Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2014

Concept »

The twentieth Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 10-12, 2014 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

I don't really get the hate on Ubisoft's MP trailers.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I felt myself getting really really annoyed with all of the ragging on Ubisoft's MP trailers with scripted player dialogue. Jeff in particular just seemed like he completely despised them, but it sounded like he felt that way more because he doesn't play MP with friends, and not because he had any legitimate issues with it beyond being a bit corny.

As someone who plays games almost entirely with friends (and as a result, I fuckin' love the coop trend this E3, so excited for the next two years) I think the guys are being really bitter about a subject they don't really have any context on. I know most people aren't getting into MP THAT much, but I can honestly say that the tone of the players isn't THAT far off from the ways me and my friends communicate and coordinate in games when we play together. We are pretty tactical players who have done a lot of stuff like SWAT 4 game nights and play a lot of ArmA so maybe that's a big part of it, but honestly even my other gaming friends are pretty much the same, if a bit goofier/lighter about it all.

So, other than how "smooth" and scripted they felt, did anyone else feel that the player scripts were really all that bad? I can understand just not liking it because it feels a bit cheesy. I just don't get Jeff's "man no one fucking talks in video games." I do Jeff. I do.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@jarmahead: From my experience, it is certainly more common for there to be completely silent multiplayer lobbies than ones filled with chatting people. Of course, people who play with friends will likely spend more time chatting with each other--this was obviously what Ubisoft was trying to emulate with these trailers.

I wasn't really bothered by the pre-recorded stuff. It was MUCH better than the "improv'd" chat from last year; that stuff was just cringe-worthy. I appreciated that Ubisoft went ahead and stuck to that style but made it sound more natural by having it pre-recorded.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By glots

I used to communicate a bunch during some more tactical shooters, but never with a hushed voice, so the terrorists in the videogame wouldn't hear us, or otherwise go all "OH MY GOD YOU HAVE TO RUN ILL PROTETCT YOU OH NOOOO!" melodramatic like I'd be a terrible actor in a terrible action movie. So yeah, I'd assume most folks hated it for the cheesyness level going through the roof.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By joshwent

I felt myself getting really really annoyed with all of the ragging on Ubisoft's MP trailers with scripted player dialogue. Jeff in particular just seemed like he completely despised them, but it sounded like he felt that way more because he doesn't play MP with friends, and not because he had any legitimate issues with it beyond being a bit corny.

His issue (and mine) is just that it is a bit corny. That dialog was obviously scripted and it comes off as a little phony. As people writing, "what gamerz really talk like". That's it. He, and everyone else, also said that the game could be pretty cool.

If you're into something, don't worry when another person pokes fun at it, especially if you don't agree with their superficial criticisms. Their jabs at whatever aren't relevant to you because you disagree.

What I really don't get is the need that apparently a lot of folks in these forums have for the GB writers to get pumped about all of the same things that they do.

Like what you like.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only demo/trailer that felt authentic was the Little Big Planet 3 one. Everything else was scripted to hell and back. The Rainbow Six one had actors delivering lines as actors in a movie would. There's no realism to it. Its fake, its forced and it leaves a sour taste.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Sounded pretty dumb to me. I vastly preferred the AC Unity MP trailer where there was no need for roleplaying chatter.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Some people find it disingenuous to take obviously scripted dialogue and play it off as an accurate depiction of the natural experience. I'd have found that Rainbow Six trailer way more interesting if it were just a recording of the genuine reactions of the people playing as stuff happened.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had plenty of times where I've talked similarly with friends in a game. Even with hushed voices because I wanted to hear stuff around me.

It was still corny though and noticeably scripted, which I guess people just don't like.

Then again, I really enjoy ShackTac videos due to their communications so maybe I'm just odd.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Pre-recorded stuff always sounds just awefull to me. Ruins the trailer.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Corevi

I just want games that are single player, I'm terrible at games. people tend to get mad at me when I fuck things up, and I play games partially to relax. There were very few single player focused games this E3 and 90% of them were indie.

The only AAA games with a single player focus were Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3, Scalebound (just guessing here but the one time Platinum tried multiplayer it did not go well), No Man's Sky (Not AAA but looks like, is being promoted as, and has the budget of one), Metal Gear Solid 5, Batman Arkham Knight and Uncharted 4.

Which is a pretty good list of games but considering that at least 10x that were shown it's pretty pathetic, and it's also only one game every 2 months or so.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least they show gameplay, even if the acting is horrible.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way they were talking didn't come off as realistic at all. It was phony and forced and just plain awful. Up until then we've always just had the dude or lady on stage talking us through the action or letting us see it for ourselves.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was bad, but I think it was preferable to doing it the Little Big Planet 3 way, that was so annoying to watch and listen to. And it went on forever.

Besides when isn't the writing bad for anything regarding E3...?

metalhammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reality - especially with Rainbow Six - is that when I've played that with friends before, we often fuck the mission up and that's often more enjoyable than doing it "right".

Probably doesn't sell the game that well but I'd enjoy watching that hostage rescue going bad :)

There seems to be a lot of over-analysis of GB's commentary at the moment, I really don't get it...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By mike

During the Rainbow Six reveal I could hear the GB chat's collective eyes rolling. It was almost embarrassing that Ubisoft doesn't know their audience better than that at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-6041dd7056393
    deactivated-6041dd7056393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm perfectly ok with that stuff. Yeh the fake voice-chat is cheesy but no more than plenty of other shit that we get elsewhere all the time. And as far as the action being scripted, I think most people should be able to recognise that it's just their idealised vision for the game and therefore not immediately get carried away by it; but that doesn't stop these slick demos from being fun to watch.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I've always been fine with the canned chat stuff for MP demos because it is the same 'ideal' presentation as what we get with singleplayer demos. The amount of time SP demos show players 'missing' shots or walking around and slowly panning across landscapes is just as ridiculous. a 'true' SP demo would involve getting stuck on objects in the environment, accidentally bouncing grenades off walls, and the dude on stage with the controller would keep cursing under his breath.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The issue is that the idealized co-op multiplayer demo stuff where everyone uses a mic, works together, and communicates effectively is not representative of actual online gaming AT ALL. The Rainbow Six crowd will probably be better than most, but there's still going to be your fair share of idiots blaring some music over the mic, yelling racial slurs at each other, speaking in different languages, generally f***ing up the game either out of griefing or sheer ineptitude, etc. For example, the "terrorist" group appeared to be able to simply shoot the hostage and force the rainbow group to heal her. If that really makes it to the game, jackasses would do that shit over and over again. I'm REALLY pumped for any RB6 game, but they'll need to do some serious balancing and create measures to discourage the general dumbassery within online multiplayer to even approach anything like that demo ever happening in reality. That's why people hate this stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.