation's World of Warcraft. I see all the hooks. I see incredible style and polish. The full package. And if I preorder now, I'm a shoe-in for the Beta in mid-July. I have a hankering for something new.

So yeah - in terms of selling me their game, Bungie and Activision won this year's E3. Shut up and take my money! Literally.

So what game, if any, won you over early with its E3 showing?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Loading Video...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthorange:

Nuh-uh. I get Beta access. And the wonderful feeling of nothing where before I had a wad of hard cash. Duh.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Nothing, because I don't pre-order games very often.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Bayonetta 2, Smash bros, Metal Gear and The Order.

30% off at amazon for e3 preorders twisted my arm

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a great deal.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I got excited and checked and no luck. Apparently only Canada get this? :(

For 30% off I would have preordered some stuff.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I haven't pre ordered anything yet because I have literally $0 to my name right now but when I manage to get some I'll be pre ordering Destiny, The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne, and possibly the new Xenoblade (Even though I don't own a WiiU and probably won't when it's out).

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

only thing i'd consider is witcher 3 off gog as i get a discount having owned the first two. but who knows that deal may be good up until release and probably after, considering how generous CD Projekt Red is.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

only thing i'd consider is witcher 3 off gog as i get a discount having owned the first two. but who knows that deal may be good up until release and probably after, considering how generous CD Projekt Red is.

On release day, they will put out a press release saying that CD Projekt Red is paying customers to buy The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

"We really care about our fanbase. That's why we've deposited $61 into everyone's GOG wallet, so they can buy the game and have a little GOG spending money for later. ;D"

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If money issues don't get in the way i'm probably going to pick up a ps4 + Wolfenstein a week before Destiny comes out, and pre-order Destiny + Dragon Age Inquisition while I'm doing it.

i never usually pre-order but last few times i've tried to get a release day game it's been difficult, and i don't fully understand why - retail ordering less copies because of digital sales? distributors making less physical copies? i mean, why now? it was never an issue before.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jesus_Phish

Pre-ordering nothing, because I don't pre-order games. So really I'm the winner here!

@hh A friend who works in Gamestop in Ireland has told me that unless a game is going to be a big deal, like AC or CoD, they'll only order in as many copies as were preordered and then maybe a few (less than ten) more. Even for the big games like AC and CoD they won't order that many extra copies of the game and will judge how many they think they need off of preorders.

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Already have a preorder for Destiny, but if I didn't that GB Quick-look would have sold me.

Games I intend to preorder right now are: Bloodborne, The Order 1886, and No Man's Sky. The games I plan to wait a little bit for are Lords of the Fallen and The Evil Within.

Probably forgetting some other games (I just now remembered Dreadnought), so this list could change over time.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: i'm in ireland, and that's exactly the practice i've been seeing, but do you have any idea why it is? because they don't think they'll sell them? when you're turning away customers on release day telling them what other stores might have copies it just seems like bad business.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By abendlaender

Nothing, I don't Pre-Order games. I might break that rule for Witcher 3 but certainly not 9 months in advance.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Nodda, already had P4AU, Theatrhythm, DA:I, and Witcher preordered. Still not sure if I want to play Destiny on PC or PS4. Will be getting Smash Wii U, Bayo 2, and AC:U but I tend not to preorder games until they have a release date. Oh wait, AC:U has a release date. Well, that can still wait.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I don't pre-order games but what ever happens, MKX, Halo 5 and Arkham knight are on my "I will buy these games no matter what: list.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing, I don't Pre-Order games. I might break that rule for Witcher 3 but certainly not 9 months in advance.

If I'm getting games at launch I'll preorder 2 days or so before launch to still get the hot preorder dlc.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hh: There's a couple of reasons. One is space, most of our stores have tiny stock rooms, usually the stock room doubles up with other rooms, like the managers office or the break room. Another is the pre-owned business. Pre-owned adds to the stock room issue of needing space for all those pre-owned games, but it also means that once they start getting the pre-owned games back, they can sell those instead of new copies. And yeah the other is just that they don't want to take a punt on getting in games that might not sell.

If you're being told by the staff that another store might have it, it's because the staff in these stores usually don't care. I know a couple of guys who work in Gamestop and worked in Game before hand and the amount of crap they've to deal with from both customers and the company really doesn't motivate them to do best for the company and in most cases it's out of their hands.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lots of things. On Amazon. Because I don't have to spend a cent until they ship.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre-ordered Destiny pre-E3 through PSN (and the Quick Look EX just makes me way more interested in Destiny now), and then preordered Far Cry 4, Witcher 3, and Dragon Age.

Thus far I have ordered all PS4 games, nothing from the MS press conference really grabbed me I must say.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't pre-order anything since I have believed for awhile the "pre-order system" has done a lot of harm to the market and industry. This E3 has not changed my mind on the subject.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Threw down a pre-order on the master chief collection and Playstation TV on amazon. That way I won't forget to order them at all. Being able to stream my ps4 stuff while I'm bbq-ing outside kind of really entices me, it shouldn't but it really does. I had driveclub when it was supposed to come out last year, does that count? Oh, and I may do TLOU because I'm not above pre-ordering.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bmccann42

@extomar: I don't pre-order for any of the extras - there I agree with you about harm being done to the industry. I just pre-order on Amazon for ease of purchase and getting things delivered on the day of release (saves me going to Best Buy).

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#27 riostarwind  Moderator

These days I tend to pre order something if it's a limited edition item with extra stuff I want. Like I recently put in a pre order for the LE Danganronpa 2 on the NISA website. But since it's possible to preload Destiny a week before it comes out that is when I'll be pre ordering it.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pre-ordered an Xbox One. Will get it in September. Man.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ares42

I don't pre-order, but as far as games I've been convinced to check out that I wasn't already planning on getting the top one is probably Shadow of Mordor. Other than that I also came around on buying Xbox One/Sunset Overdrive once the console is released here (hopefully without Kinect). Evolve also was a game that wasn't on my radar at all that I now will probably check out.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I pre-ordered an Xbox One. Will get it in September. Man.

Better yet, I pre-ordered a Kinect for the Kinect-less Xbox One console I also ordered. But not really (I was already suck(er?)ed into actually pre-ordering the console - least I got it for $40 less than most).

If I'm going to pre-order something, it will be much closer to launch so I can wait out some deals. For example, I'd let the newest Civ/AlphaCentauri game do naughty stuff to me - or in other words, I'm going to buy it eventually - but even if I could pre-order it I'd wait until I scouted out the options for purchasing.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing was interesting enough to qualify for pre-order. That being said, I very rarely pre-order games this early. Usually I book something a month or few weeks before, while some Collector's Editions might earn a reservation as soon as it's possible.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zirilius

Broke down and finally pre-ordered Destiny just for the Beta access. I'll do Dragon Age soon as well but would rather have the money to pay it off before I do though.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because of the 30% off deals in Canada, I went a little crazy with the pre-orders:

The Last of Us

Destiny

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Battlefield: Hardline

The Order

The Witcher 3

BloodBorne

Lords of the Fallen

Uncharted 4

Star Wars Battlefront

Metal Gear Solid V

If any of these don't look worth a purchase as they reach release, I'll just cancel them. There were still a few more that really tempted me, especially The Division, but the line had to be drawn somewhere. Thank goodness many of these won't be out for a while...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Plan on picking these up (I only listed my 2014 games):

• Destiny
    • Dragon Age: Inquisition
    • Sunset Overdrive
    • Grand Theft Auto V

Maybe Shadow of Mordor? Maybe Evolve? Maybe Far Cry 4? Too many games, so little time.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't pre-order unless there's some good deal with it. That being said smash bros, mkx, and dragon age will all be mine on launch.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*looks at towering Steam backlog pre-summer sale*

sorry guys...i can't come out to play

No Caption Provided

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#38  Edited By mike

I was going to type something up with my thoughts on how preordering games is a bad idea, but I'll just leave this instead. Please take the time to watch it if you're someone who preorders games.

Loading Video...

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I usually only pre-order a few days before release when I know the game is good and there is some kind of bonus thing.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I pre-order games online so they show up at my door on release day, if I didn't I'd be heading to the shop, so I don't really give a shit if some dude on the internet looks down on other people who pre-order games. Pre-ordering works for me, I get the games I want to play, I get them on the day of release (sometimes I even get them early) and I occasionally get some extras for doing so. Oh boy, what a terrible person I am.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm tempted to preorder the destiny ps4 bundle since I'll get a ps4 eventually for Bloodborne. Holding myself back for now lol.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing.

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing. I sort of thought about maybe, at some point in the distant future, buying a Wii U, if they're ever on sale...

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I preordered Destiny based on what I've played in the alpha. I'm going to be playing a lot of it, especially if they support it over a long period of time. It's also one of the games actually coming out this year with a solid release date.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@mb: Preordering's harmless so long as people do their research beforehand. I know i want a PS4, I know I want Destiny, and I'm damned sure the stores here won't have the white PS4 in stock, so why not preorder and get a few little bonuses?

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Niceanims

Destiny... not sure if I should do PS4 or Xbone though. I like PS4's library more but all my friends have Xbone.

Edit: Not actually gonna preorder, but I'll buy it day one if the review is good.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Don't play into the hands of marketers. Don't preorder games.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Preordering's harmless so long as people do their research beforehand. I know i want a PS4, I know I want Destiny, and I'm damned sure the stores here won't have the white PS4 in stock, so why not preorder and get a few little bonuses?

It is totally not harmless! Preordering games only encourages shitty business practices in the industry - listen to what TotalBiscuit says in that video. It's long but worth the listen. I've long felt exactly the same way, he just breaks it down far better than I ever could.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Corevi

@mb: But if you know you want to play it day of you might as well. I preordered Bioshock Infinite because I KNEW it was going to be good and I didn't want the inevitable twist to be spoiled for me. I will preorder Witcher 3 because I KNOW it will be good.

Not everything is a mystery. If people loved the Alpha of Destiny and want to play more then there's no reason to not preorder. If a game has a complete lockdown on actual info then maybe you shouldn't preorder.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mike

@corruptedevil said:

@mb: But if you know you want to play it day of you might as well. I preordered Bioshock Infinite because I KNEW it was going to be good and I didn't want the inevitable twist to be spoiled for me. I will preorder Witcher 3 because I KNOW it will be good.

Not everything is a mystery. If people loved the Alpha of Destiny and want to play more then there's no reason to not preorder. If a game has a complete lockdown on actual info then maybe you shouldn't preorder.

You're not seeing the bigger picture, dude. The entire business practice of preordering and preorder bonuses and exclusives is one of the most harmful trends in the entire industry.

Developers and publishers lie about and misrepresent their games all the time. Day one DLC, preorder "bonuses", retailer specific bonuses, all coupled with release date review embargoes are just scummy, anti-consumer things to do. The notion that you can "know" a game is going to be great based on scant pre-release information or a beta is frankly a little ridiculous. Plenty of people "know" games are going to be good, plunk their $60 down after seeing a trailer, then they get something like Aliens: Colonial Marines, Sim City, Dead Space 3...that's all recently. People were so sure these games were going to be amazing based on either the property or the developer, and they were wrong. There are posts all over the forums about giant disappointments and many of them are from people who preordered many months in advance of release. In the case of preorders on Steam, you can't even back out of it like you can with many brick and mortar retailers. Do you really need some kind of lame skin or a slightly different weapon? A tomb you can raid in Tomb Raider that takes under 10 minutes to complete? I could go on and on. Or maybe you get a game that is broken and unplayable, and had you only waited until it was released to hand over your cash you would have known and could have avoided the whole situation.

Please watch or listen to the video I linked above and really listen to what he's saying. He explains all this stuff much better than I could. At least consider the overall implications of giving your money to a company for a product sight unseen and everything that goes along with that. I haven't preordered a game in years and I haven't missed out on anything - but I sure have saved myself a lot of money and grief by avoiding shit games that I otherwise thought were going to be awesome. Unless you're saving a significant amount of money by preordering or there is a limited physical edition that you just can't live without, I see nothing but reasons why one shouldn't do it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.